DIY Auto-Watering & Drain to Waste System.

@ TheSaint

After seeing your setup I went with the blue drippers first time round and they were great too. Though when I went to growshop i was told the 2l/h drippers need to be used with coco, sold me saying how they'd ensure even soaking throughout the pot.Good job theyre only cheap! I'll get some more blue drippers asap and fingers crossed they'll all work like clockwork!

Can someone confirm for me please if the head on the MJ750 pump is 12mm. Have ordered everything for my new coco diy set up, bar the delivery tubing and the 4mm nipples. Just waiting for it to come. Seedlings 5 days old. Nowt but root stim so far. When do you coco guys start introducing feeds? Oh, btw, thanks for a great thread 'the saint'. Cant wait to set it up. Atb, reds.

Guest Kipper420

Can someone confirm for me please if the head on the MJ750 pump is 12mm. Have ordered everything for my new coco diy set up, bar the delivery tubing and the 4mm nipples. Just waiting for it to come. Seedlings 5 days old. Nowt but root stim so far. When do you coco guys start introducing feeds? Oh, btw, thanks for a great thread 'the saint'. Cant wait to set it up. Atb, reds.

Hi mate.

You should be feeding your plants straight away, coco is an inert substance and contains absolutely no nutrients.

@@reds

Sorry m8 i just seen your post.

Yes the head on the MJ is either 12 or 13mm, im sure it was 13 m8 so you should be fine.

Regarding seedlings & feed, i usually wet my jiffys with plain water, then once the seeds have popped i then pop them in a 1ltr pot with coco & start feeding straight away. Just a low ec to start, usually around ec0.6, then just read them after that & feed them accordingly. if they are looking a light shade of green then up your ec a little, if they go too dark lush looking then drop your ec a little ;)

Edited by TheSaint

Nice one mate. Have you noticed any benefit from having the 'manifold' outside the rez, as apposed to inside? Have bought the kit, bar the rez and air pump&stone/curtain/disc. Juzt going thru my head whats best, before I start cutting up thr pipe work. And when the nute pump came, it had the same spec as the MJ750 I ordered from Greens, but was different to yours and everyone elses MJ pump! It looks similar but its outlet head can rotate around, like a watch hand, 360 degrees. Think the make is Newa. Just hope its as reliable as the MJ750.

reds.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my setup working smoothly now though there's always some tinkering to do! I'm wondering if I have optimal oxygen levels in my res.

I'm using a 200L butt which I fill to 140L when the solutions dropped to about 60L. I flume with a Hailea HX2500 pump that floats on top of the nute solution in a bit of polystyrene, I'm not sure if the pump has enough power for the quantity of water i'm trying to aerate?

@@dingo bingo

Hey m8 i have an airstone in my res as well as another small pump to keep plenty movement in the solution.

When i look into my res its crystal clear, if your res starts getting gunky then id suggest an airstone in there also to keep it primo

@ TheSaint

Cheers mate! I had tried to avoid using an air stone because I read that the air youre adding to the solution increases the ph?? Although my res. as it is now with just the flume pump still increases the ph noticeably.

I will definitely get a circulation pump in there though! What power is needed? Is bigger better?

@@dingo bingo

An airstone makes all the difference m8, the pump i have in the solution to move it is just a cheap Haliea, its on 24/7 along with the airstone & heater

I wouldnt say the airstone messes about with the ph at all m8, my ph drifts now n then but i just adjust it, job done. My res easily does a weeks worth of feed for 8 plants fed everyday.

TS

Great thread, the saint :yep: I need to get ordering this stuff asap. What are the nipples called? Have they a specific name because I can't find them :unsure: been looking on greens.

@ TheSaint

After seeing your setup I went with the blue drippers first time round and they were great too. Though when I went to growshop i was told the 2l/h drippers need to be used with coco, sold me saying how they'd ensure even soaking throughout the pot.Good job theyre only cheap! I'll get some more blue drippers asap and fingers crossed they'll all work like clockwork!

@@dingo bingo

@@TheSaint

Hi Guys, I did away with the drippers in the end as I found there was no need for them. I used a stop watch to time how long it would take to fill a 1ltr jug inside one of the pots without a dripper on the end of the feed line (Because all feed lines are same lenght it works out the same time for all of them). Once you know how long it takes to fill the 1ltr jug you can just calculate how much you want to feed them from there on. Where the feed lines come into the pots I just use an inexpensive 4mm T piece to split the line into two and use 4mm feed line props to hold them in the pot above soil fill level.

All works a good and free flowing. :)

Top Feed

Edited by English Oak
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...