DIY Auto-Watering & Drain to Waste System.

ba

raw topic pal well informed i only have 2 questions-1 do u only fill resevir weekly or wen feed runs out-2 d u use resivor for vegging of only flowering-3 wat size resicour is advisable for 4 plants & could it b used to fed say +- 30 plants in 2l pots that have been vegged for 2 wks maxie a sea of green

with thanks

Great thanks. Have got some leftover line I will use then but nothing to connect until I can get to the shop. Anything stopping me just putting a hole in it in the same place I would have done if fitted correctly? So without using any further pipe at all. I'm thinking it would have the same effect without having the line connected up but be good to hear if you can confirm either way.

Sorry to hear that. Would you mind me asking what happened?

Yes m8 a hole would be fine as long as its not spurting out everywhere & going back to the res. Apologies for the delay in answering

ba

raw topic pal well informed i only have 2 questions-1 do u only fill resevir weekly or wen feed runs out-2 d u use resivor for vegging of only flowering-3 wat size resicour is advisable for 4 plants & could it b used to fed say +- 30 plants in 2l pots that have been vegged for 2 wks maxie a sea of green

with thanks

Yes m8 i fill it weekly or just when its nearly empty, the res is 200ltr & this lasts me 7/8 days for 8 plants. I only use the res for flowering plants

hope that helps

• 2 months later...

Hi, great read from start to finish good job only wish I read this before I bought some bits and bobs.I have kind of the same setup, but instead of a length of tube with a run of outlets I have a t piece with 8 dripper outlets on. I have blocked the other end of the t. I'm concerned about the siphon effect happening! I only flower 2-6 plants at a time so if I leave the two dripper outlets further most away on the t with no dripper tube on will this prevent any floods! Thanks for the read Saint enjoyed it.

You guys that auto feed from a res in the loft...

Do you not have trouble with the water being too warm in the summer months?

Or is that only really a problem for full hydro systems?

Cheers!

@@emergin virgin

Patience grass Hopper. My Res temps regularly exceed 21c during the warmer months and I've never had a problem. But rest of the year it stays about 20c, if IRS warm all the time I'd say try and cool it but an odd spell of warmish water shouldn't hurt too much

• Like 2

In the warmer months I get in to a routine of freezing a 5L bottle of water and dropping it in to the res to cool it as it defrosts, do that in the morning then again in the early evening.

• Like 4

Righto you coco wizards, firstly thanks to the Saint for this thread. I've avoided coco for a long time because of the need to daily hand water. I need sometimes to go 2 or three days without looking in. This thread was the push I needed.

Just a question, how would you go about using drippers with a perpetual grow? I like to chop a plant every 2 to 4 weeks. Ideally 4 plants in flower at all times. Of course they will be at different stages of growth, possibly different strains, with different requirements.

How could I make that work? Could I feed a low ec and add more by hand if they needed it? Or feed water only, to stop the coco drying out after a good strong feed? 2 or 3 days? What about a weeks holiday? How could I work it?

Cheers

Zz

Edited by zztopbudz

@@zztopbudz

You could try the Lucas formula amended for coco. Girls get fed on the same nute strengh throughout 12/12, IIRC. Only thing is it uses reverse osmosis water.

Cheers man, I used to have a marine fish tank, sod all that messing around with ro water. Let's try and have a decent first run with coco, I think.

How do people drip feed with different strains? Surely different strains may have different nutritional needs.

Surely there must be a way, feed a low ec, add a stronger feed every few days for a hungry plant?

I could have 4 plants, a couple of weeks apart. So how could I automate their feeding? Are we talking 4 different reses?

Zz

Edited by zztopbudz

I imagine you could get away with giving them all the same low feed for a few days but probably not ideal, even when you're not away it'd take a while rebalancing the res for different strains.

I guess 4 separate res's would be ideal, 1 air pump serving the 4, a circulation pump in each and either 1 pump you can alternate between res's if youre there to do it manually or a pump in each res to feed the dripper/s.

Cheers man, I used to have a marine fish tank, sod all that messing around with ro water. Let's try and have a decent first run with coco, I think.

How do people drip feed with different strains? Surely different strains may have different nutritional needs.

Surely there must be a way, feed a low ec, add a stronger feed every few days for a hungry plant?

I could have 4 plants, a couple of weeks apart. So how could I automate their feeding? Are we talking 4 different reses?

Zz

I'd float the E.C at 1.2 and go from there I reckon that'll be sound. Heath Robinson used to run a perpetual RDWC with different strains and floated his E.C at 1.2 to some spectacular results you can find some pictures/diaries after a quick google. Not coco related but somewhat relavent to your post with the addition of the cation exchange it might even work better for what you've got planned.

• Like 1

I imagine you could get away with giving them all the same low feed for a few days but probably not ideal, even when you're not away it'd take a while rebalancing the res for different strains.

I guess 4 separate res's would be ideal, 1 air pump serving the 4, a circulation pump in each and either 1 pump you can alternate between res's if youre there to do it manually or a pump in each res to feed the dripper/s.

I was guessing this would be the only way to truly control each plant to perfection. Just not really feasible with space. 4 pumps 4 timers, all money. For the future maybe different location.

Cheers

I'd float the E.C at 1.2 and go from there I reckon that'll be sound. Heath Robinson used to run a perpetual RDWC with different strains and floated his E.C at 1.2 to some spectacular results you can find some pictures/diaries after a quick google. Not coco related but somewhat relavent to your post with the addition of the cation exchange it might even work better for what you've got planned.

Cheers Golden

This was probably what I was gonna try. If I have a particular plant, looking hungry, I will just have to give additional hand feedings.

I had better get a feel for the coco first.

Thanks

Zz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to run an irrigation setup for my next run, heres a little crude diagram of it.

gallery_89272_10293_38706.jpg

Instead of stop ends at the end of the 13mm pipes though I'm just going to make it one complete ring as @@Golden Syrup suggested it as it would provide more even pressure.

I'm still a little unsure what pump to use, I was think the Maxi Jet 1000 or 1200 but I was looking at a site there and i came across New Jet pumps and I was thinking the NJ 1700 which you can vary between 1000-1700 L/Hr would maybe be a better option, slightly more expensive than the Maxi Jet but with the higher optional output it may be worth it.

Any opinions and tips welcome guys :yep:

Also where would I put the anti siphon pipe on this setup?

e2a:- just to add its 11L pots which is why I wanted to use 2 drippers per pot.

Edited by ELO
  • Like 1