DIY Auto-Watering & Drain to Waste System.

Great thread this! Spent an hour plus reading it all and ooh I'm now even more tempted to convert from the dirt with this automated drip feeding malarky :yep:

• Like 5

When do people start using their drippers?

I've been hand watering with a rose can, just potted up in to the final 11L pots today and thinking of 1 week gentle watering with the can and then starting the drippers with a full soak & 10% run off.....

@@dingo bingo

I usually hand water once every other day/third day to start, feeling the weight of the pots. When the frequency of the pot becoming light increases to once a day, I start with the drippers.

• Like 2

When do people start using their drippers?

I've been hand watering with a rose can, just potted up in to the final 11L pots today and thinking of 1 week gentle watering with the can and then starting the drippers with a full soak & 10% run off.....

i only use drippers in flower.hand water in smaller pots in vegging

@@dingo bingo

I usually hand water once every other day/third day to start, feeling the weight of the pots. When the frequency of the pot becoming light increases to once a day, I start with the drippers.

How much water do you give them when hand watering mate?

@@dingo bingo

How long is a piece of string? I can't answer that for you dude. Just pour your feed on them until you get 10-25% run off, that's how much lol

So you always water to run off even after plants have just been potted up? I thought it was best to only water them a bit at that stage so as not to overwater?

• 1 month later...

I've long used 4 x 11L pots of coco under each 600 (they need watering every 48 hrs) but I'm thinking of using 7.5L's for the next crop so I can water every day via the timer (it's a pain going every 48 hrs because the days change each week).

Anyone gone as small as this? Still get good yields?

@@dingo bingo

Pot size is pretty irrelevant in coco, I've had 7-10 oz monsters in as little as 6.5L pots. You've got to water more often, the bigger the pot the less you have to water

Once the pot has rooted you should ideally be watering every day, regardless of pot size.

Edited by Golden Syrup
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My new tent is on order and I'm looking to go Coco with it so want to organize some form of self feeding system. It's for a 1.2m2 tent with either 2x2 / 3x3 or 4x4 plants.

Could I get away using a pump like this or do I need a more powerful one?

300L/H Ultra-quiet Submersible Water Pump Fish Tank Water Pond UK 220-240V - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322241058886

I also need to keep the mixture fresh so another pump the same as above could be used exactly for this?

Obviosuly then I need line, it's say it has a 12mm outlet so a piece of short 12mm pipe which I already have. For the stopper I'll just bend the end over and use a zip tie.

Then I need some T pieces and a puncture tool, some 4mm line.

Is there not an off the shelf kit rather then ordering all these little bits seperately? I don't paying a bit extra for the convience... lol I gotta feeling I'll cock this up somehow..!

Otherwise hempy buckets is the other option! :)

Edited by AppleJuiceUK

@@AppleJuiceUK

Have you read the thread? A straight line with a stop end or w/e won't give even amounts to all the pots, the drip lines closest the stop end will output more. You need to make a "drip ring", see below:

drip

Water has to fill and pressurise the outer circle before it will push water down the drip lines, meaning that it'll be equal amounts of water running down each drip line.
  • Like 2

@@AppleJuiceUK

Have you read the thread? A straight line with a stop end or w/e won't give even amounts to all the pots, the drip lines closest the stop end will output more. You need to make a "drip ring", see below:

Water has to fill and pressurise the outer circle before it will push water down the drip lines, meaning that it'll be equal amounts of water running down each drip line.

Looks snazzy, will have to bare that in mind, but why the red cut off near the center?

• 4 weeks later...