Old School Genetics

MindSoup

5 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

I have a pack of that in the fridge, I'll pop them soon and report back...

I read a few reports on reddit/forums that they were good but you need a decent pheno for potency - that put me off a tiny bit but I nearly went for them too. The Josh D BlueBerry one too as again potency looked good.

Can't grow em all!

I might mix in some Karma regs stuff in the lineup, can't decide between Biker Kush and the Old Dirty Biker to go with them. I have headbanger in the fridge though so I might just run some of those.

You can tell I'm on a bit of a potency drive here...

• Like 3

Yeah I think I read a post from you saying that about the potency, definitely a concern but I'll take the risk now I have them.

4 minutes ago, DeltaMelter said:

You can tell I'm on a bit of a potency drive here...

I can't remember if you've tried OW90's? That is "facemelting" as @MindSoup put it lol

• Like 2

@latigid aikon That's the thing - I never really liked WW, I just couldn't get on with the flavour. I think I smoked enough of it back in the day that I've had my fill of it. I'm probably totally wrong though and I would love it now (OW90's) but I think that baby-sick pheno put me off years ago. I dodged the Widow Road for the same reason.

I don't even like Stardawg that much after running some GhettoBlaster and GorillaDawg, it's got an earthy wet-dog thing going on that I don't like.

Basically, I'm a picky twat. In four years growing I've had one keeper.

• Like 4

Fair play mate, it'd be boring if we all liked the same thing! lol

My Ghettoblaster has a kind of nutty tangy thing going on, that's after a few months in the jar though. I can't stand the damp dog smell when you get it from a dishwasher (or a dog I guess lol)

43 minutes ago, DeltaMelter said:

Basically, I'm a picky twat. In four years growing I've had one keeper.

I wish I was the same, I have way too many mother plants, I really need to rationalise it.

• Like 3

This thread is very addictive.

I have seed buying compulsory sindrome, but it is 8 months I am free from buying seeds.

Can you share any comment received regarding the silver Haze '98? It seems top top

• Like 3

@AmnesialocalMy silver haze '98 is still fairly freshly cut but it's already very nice, a proper up high. The only downsides are that it took 90 days to flower and out of the five plants I grew one of them wasn't as good as the rest, expect some variability because it is an S1, I found the OW90's (also an S1) to be similar, out of six widows I grew two were much better than the rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Amnesialocal I only popped one bean myself, I got lucky with an absolute beast, not your typical SSH, more skunky, I knicknamed mine Sour Milk Haze, lost her a while back unfortunately. Big stretch, big yield, top shelf quality, takes a while but it's worth the wait. 

• Like 5

Order sent, I'll let you know what I receive when they arrive, already threatening me with freebies because the discount code wasn't available! The Horror

• Like 4

@DeltaMelter

You might be OK with the flavour of the widow, I've only done 2 but they were nothing like widow. Nice enough weed though. 

I forgot I really liked the old man's haze, still got seeds left too :naughty:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KC said:

but they were nothing like widow

80% indica

20% sativa

I am aware this doesn't count a lot but, mine allegedly also an original old school WW ( from Bilbo) is alledely:

40% indica

60% sativa

Personally I am not able to find one WW that taste as the '00 use to try in Delft.

But I am always more convinced that its not the WW genetics that changed but myself  😋

• Like 1

I feel like white widow is one of the most contentious strains out there. From memory there's at least 3 people that claimed(ed) to be the original breeder for a start. Just about every seed bank/breeder to have ever exist has had their own version  of it etc. Add on the fact that black market dealers have always been prone to sell whatever they have under the name of some legendary/trending strain and I find it hard to see how anyone can claim to really know anything about it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "white widow" for every possible combination of sativa:indica ratios. 

All that being said I remember @4kali getting hold of the baby sick widow to make his skunk x widow, PR1 was the name iirc. Of all the people I "know" 4K is the person who's knowledge on the subject I'd trust the most, but I doubt even he would want to make a guess at the sativa: Indica ratio. 

But what even is indica or sativa? Can you even quantify these supposed ratios with a DNA test? I understand they're purpose as a way to describe certain characteristics, but they're not scientific terms by any means and I feel like they're becoming antiquated. 

Thank you for listening to my TED talk lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I have a cut of White Widow I picked up not so long ago. Very interesting plant. Not flowered her, but based off veg growth i'd say she is one of the more indica leaning cuts I have. She's a slow vegger, quite a squat plant and has the most unique leaves out of all of my cuts. They are heavily curved inwards at the center of each finger.

Actually pretty excited to try this one.

• Like 3

Basically if its not covered in snow and doesn't ming of cats piss/ammonia it's not what I think of as widow. I had loads of freebies from femaleseeds, they didn't even look like they had trichomes on. Again lovely weed though :)

Edited by KC
Predictive
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "white widow" for every possible combination of sativa:indica ratios. 

I agree and between all the seeds banks, probably happen.

Nevertheless Old School Genetic state clearly that this WW is very indica and has very narcotic effect.

36 minutes ago, KC said:

Basically if its not covered in snow and doesn't ming of cats piss/ammonia it's not what I think of as widow.

Piss? WW? That very new to me.

Onion/cat piss to me is absolutely not WW.

Hawaiian snow smell cat piss.

Maybe this is Shanti version.

As per Shanti in his last interview in youtubo he said that are needed 2-3 pack of seeds to be able to find the original WW pheno we used to know.

Would be very cool to collect all the 20-30 ( maybe more) varieties of WW that exist and grow all of them and compare :)

• Like 1