THE shed thread

Hashmaker6

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to The 'Dead' Thread ...

Nooooooooooo Waaaaaaaay José ... tings are movin' rapid, you dig?

Me got shed sprayed and delayed, drastic plastic an lectrics no shit ...

insulate to propogate, transpiration for the nation ..

yes eye ...

Sorry, I meant The 'Dread' Thread.! ...

THE SHED ... on it's way ... for Xmas.

I'll be carol-singing my new-borns (Colorado Cookies & Brooklyn Sunrise) in their mangers (Airpots) with the Stars of David shining brightly (Kind XL750 LEDs) ... Santa's grotto had better fucking deliver this year..!

In Ye I Have Faith ...

Ding dong.

Festive Bud :oldtoker:

• Like 6

I took a couple of shots of the shed -well, what you can see of it. It's an 8ft x 6ft I set up about 8 yrs ago. When I started I planted a Virginia Creeper (Parthenosisus) which has now completely covered the shed. Nice and discrete :oldtoker:

Cool looking shed! Im looking to start a build in jan, its going to be a mini shed beside the family shed.

I have a slight issue with height though, Ive planned a 5-5.5ft high?

Does anyone know if this could be too low to hang lights from?

Newbie here guys so any help apreciated

Thanks

Cool looking shed! Im looking to start a build in jan, its going to be a mini shed beside the family shed.

I have a slight issue with height though, Ive planned a 5-5.5ft high?

Does anyone know if this could be too low to hang lights from?

Newbie here guys so any help apreciated

Thanks

I also only have 5'6" in height ... You'll be fine , shorter veg , topping ... There's a whole load of options
  • Like 2

Sorry guys , mad busy at work .

My gals are fine 12/12 now , the shed is a slow progress, but couple of weeks & it will be ready . Just purchased a king size heated blanket for the floor of my shed . In fact , I'm going to get cracking on it tomorrow for a few hours , I'll try to get some pics together & upload on sat .

Ps I have the short pheno of Jack the Ripper I had a few years back , I'm really excited about this , hope it's a she

• Like 2

I also only have 5'6" in height ... You'll be fine , shorter veg , topping ... There's a whole load of options

Excellent that was my only worry about over heating plants or something. I have to keep in spec with the regulations trowen down from the missus, basically room so the washing line can swing over the top of the roof :)

Will keep planning and get screwing some timber!

• Like 1

Welcome to The 'Dead' Thread ...

Nooooooooooo Waaaaaaaay José ... tings are movin' rapid, you dig?

Me got shed sprayed and delayed, drastic plastic an lectrics no shit ...

insulate to propogate, transpiration for the nation ..

yes eye ...

Sorry, I meant The 'Dread' Thread.! ...

THE SHED ... on it's way ... for Xmas.

I'll be carol-singing my new-borns (Colorado Cookies & Brooklyn Sunrise) in their mangers (Airpots) with the Stars of David shining brightly (Kind XL750 LEDs) ... Santa's grotto had better fucking deliver this year..!

In Ye I Have Faith ...

Ding dong.

Festive Bud :oldtoker:

You don't fuck about Bud! Mine is ages off happening !

I'm wanting to build my own grow shed from scratch or buy one, whichevers cheaper.

What materials would I need to build my own shed of the size 4 by 6 feet. I am also wanting to build an external entrance just before the door of the shed to reduce the chance of having my grow seen by family members or nosy neighbours and also the remove the possibility of a flood of light being seen at night.

I went to wickes today to see whst kinds of wood was available and found myself confused as to which type to use and the minimal amount of materials I`d need. If anyone could help me out in these aspects It would me much appreciated. Thankyou for your time.

• Like 1

Pictures coming tomorrow ... new camera..!

Electrics are finished, vegging-stage grow chamber finished, the insulation's sitting in the greenhouse waiting to be cut-up and fitted, Amazon have a lot of deliveries to deliver, and I'm soooooo fucking busy right now.

Keep missing the deliveries 'cos I'm in the fucking shed..!!!!

Bud McAlpine :oldtoker:

• Like 2

@@Lolklolkgf

If using timber mate, you want pressure treated (injected with a preservative) also you don't want it on the floor (damp and rot) so with timber the best is dig out, weed membrane and put chippings on that, then pad stones utilising concrete blocks to lay the floor on (this will give you an air gap for ventilation under the floor timbers). Construct it larger than the growing space and do as Bud's doing in here, provide a 'lobby' area and secondary door to growing room or rooms.

or you could go all out, dif some footings and build a block shed :yep:

• Like 2

@@Lolklolkgf

Dude, you can build your own 12' x 6' shed using purchased 'tanilised' timber and utilising some woodcraft skills for the same cash as you'll pay for a cheap larchlap shed off shitsheds.com.

That's how I would do it if I were building from scratch.

You'll pay £500 for a shit larchlap shed, but £500 will buy you a lot of decent quality timber if you use your noddle.

I've spent £250 on timber and materials doing the roof, and building a partition, and that was buying as-needed ... a bit more bulk-buying savvy would get you inside budget easily.

