THE shed thread

Hashmaker6

Just to update y'all ... shed's working 'tastic peeps.

Soon, we'll be firing up the main chamber.

I feel like Scotty on Star Trek .. ay ay cap'n. I'll give her all she's got ...

gallery_98779_13076_176169.jpg

Getting a bit bushy in there now.

Excited, I am.

Bushy Bud :oldtoker:

• Like 8

I've seen another member use electric blankets (took me ages to work out what he meant by EB's) and thought they looked pretty effective.

It's quite cold up north lol what would you use to insulate the floor?

• Like 2

@@Pot Luck

Haven't found a need for one.

The floor isn't an issue .. it's made of wood.

Take care of the walls and ceiling, and the rest takes care of itself ...

I've got everything raised off the ground anyway ... even in the main chamber I'm using a wooden pallet.

Edited by Bud Wiser
  • Like 2

Ok, I thought I'd post an update with some insight into the pros and cons of shed-growing for future shed-dwellers.

First, I haven't found any cons yet..! It's been a very positive experience thus far.

But there are some lessons I'd like to share.

Insulation. After weatherproofing the shed, this I've found to be one of the most important factors in achieving success. It may seem obvious me saying that, but don't skimp, it's very important. Throw as much cash as you can at it.

So, some detail ...

When I started in the reception room first, the main growroom wasn't heated ........ fuck this, room A and room B.

When I first started in A, B wasn't heated, so I used a small fan heater set to it's lowest possible setting, just to take the chill off the air. The vegging chamber had a tubular heater on constantly, so the temps in A stabilised at between 19C and 23C, the vegging chamber between 24C and 26C. Perfect.

I didn't insulate the dividing wall between the two chambers deliberately, as I wanted some ambient heat from the growroom to get through .. a little bit of energy conservation helps keep the bills down!

Now, I've found that since B was fired up, A has been getting a bit too warm .. it was at 26C in the room and 28C in the veg chamber this morning when I got there. Humidity at about 25%. Phew! baking. So, the fan heater's off tonight. Back to more temp monitoring. Flipside, B was like The Congo upon entry, my glasses partially steamed up immediately and max/min temps had held between 25C and 26C constantly, but the humidity was up to 78% ... wow. Know I understand why it's such a big problem for indoor growers .. same size plants, same size pots, same size room .. but different lights and a much more sealed environment, so nowhere for the moisture to go. Hmmm. Glad I've got a dehumidifier then, methinks.

Getting the balance right takes time, you have to constantly tweak.

I'm also getting jiggy with the ventilation too. I've had to. This is another addition to the equation ...

I've found that my plan of drawing my intake air for B from A, to be working a treat. As the air's already heated, the temp changes before and after an air-exchange to be no more than a degree or two. However, I'm only operating the fans for 2 minutes every 6 hours, I'm guessing a 6 Cu.Mtr. room has enough CO2 in it for 4 tiny plants at the moment, but I am aware that this will increase exponentially as the plants grow. Next it'll be 2 minutes every 3 hours, increasing to 2 minutes every hour, with a lesser frequency during lights-out. For the maths-inquisitive, the 6" exhaust fan (the important one) can shift 480 Cu. Mtrs an hour set to 'low', so it takes less than a minutes to suck all the air out .. 2 minutes just makes sure.

Of course, I can forget all this venting shit when I get CO2 installed. Sorry, delivered.

The pipes are already in .. he he. And it's becoming more and more of an attractive proposition daily.

Bottom line, grow's going really well so far ... http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=376142&page=4

Shed-dwelling Bud :oldtoker:

Edited by Bud Wiser
  • Like 3

Well, I'm glad only @@Degsy and @@Irishgirl read the last post, because since Sunday I've had to come up with a plan B..!

I really wasn't expecting this at all ... overheating!! Mid-winter in a shed.

This is January in the UK ffs ... it's not supposed to be 10C outside ...

The growroom (B) got up to 30C today, without any heating ... just lights and an oscillating fan. And the idea of drawing my intake air from chamber A was now working against me ... it wasn't cooling the room down much at all as the air was already at 24C going in ... I had to open the door to the growroom and also open the main shed door ... a major security risk if I didn't have the two chambers and a curtain over the main door.

