Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

I don't come on here much these days but fuuuuck me. 43 pages! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Can anyone offer any guesses on whether this is a suitable candidate for conversion?

No serial number etc. seller has told me it seems to be thermostatic, can’t see or hear a compressor. Apparently there is a temp control dial inside. Looks to be an 18 bottle size. Would also be good to get a pointer on how much I might fit in here..

large.IMG_7646.png.4303845a7cd6456d1b402847ae39cd55.png

large.IMG_7647.png.bf04a3f90c3ccecbd8111de5bc557d4a.png

4 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

Can anyone offer any guesses on whether this is a suitable candidate for conversion?

No serial number etc. seller has told me it seems to be thermostatic, can’t see or hear a compressor. Apparently there is a temp control dial inside. Looks to be an 18 bottle size. Would also be good to get a pointer on how much I might fit in here..

After a quick Google, looks like a Baumatic. Looking on their website. Looks like their 18 bottle and 28 bottle cooler do not have a compressor and are peltier based. Looks like a good option. As for how much would fit in it, I don't know. I'm yet to use my 18 bottle fridge. I would think as stated in the early part of this thread, 28 bottle fits 9oz, so maybe 18 bottle 6 or so ?

• Thanks 1

I just finished a 18 bottle peltier wine cooler conversion, not a baumatic (mine's a cookology CWTE18BK). Planning to report on it in a week once I've fully harvested. I stupidly decided to do bagseeds for my first grow and they all had different flowering times.

I'm a noob so I think the capacity will be fine for me. 6-8 oz wet seems feasible. I chopped down a tiny plant that was 23g wet about 12 hours ago and it's taking up barely any space at all, I've removed the top shelf right now just to give it some space before I fill it up more.

WRyh5nU.png

Sorry if the photos a little blurry, I was rushing to get a pic quickly to close the door lol.

I also didn't drill a hole in the side of the fridge. I'm simply running the cables out the side of the door, the gasket seems to handle a 3mm wire fine. It still makes that seal noise fridges do when you open it up. I saw some of the meat curing fridge conversions had simply run wires out the fridge (example here, not mine https://imgur.com/a/aN7ZMXu ) and thought fuck it, I'll see if it works. I bought some child safety cupboard straps to apply extra closing pressure to the door, but I haven't actually applied them yet and I don't think it'll be necessary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Canoob @inceywinceyspider did you guys both get a Klarstein Barolo 28 recently? I can’t find them listed anywhere. The only thing I can find is on fleabay from hifi-tower and listed as ‘wine cooler fridge 28 bottles’.

12 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

That looks like mine, same brand at least ,ask for pictures of the inside back wall or for the make and model on the back panel of your not sure but I expect it's worth going for a look. 

1 hour ago, NormanNugget said:

@Canoob @inceywinceyspider did you guys both get a Klarstein Barolo 28 recently? I can’t find them listed anywhere. The only thing I can find is on fleabay from hifi-tower and listed as ‘wine cooler fridge 28 bottles’.

That's the one, 'free standing 6 shelves 70 litre LCD display black"

@th5ye I think they meant that the weight once it is dried would be about 6 or 9 oz rather than the wet weight going in.

Posted (edited)

I haven't filled the fridge yet so I'm working with internet maths, but the Cannatrol says it can hold 1.1-2.1lbs (17-33oz) of wet flower, which dries down to 10-20oz. Theoretical numbers for an 18 bottle fridge would be 10-20oz wet, 3-6oz dry.

I don't know how much I trust that upper limit, so I'm erring on the lower end of the numbers. Cannatrol is 70l capacity which is the same as most 28 wine fridges so the numbers would be the same. Mine is 46l, approx 60% of the size when accounting for the dehumidifier.

Edit: I fucking suck at maths, think I got it this time. Worked out the dry weights totally wrong, I'm assuming you lose 70%ish weight from wet to dry. 

Edited by th5ye
  • Like 1

The final piece of the puzzle for me are the shelf liners.

I see two options, silicone baking mats or Teflon coated bbq grill mats. Both are food safe just wondering whether there’s and appreciable difference other than the silicon being twice the price. 

@inceywinceyspider @th5ye @Canoob as recent converters what have you guys used?

I used nothing so far as I leave all the bud on the stems so they just sit on the shelves.

I was thinking about some stainless steel mesh.

Personally I would avoid teflon as smoking ptfe is very bad for the lungs, I imagine vapourising it would be similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

The final piece of the puzzle for me are the shelf liners.

I see two options, silicone baking mats or Teflon coated bbq grill mats. Both are food safe just wondering whether there’s and appreciable difference other than the silicon being twice the price. 

@inceywinceyspider @th5ye @Canoob as recent converters what have you guys used?

I've not finished with the shelves yet. I'm going to use silicon dehydrator sheets on them though. I already have them from fleabay. 

• Like 1

I’d love to know how much dehumidification is necessary on these non compressor units. I’ve always had a hunch they’re about right without the dehum, which would put out a

bit of heat in use.. 

can someone take readings over a few days BEFORE the conversion please.. 😁

@Slippy One It all depends on ambient temperatures. The warmer it is outside the fridge the more it will run it's pletier and the less the dehumidifier will need to run. So you'd need quite a lot of data to really get any useful insights. 

I highly doubt my fridge would be effective without the dehumidifier, but by all means give it a try, just have the other kit close to hand in case it turns out not to work.