THE shed thread

Hashmaker6

I know exactly what you mean.

Being from a rural North-Walian small-community, even if you had sex discreetly with a sheep, word would soon get out, and eventually the sheep would get a name for herself ..! lol

Bud Bach :oldtoker:

Pmsl lol lol lol

Brides aren't exactly cheap either!

Bud the Best-Man :oldtoker:

Ur too funny bud Wiser pmsl lol lol lol. Don't bother with a bride, invest in your boy shed, you may get a better return rofl lol lol lol.

Ooh I 4got, you have been there, done that, now it's boys in the shed time, careful she might move you in there altogether lol.

Edited by Irishgirl
  • Like 1

Ur too funny bud Wiser pmsl lol lol lol. Don't bother with a bride, invest in your boy shed, you may get a better return rofl lol lol lol.

Ooh I 4got, you have been there, done that, now it's boys in the shed time, careful she might move you in there altogether lol.

And 'she' being?

Someone's going to tell us both to get a room soon if we don't get back to sheds!

Single Bud :oldtoker:

• Like 2

And 'she' being?

Someone's going to tell us both to get a room soon if we don't get back to sheds!

Single Bud :oldtoker:

She being your lovely tolerant Mrs. lol. On that note happy building mate. What a laff I had to nite with your comments lol.

• Like 1

Gid morning Bud Wiser, I was madding so much last nite I didn't read things right. No need to be frustrated lol. I got you mixed up with one of the other lads here getting a new shed, sharing it with his Mrs for her tumble dryer. Ooh god lol how I can read things so differently at times lol.

Ok back to your shed planning & doing before I misread anymore lol. God u did make me laff last nite. Gus to go to bed on a fud note lol. Have a good day mate.

• Like 1

@@Irishgirl

Don't fill the cavities mate, I used to sell insulation and the horror stories I've heard from damp after wards due to unsuitability :ouch: The way to do it is as you're doing...well stud the walls, in fill with insulation, vapour barrier and boarded out, caulked etc and final covering, whatever you choose to use :yep:

• Like 1

Thanks botanic, I was going to leave a gap between stud & existing walls, cover with Celotex, Kingsland, seal joints, cover with thermo double layer insulation foil, then reflective sheeting.

My assumption is leaving the gap between stud & boards would be for air movement & insulation in its own right. Please feel free to correct me if my way of thinking is not right.

I believe I may have an opportunity to buy good quality seconds silver foil 50mm floor insulation boards. Do you think this would do for walls, ceiling & all? What does PIR stand for? Thanks man.

I have grown in my shed for years..I made the shed using shiplap and cls timber and lined it with 50mm kingspan x 2 (1st went vertical between spans and then horizontal)

My environment is perfect in winter and summer with only a variance of 5 degrees lights on and off,I do have to use a 800w oil filled rad on a low setting in temps below zero but without it it will sit at around 19 as I have my mother/cutting tent in the same space..

Kingspan is the best to line the shed as the likes of rockwool and lambswool is it wicks and retains moisture..

I have never had bud rot or issues with humidity (even after changing from nft with a 150lt res and now 12 coco on wilmas)..

Your progress looks well thought out...I wish ye luck brother :)

• Like 5

I have grown in my shed for years..I made the shed using shiplap and cls timber and lined it with 50mm kingspan x 2 (1st went vertical between spans and then horizontal)

My environment is perfect in winter and summer with only a variance of 5 degrees lights on and off,I do have to use a 800w oil filled rad on a low setting in temps below zero but without it it will sit at around 19 as I have my mother/cutting tent in the same space..

Kingspan is the best to line the shed as the likes of rockwool and lambswool is it wicks and retains moisture..

I have never had bud rot or issues with humidity (even after changing from nft with a 150lt res and now 12 coco on wilmas)..

Your progress looks well thought out...I wish ye luck brother :)

Ooh I like this info Purple ohm, can I just clarify the following:

What is shiplap & cls Timber? You mean to say you lined it twice with 50mm kingspan? Was this between the studs or twice over in opposite directions?

If this is the case I would loose alot of space so once of the reason I'm overlapping the kingspan, celotex with thermal wrap insulation which apparently is equivalent to 50mm boards.

I do plan on getting heat mats for the floor area but that will be further down the line so a heater will have to do till then.

I must say your shed sounds like the bees knees. It's great you have had no issues with temps, mould etc... inspiring to know, gives one hope. Thanks for the above advice for the shed thread.

• Like 1

@@Irishgirl

Yeah mate, you can do it your way if you wish, just it means you're loosing an extra 50 mm each side and that's the reason for infilling ;) But you can infill and then cover with the thermawrap...see water doesn't penetrate expanded foam like sheep's wool or rockwool.

What happens when a wall gets wet, due to physics any moisture naturally gravitates to the warmer area via capillary action and so if the inside is warmer this is where the moisture moves to, with the expanded foam it may be wet block side but wont travel through, the timbers may rot eventually and the way to help sort that is foil backed, wall side.

Then when you put your 'over layer' on as long as that doesn't allow moisture the other way, it's sealed within the room and vented out, your thermawrap should be ok for this I would say considering the nature of the material, staple it to the studs and caulk the edges.

CLS timber is used in construction and is a better product strength wise and shiplap is a typ of timber constructtion such as tounge and grooved or closeboard etc, all it means is that the construction is made of wedged shaped plank with the one on top overlapping the other thus allowing water to run off (like tiling on a roof).

PIR is Passive Infra Red btw and detects motion.

• Like 1