THE shed thread

Hashmaker6

You can't see the exhaust from the shed! There's no stream of steaming air coming out. I exhaust out the back of the shed with the vent at about 5ft. I have my passive intake in the floor to take air from under the shed as it's warmer in winter and cooler in summer. You will have to exhaust to outside otherwise you'll have issues with heat and humidity.

The main difficulties I found setting up were light leaks and humidity when the lights go out. The humidity I've sorted by running the fans 24/7 although this means I have to run the heating 24hr during the winter. Light leaks are a little trickier especially around intake and outlet. Light leaks around the door can be solved with light-proof curtains.

As for the brick building, I actually reckon a sorted wooden shed is better. Most brick sheds I've seen get bad humidity problems.

he said he wants to build a cavity wall insulated brick growroom so how will the humidity be any different to that of a house? incase it is unclear this is a question not a statement :D

• Like 1

he said he wants to build a cavity wall insulated brick growroom so how will the humidity be any different to that of a house? incase it is unclear this is a question not a statement :D

Cavity wall and insulation would be much better - I was referring to single skin brick outhouses. I've seen plenty of grows go tits up in them. My first hand experience is with wooden sheds as that's what I use

I think you're right that it shouldn't be much different to growing indoors.

• Like 1

ahh i see , dont u need planning permission for a brick shed? wouldnt an extension be better security wise?

You don't need planning 2 build shed once its kept to so many feet but you can check this with your local council. If it is at the side or front of house you do but if it at the back you are allowed so many feet without permission.

• Like 1

As long as it does go higher than 2.7m I can do whatever the fuck I like!

fuck thats plenty tall enough , sorry ive never been a homeowner so wudnt know about this sort of stuff. u learn something new everyday

• Like 2

It's limited on square foot too but way bigger then Id ever need. I could do a 10' X 10' room by 7' high apex roof double skin brick with no planning.

• Like 1

Go on the planning page of the gov

There are a few rules that need to be taken into account .

Don't want to spend all the money to find next doors moan to the council because it's to tall or not 3 1/2 foot from fence .

I've been in a shed for well over 13 years no funny tasting herb my end but many a head ach off keeping heat in the winter and cool on the summer .

• Like 2

Excuse the cut and paste

You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel for domestic pets etc., as long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3 metres (if it has any other roof type). The floor area limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres. The structure may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses. Garages, sheds etc. to the side of the house must match the finish of the house. You cannot reduce the open private space, reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house, at the side or rear of the house below 25 square metres.

• Like 6

Excuse the cut and paste

You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel for domestic pets etc., as long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3 metres (if it has any other roof type). The floor area limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres. The structure may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses. Garages, sheds etc. to the side of the house must match the finish of the house. You cannot reduce the open private space, reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house, at the side or rear of the house below 25 square metres.

Super, no need to excuse yourself, very valid & useful information & taken time out to cut & paste from website or where ever. lol .

• Like 1

Wow, I'm getting mixed up with all these hash markers 3000 & 6 lol .

maybe u shud cut back slightly on the herb , if ur blonde then ignore that comment because it wont help u :D

Edited by hashmaster3000
  • Like 5

Can we get back to sheds please? Not planning-permission-needed shed-of-the year entrants, just plain old bottom-of-the-garden nobody-notices kind-of-stuff. Made of wood.

I've got a solid timber-frame flat-roof type .. 1" plywood-clad, 12ft x 6ft, with a rotten roof (still holding on .. last legs), but not like the cheap larch-lap apex shit from a garden centre.

Used it for years as a drying-space, so it already stinks of herb, which is a good starting point in my book.

With some love, some laser-guided man-child power-tools, 42 metres of 3x2 timber and no rain for three days, I think we may just get one step closer to shed heaven.

First up, new roof. Construction starts tomorrow, and if I don't chop my fingers off, I'll post a detailed how-I-did-it thingy next weekend.

Here's the starting point:

gallery_98779_13076_45449.jpg

Let the Bank Holiday fun begin ...! :D

Bud the Builder :oldtoker:

• Like 8