A good solid structure will serve you well, and then you can also feel at ease filling it with all that expensive sexy tech..!

• Like 2

In the meantime, new camera in hand, here's where I'm at ...

I've built a vegging / cloning / seedling / whatever-you-want-to-call-it chamber.

It'll have T5 flourescents, and I've gone for a purpose-built unit with 4 x 2ft tubes.

The dimensions are about 3' 6" x 3' 6" x 2' ... plenty of room to play with:

gallery_98779_13076_266698.jpg

I fitted the Airtec insulation/reflection material first, made sense. Plus I wanted to get a feel for what it was like to work with.

Answer: a dream..!

The bottom shelving I salvaged from the old 'workbench' that was in the original shed. You'll have to go back to page one of this thread to see it's origins.

The socket is linked to a 'control block' ... more on that later.

To the left of the whatever-you-want-to-call-it chamber will be the drying area:

gallery_98779_13076_204606.jpg

I'll either build some racks in there or just string some line up, but we've got to grow some weed first before that becomes an issue.

I want the vegging chamber finished so I can start ... it'll take a week to pop some beans, another 3 weeks to veg them ... so I've got a month to finish off the main growroom whilst they're 'cooking' ... and that's plenty, so yesterday wouldn't have been soon enough. Haven't decided on how I'm going to enclose the space yet, maybe just a simple roller-blind?

Anyway, here's the 'control block' ...

gallery_98779_13076_51933.jpg

I'll be adding timers to the LED, Fan, Vent and T5 sockets shortly.

I've used a 6-gang individually-switched surge-protected block. Worth paying a bit extra to safeguard those expensive and sensitive LED's, don't you think?

I thought having an internal work-light might come in handy too, especially for inspecting plants ... purple LEDs aren't very good at showing up deficiencies, there are special goggles you can buy, but they're an unnecessary expense when a simple household lightbulb will do adequately.

Here's a view from the inside:

gallery_98779_13076_66309.jpg

Wires everywhere. But all neat, thought-out and soon-to-be-hidden by all the insulation and Airtec.

The shelf's to accommodate a 12" oscillating desk fan ... opted for one large as opposed to two small fans ... decided one was adequate for the space, considering the air-circulation capabilities of the BioGreen.

I want airflow, not a windtunnel..!

The fan will be drilled and screwed to the shelf, with a layer of rubber matting under the base to help cancel vibration noise.

I've stapled some black industrial-grade plastic sheeting to the external walls:

gallery_98779_13076_297596.jpg

Wood's porous, and the external walls don't have any weather-protection, so the plastic sheeting will hopefully help to create a moisture-barrier between the wooden walls and the internal insulation layers.

The switched socket on the right will be for the BioGreen, the unswitched one higher up on the left is for the 4" air-intake fan, you can just see the intake hole behind it just waiting for some ducting to be fitted.

I managed to blag a wooden transport-pallet from my local wood merchant .. considering how much I've spent with him, I should fucking think so.

It's been mould treated and disinfected, and the idea is to raise the pots off the ground so that warm air can circulate ... easily replaceable when it starts to 'fail' ... these things are everywhere, you find them stacked up outside supermarkets and builder's yards and are easily 'borrowed'..!

gallery_98779_13076_191461.jpg

Now, back to the vegging chamber area quickly ...

I like flexibility (mainly because I'm a stoner and making decisions is tough!) so I installed a 'cabriolet' option to the vegging chamber...

Open:

gallery_98779_13076_266364.jpg

Closed:

gallery_98779_13076_257380.jpg

Don't know how much ventilation I'll need yet. Plus I'm probably going to fit a couple of tubular heaters underneath the bottom shelf to warm up the chamber and help keep the young roots nice and warm.

All this warm air will hopefully then get sucked into the main grow room via this vent:

gallery_98779_13076_260344.jpg

That's all for now, folks..!

Insulation will be going up this week, I have deliveries coming thick and fast, the floor still to do, and I'm just itching to get growing..!!!!

Busy Bud :oldtoker:

Edited by Bud Wiser
  • Like 7

@@budwiser , cool post pal , I'm still a shed'er! Honestly.

I'm a week in flower in my grow cupboard 1mx1mx1.9m 4 plants , soon to be 3 (I don't like a certain 'black dog' too big )

Work has got in the way of my shed progress , so I decided to flower what I had whilst getting the shed in order , still require a front wall & door & throw the electric in there , a weekends work so I should be done for end of month. Which brings me to the next part of my plan , I'm going to get the shed up & running on some 'monster cropped' cuts from my cupboard grow , so I figure I've got 2weeks to be ready .. game on !

Ps, be sure not to leave 'big light' on when your room is in night time .... (seen it done)

I like the pallet idea , seen sum1 lay tube heaters under there .

Maybe a wooden front with reflective material on the back that just hooks on and off ..retain your heat better (veg room) .

I can't flaming post any pictures.

Edited by JTR
  • Like 3