THE shed thread

Hashmaker6

Wow Bud, what a story. I was there picturing it all. Ooh boy, excellent, ya i see u do look the type lol 😂. It's a wonder the man did ask you what were you doing with the shed etc... lol, such a gud story, really enjoyed it as you made it so real & how some small thing could hang u such as leaving a gate, door Or something as simple as that open. Caution at all times but not easy either. Ooh I love this rustic shed, its got charm & character to it. Brilliant.

• Like 1

@@Irishgirl

He must have spotted me on my shed roof from his own garden, and being beer-confident and a nice sunny day, he decided to be bold and check me out, desperate for a spliff no doubt!

He never asked about the shed ... I suppose fixing a shed roof is quite normal in suburbia. There was a lawn mower strategically placed in the entrance, however, that probably pre-answered most of his shed questions.

Bud Wiser :oldtoker:

• Like 2

& lesson to learn from your little encounter is to not stand on the roof of a shed smoking a banger when the winds blowing in the neighbors direction,

maybe you can add a weather vane while your up on the shed roof ;)

• Like 3

& lesson to learn from your little encounter is to not stand on the roof of a shed smoking a banger when the winds blowing in the neighbors direction,

maybe you can add a weather vane while your up on the shed roof ;)

A very good point expertly made.

I started thinking of a long excuse then, but realised it was a pointless exercise.

Bud-backed-into-a-corner :oldtoker:

• Like 2

I had a similar issue with neighbour who fed cats whilst we were away recently. Couldn't help herself having a nose in the greenhouse, asks me outright when I get back if I'm growing cannabis (she's 80+). I just say yes, do you want some and she laughed and said I'm too old for all that now but I hear it's very good for arthritis. She's a keen Gardner so we soon ended up talking ferts and compost - sounds like growing roses she says before wandering back in to her house!

Stand brave bud don't be stigmatised.

Edited by Hashmaker6
  • Like 3

Fuck that, I'd shit bricks lol

Some great tales here and some great and neat work going on too....good thread this is becoming peeps, loving it fair play :yep:

• Like 2

Nursing my wounds today, can barely lift up a cup of coffee.

... so I opted for beer so I don't have to fill a kettle too.

No sign of the cat, or the neighbour!

Bud Buggered :oldtoker:

• Like 2

How are you going to extract and intake etc? More detail of you have it old bean? I'm interested in your plans to avoid the challenge of endless temperature chasing that outbuildings always seem to present.

@@Hashmaker6 .. for you, buddy!

Ok guys (and @Irishgirl), I've worked out my internal growroom solution for the shed including venting, heating, and moisture control.
First, this lot's expensive! Look's like I may have to part with some of my herb to finance all this, as an injection of around 800 quid's required .. I'm going down the CO2 enrichment route, I've decided, and it makes sense too.
This is the theory ...
Using CO2 enrichment, the venting's kept to a minimum, eliminating the need for expensive filters. By only venting twice a day for an hour each time, once after lights-out and once again before lights-on, and all done in the middle of the night, the need for odour control is non-existent as I don't expect my neighbours to be wandering around the garden at 3 o'clock in the morning .. not my neighbours anyway!
I'll be growing under lights in the daytime, winter-only from November to April. I happen to have a shit-load of solar panels on the house roof so all my daytime eleccy's free! The daytime temps coupled with the lights and insulation should be enough but I'll also use the greenhouse wonder-heater, the BioGreen, to help out as it's thermostatically-controlled and will also provide me with a good air circulation to maximise the CO2 enrichment.
I'm going to start with an 18 on, 6 off regime until I get used to everything as this is all new to me. That means lights-on at around 6am and off again at midnight (minimising eleccy-usage) .. venting would happen at 5am for an hour, with the CO2 on at 7am (give the plants chance to use up the freshly-vented air) until 11pm, then off to give the plants chance to use up all the CO2 available before venting again at midnight for an hour, reducing CO2 wastage.
Here's all the CO2 calculations ...
Size of growroom = 6'x 6'x 6' = 216 Cu.Ft.
Lose 16 Cu.Ft. for buckets and equipment = 200 Cu. Ft. of air-space.
Recommended dosage is 0.15 Cu.Ft. per 100 Cu.Ft. of space per hour.
For me, this means 0.3 Cu.Ft. per hour dosage.
At 16 hours a day for an 18-on 6-off grow (see above), continuous replenishment at the advised rate would mean I'd need 4.8 Cu.Ft per day of CO2. 1Kg of compressed CO2 gas gives me 19.2 Cu.Ft, so a 15Kg refill will give me 288 Cu.Ft. of gas. At the rate of 4.8 Cu.Ft. per day, this gives me 60 days of gas for my-sized growroom.
Now, here come the 'rub'. A decent output-control timer-responsive regulator will set me back £160, with another £120 per 15 Kg cylinder of gas (deposit included) - 2 needed - that's £240 plus £20 delivery. Refills work out at £40 a pop, so doing the maths, I need to outlay £420 just on CO2 to start ... however, this is all an up-front investment. Properly managed, my gas will cost me about a tenner a plant, even less if I grow more than 6. Suddenly, it sounds do-able, don't you think? Of course, I'll still have £160 refundable deposit on the cylinders if the Old Bill don't take them with them after the bust!
Moisture-control regulation using a dehumidifier (another £100+), venting fan and tubing (passive intake) around £50 .. another £250 quid on LED lights and boom! ... £800 down the swanny! Include gadgets, hidden extras and I'm looking at a grand!
All that said .. with the shed renovations, electric-installation, equipment and time .. the total cost is around 6-8 ounces of weed, which I think I might just recoup in about, well, a couple of months? I think it's a no-brainer. Wish me luck.
Albert Budstein :oldtoker:
  • Like 1

Hi bud Wiser. What insulation, thickness etc will u Use. Will you do this with battons on inside wall or what's the story.

As for CO2, it's way over my head but by the sounds of it you seem to have it all worked out. Gud luck mate & I will be following this with huge interest.

• Like 1

@@Irishgirl

I'm planning on using 50mm thickness Celotex, at £22 a sheet! That's £140 for my sized growspace, with bulk discount

Ouch, but worth it long-term methinks.

Batons are too thick and won't allow me to 'wallpaper' effectively, wire and staples I had in mind. We'll see when we get there!

I'm following this with huge interest too! lol

Bud the Bold :oldtoker:

• Like 2

I can't wait to see this lot up and running. Are you nailed on about smell? No negative pressure in the shed will surely leak odour that could waft for some distance....??

• Like 4

I can't wait to see this lot up and running. Are you nailed on about smell? No negative pressure in the shed will surely leak odour that could waft for some distance....??

@@Hashmaker6

Well, I'm in 'suck-it-and-see' land ... I think the rule is to remain flexible.

I'll make sure I buy a venting system that'll allow me to add a filter in a hurry, should one become necessary.

I'm getting most of my expert advice on this one from Ed Rosenthal's 'The Closet Cultivator'.

And I'm treating this like one big wooden closet ...!!

So I guess I'll just have to make sure the shed's sealed up tighter than a duck's sphincter then, won't I? lol

Experimental Bud :oldtoker:

• Like 1