The benefits of liquid seaweed fertilizer

Guest StonerCol

No worries @@botanics

A little info for anyone whose interested.

How does it work ?

Plant root hairs can directly feed from the calcified seaweed's reservoir of available balanced minerals and trace elements. Furthermore these trace elements are quickly colonised by soil bacteria that creates humus, the establishment of worms, and contributes to a better soil structure and root development. This effect enables plants to fully utilise the soil minerals and trace elements that are already present

Benefits

* improved soil structure

* deeper rooting plants

* increased availability of trace elements

* long lasting, does not wash away

* healthier - no lock up of valuable minerals

* maintenance of correct pH

* can be applied any time of the year

Application rate

General rate:- 4oz. - 8oz (2 handfuls). per square yard

J.I. Composts:- Use in place of chalk or lime at the directed rate

Compost heaps:- Keep sweet with a dusting every 6" of organic matter. Improves bacterial action, stimulates the breakdown of useable compost

Correcting soil acidity:- After soil testing, apply calcified seaweed instead of lime, as indicated by the test

Exhibition work:- e.g. Chrysanthemums, sweet peas, Dahlias, Leeks, Onions. A light dressing of 4oz. per square yard is recommended.

Potting:- 1 handful per 2.5 litre pot

When to apply

Calcified seaweed is a completely safe, natural, marine mineral and can be used any time of the year. On heavy soils it is most effective at the time of final soil preparation e.g.autumn or early winter. On lighter soils apply pre sowing, or before or during planting out. As a boost it can be used at any time.

How to apply

Sprinkle calcified seaweed over the surface of the soil, and and then lightly hoe it into the top 3" - 4". If applied early it may be left on the surface to wash in

And a breakdown of what's in it,

Analysis

Falmouth calcified seaweed contains ALL the essential elements that are not applied with compound fertiliser. The Public Analysts report on the 15th July 1998 shows that the sample of calcified seaweed contains:

Calcium 42%. . Magnesium 4.2% . . Zinc154mgs / Kg . . Copper 9.6mgs / Kg . . Sulpher 0.22% . . Iron 31mgs / Kg . .

Manganese 121mgs / Kg. . Cobalt 1.5mgs / Kg Boron 2.5mgs / Kg . . Cadmium 1.9mgs / Kg Chromium 0.1mgs / Kg . .

Lead 14mgs / Kg. . Nickel 2.2mgs Kg

All of which are trace elements and minerals which suplement the soil, and help biological action to condition and enrich the soil, which in turn releases trace elements and minerals to nourish produce, cereals, corn, fruit and flowers, lawns and pastures.

Calcium - Cell structure of plant

Magnesium - Photosynthesis, enzyme system of plant, and phosphate utilisation by plant

Iron - Photosynthesis

Manganese - Photosynthesis and seed formation

Copper - Correct growth and health of plant

Cobalt - Health of plant and essential for micro-organisms that fix nitrogen

Boron - For uptake and utilisation of calcium and nitrates and carbohydrate production in the plant

Sodium - (salt) for potassium utilisaton

Sulpher - For the production of the essential amino acids, cystine and methionine, linked with nitrogen

Farming

Calcified seaweed is recommended for cereals, grass, roots, brassicas, orchards and vines.

It is better, safer, healthier, longer lasting and cheaper

Hopefully some will find this information useful.

I know some of the outdoor growers utilise this product already and for those going the no-till route which seems popular these days I think this is an important and beneficial addition to yr soil mixes.

Regards Dodge

• Like 10

@@Dodgee have you got a link for that Calcified seaweed article so i can bookmark it ,I was gifted a bag of it once but over the years moisture got into it and it turned into pongy grey lumps,I just top dressed with it and wormcastings

Sure @@Jimboo here,

http://www.railwaysleeper.com/KFseaweed.htm

I have a source for which is very cheap but you do have to buy 5kg minimum at a time.

They also sell ecothrive charge 10L for 29.95. Is that good?

E2a I was gonna ask over in the no till thread but being as yr here! lol

Its 5l for 19.95 or 10l for 29.95.

I had the impression it was usually more expensive than that??

Edited by Dodgee
  • Like 1

Sure @@Jimboo here,

google says about £30 for ecothrive .ta for the link

• Like 1

Guest jacks lad

plants, a boon. Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) is one such weed with a variety of beneficial uses from a food source to a medicinal treatment to nettle garden fertilizer. The nutrients in stinging nettle fertilizer are those same nutrients the plant contains which are beneficial to the human body such as many minerals, flavinoids, essential amino acids, proteins and vitamins. A nettle leaf plant food will have: Chlorophyll Nitrogen Iron Potassium Copper Zinc Magnesium Calcium These nutrients, along with Vitamins A, B1, B5, C, D, E, and K, combine together to create a tonic and immune builder for both the garden and the body.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Nettle Garden Fertilizer: Information On Making And Using Nettles As Fertilizer http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/nettle/nettle-as-fertilizer.htm

started using sting nettles in smoothies and plant food last year, good stuff and free

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@@StonerCol @@Dodgee

An interesting read and many thanks for the effort guys.

I find it useful ... I love this shit ... the devil's in the detail..!

Bud Grateful :oldtoker:

Edited by Bud Wiser
  • Like 1

Neem and Kelp (seaweed) are the two most important items in my garden and I keep them on hand at all times.

All organic gardeners should have an understanding of the many benefits of north sea or Atlantic kelp.

Firstly it contains every mineral on the periodic table, as well as hormones, enzymes and all areas of nutrition.

You can buy 'meal' to add to your soil, or top dress or make a tea and foliar.

You can obvs buy liquid extracts but I use natural meal so I know what's in it.

RR

• Like 3

Sure @@Jimboo here,

http://www.railwaysleeper.com/KFseaweed.htm

I have a source for which is very cheap but you do have to buy 5kg minimum at a time.

I thibk I used to pay £25 for £5l so 10l for £30 is good but I've stopped using it... It's too fast release for me.

RR

• Like 1

Got a week before I need to add a bloom. Have been put off plant magic for a few reasons. So this has been a great read.

So from my understanding a bottle of liquid seaweed or calcified seaweed in the soil,along with Fishmix will be fine?

Even just Fishmix in most cases tbh.

Seaweed in any of its forms meal,calcified,extract whatever is certainly a beneficial but just that. Not absolutely necessary but so cheap n easy. The benefits kinda justify the use.

But yeh, them+decent soil+mycos.

The golden 3. FOr cheap. Straight forward. Hassle free growing.

• Like 2