IMPORTANT: HPLVD

blackpoolbouncer

I pretty sure english rick was setting up something involving canna tissue culture a few years ago...i must admit since their forum upgrade over at ic I haven't been a frequent visitor.

Anyone know rick or had any dealings with 'the coconut crew'

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 3

Found a company called micro clone on Etsy but they also have a webpage, the guy done some videos on YouTube many moons ago. Can get a kit that does around 50 tc for 190ish. 

Still need a pressure cooker and I'd opt for some 25x jewellers glasses if your going to try meristem. 

Still a lot cheaper then sourcing everything by yourself. 

• Like 2

:wallbash: tried to embed this video about hlvd and meristem, worth a watch though. Seems dark heart treat the plants with heat, cold or chemo to suppress the growth of the viroid before putting it through the meristem process. 

• Like 2

The Etsy shop is away on holiday so you have to use there website, means it's not that much cheaper then sourcing it yourself since it's $60-90 shipping :ohmygod:

Watched a couple more videos and it's seems 25-50x magnification is needed to see the meristem clearly and they recommend a binocular microscope. 

Also the heat treatment is around 37° for around 4 weeks, then you can start the TC. 

Normal nodal tc takes around 3-5 months which will "reset" the genetics aka reintroduce vigour and yield but meristem takes 5-8 months to give you viral free plants which then can be potted up in props and eventually hardened off. 

Who said I'm obsessive lol.

Sorry for the info dump just trying to save people some time :hippy:.

• Like 8

I've taught plant cloning (meristematic, seed flasking, even simple uni open day practicals for undergrads) for a variety of things and worked professionally in a date palm cloning lab. I can tell you now that TC is not a viable/sensible way of keeping a mum library for the average hobbyist. 

It's easy enough to actually achieve, but requires a lot of investment and time and startup is slow. A massive fuck about for the average Joe. Really only worthwhile for the large scale producers that can absorb the setup costs and offset the timescales with batch production.

Of course if you fancy just doing it for giggles then I'd actively encourage it.

• Like 13

@FarmerPalmersNT I was just going to give it a bash to see if I could possibly clean some cuts up or at least lower the viral load then hopefully it would just be a case of keeping mom's normally, that's the method behind the madness lol

Like you say it's a right ballache to achieve for hobby growers like us, Ive been keeping an eye on my mom tent and I can keep it around the 23° mark for TC part. 

I've a requested a research paper from a Czech researcher who managed to lower the viral load using heat treatment ( 37° for 4 5 day stints ) but this was on hops. 

I've priced everything and can get all the gear for around £3-400, that's with a binocular microscope.

It could go to shit but nothing ventured nothing gained lol.

• Like 8

Yeah mate, get it done. It'll be fun if nothing else! Do think hard about how you intend to  maintain sterility though or you'll just spunk a lot of money on some pretty mould in jars. That'll be your biggest problem with longevity, especially without a laminar flow cabinet. Glove boxes and the like are ok, but far from ideal.

• Like 4

We've got a little hepa filter air purifier we used in the little ones room so was thinking of giving that a go along with being masked up and well scrubbed with a diy laminar flow box, the misses is gonna grab me some sterile gloves from work also. Not gonna say this would deffo work though as I've never done anything like this before. Though I've always fancied giving it a go just not the meristem part. 

Roll on legalisation like the states, they can get plants tested and such for next to nothing compared to over here. 

Anything involving slants or agar etc without a flow hood is hard work........but not impossible. 

I've done hundreds of plates and slants in a SAB and lots of g2g transfers. With probably a less than 5% contam. But that's with some hellish sterile procedure......like well over the top. 

I think the time exposed while doing the meristem gathering operation will be the issue. It's not too hard to avoid contamination when your opening plates for seconds and working with material only exposed for seconds.

The plant preservative may help though 

If you've never done sterile work with open agar your in for an eye opener how easy contams can happen. 

When using a SAB I'd be wearing a surgical mask, tvyk overalls, brushed teeth and after a shower. 

It's supposing how much contamination you spread. 

I think its time for a new thread. I'll get one up tomorrow then we can keep all this info together.

• Like 3