This system was designed with Winter in mind .. cold outside.

It felt more like Spring today ... but at least I now have an insight into what's to come.

Shed-growing's a lot more hands-on than I thought ... you can leave it all to run just fine if the outside temps remain stable, but if they leap around like they are at the moment ... well, you're up and down the garden path like a yo-yo and it's making it difficult to find the right balance.

What I need is a computer-controlled climate-monitoring system with multiple sensors and remote activation.

With webcams.

.... workin' on it..! Next project methinks.

Bud Tech :oldtoker:

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Just ordered my shed, it is being delivered this weekend.  All systems go for me.

Once it is setup I will be transferring my current grow out of the house and in to it.  

Shall have to do daily checks on temp and humidity to be sure everything stays alive ;)

• Like 1

@Inspiration101

Good for you bud, recommend you cut a hole for intake on the 'shadiest' side of wherever you build the shed,

it's saved my crop from cooking having air coming in from outside in summer, block it off in winter.

atb

stu:oldtoker:

• Like 4

@stu914

How doesnyour ducting arrangement work for doing that ?

I need to sort this out for my little box and was trying to work out how to do it. I'm running a 6" hyper fan for a 60x60x120 'box' and was thinking of running two 6" ducts to grill vents on the coolest outside wall.

Reckon that will be enough intake surface area ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, stu914 said:

@Inspiration101

Good for you bud, recommend you cut a hole for intake on the 'shadiest' side of wherever you build the shed,

it's saved my crop from cooking having air coming in from outside in summer, block it off in winter.

atb

Thanks, yea just considering these things now also.  I have an 8" square acoustic fan for extraction and a 6" rhino pro fan for intake.  I will ensure the intake is from the coldest corner of the shed, thanks for that !

• Like 2

@Bud Wiser  Thanks, am gonna splash out for a SMS Hybrid controller I guess to try and make it easy mode ;)

Sexy buds for sure !

Edited by Inspiration101
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Inspiration101 said:

@Bud Wiser  Thanks, am gonna splash out for a SMS Hybrid controller I guess to try and make it easy mode ;)

Sexy buds for sure !

You won't be sorry, I've got the Hybrid pro 4 (assume that's the one you mean?) great piece of kit......:yep:

If you really want your mind blown have a google 'opticlimate' controller....I saw one working in the growshop a couple of weeks ago,

This really is the rolls royce, hefty price tag though......:ouch:

@budwiser

Looking very nice in there Bud.......I dub thee...:king:...'Scrummy Yummy Bud.......:yes:

@Jimmyarm

Hi Jimmy, My growbox is an old converted fridge/freezer inside the garden shed. The extract is 5" vents from the top at the back and out through the eaves.

The intake comes into the back at the bottom (where the condenser used to be) drawn from inside the shed in winter,

outside in summer from a hole in the shed wall fixed using ducting.

If you are using passive intake (no intake fan) it needs to be four or five times the size of the extract.....eg a 4" extract will be fine with 8" intake

With intake fan it's less but they need to be balanced to give negative pressure, easy to do with the SMS Hybrid.

good luck

atb

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I have a place where I can hide a shed . An eventual thief is a fear .Under large Leyland's planted on the edge maybe thirty years ago .These are in a corner ,and when approaching the corner there's a mound of tree stumps ,branches and debris a track machine pulled together. In the mound there's small trees,shrubs and weeds taking over but there's a space between the mound and the evergreen trees .The ground falls fast .

I was just thinking of stitching a crappy shed together .Procuring some panels perhaps and cover it with live foliage .I'd be good at that ,the construction part I might just fail . 

The first picture is of the mound ,then looking down behind it ,from on top. Looks mental dangerous actually, trees hanging off trees ! Like I said its a fast fall ,i think you'd hide a 6x4 shed under those elders though. large.DSC_0349.JPGlarge.DSC_0350.JPG

Edited by Michael Luchóg
  • Like 1