No-till thread

muffintop

@@Ogami-itto Agreed. @@Jimboo too much bio char can raise ph, but will be good for aeration. 10% seems to be a decent figure. Too much can also cause N lock out as the available N is used up to work on degrading he carbon. Can happen with other amendments if not composted. So if adding things like high N (alfalfa ) can be better to top dress rather than having it break down in the soil unless you mix has been left to age.

Personally I find perlite works ok for. Will probably try some of them growstones and see how they work out. From what I can see with rice hulls they break down within a few runs.

from what i understood mate biochar dosnt degrade

eta

The carbon in biochar resists degradation and can hold carbon in soils for hundreds to thousands of years. Biochar is produced through pyrolysis or gasification — processes that heat biomass in the absence (or under reduction) of oxygen.

http://www.biochar-international.org/biochar

Edited by Jimboo
  • Like 1

@@nudger36 Cork ... Doesn't sound that sustainable, isn't that way we have these crappy plastic wine corks. Or maybe that's just the cheap crap I buy!

Its a big con mate, its very sustainable, if we dont buy cork the cork farmers will plant something else to farm. Theres loads of info available mate. I love Biochar and personally dont worry about PH, also depends on whats it been charged with. Alfalfa contains triacontanol a very special growth hormone, with all different kinds of effects, depending on what stage its used. Im sure Biochar doesnt degrade, it already as maybe not degraded but evolved through the processes @@Jimboo as mentioned to end up as Biochar in the first place.

Edited by nudger36
  • Like 2

Its a big con mate, its very sustainable, if we dont buy cork the cork farmers will plant something else to farm. Theres loads of info available mate. I love Biochar and personally dont worry about PH, also depends on whats it been charged with.

@@nudger36 what % do you use mate?

Edited by Jimboo

Im pretty sure the cork I use are no set size, one person might love it, one person might not, Ive come across more positives than negatives. Its like what we do on here, some people like certain things, other people like to do some things different, its what makes it great imo. I very much doubt you will ever find a 100% majority for something.

Edited by nudger36

@@Jimboo I think the OP was suggesting using it as the aerator? May have misread that, but 2 issues remain. High Ph around 8ish if used in excess and it needs to be pre charged to reduce the N robbing effects from microbes trying to break it down if added uncharged. Once pre-charged then this effect is negated.

@@nudger36 what % do you use mate?

To be honest @@Jimboo it varies, I should try and work out a proper percentage to use, the guy recommended 5%, the stuff I get is off ebay called Kernow Black, its charged with Molasses, Calcified Shells, Lactobacillus, Seaweed. I have not had one cal/mag issue since using it, must be from what its been charged with, also great for recycling your root balls due to it working for absolute years, I just add some rock dust and now my recycled soil is looking lovely, I use this for my base on my outdoor patch. Great stuff all round :oldtoker:

• Like 4

What about mapito @Ogammi-itto? would that work? just read it now as new organic elements, wonder what they are? the dutch love the stuff! ive been thinking about it and old root riot cubes chopped up.

Edited by nudger36
  • Like 1

can anybody see any negativity to using willow water to water your plants in veg/flo rather than useing it

solely for rooting cuts.?

ta

• Like 1

can anybody see any negativity to using willow water to water your plants in veg/flo rather than useing it

ta

it contains salicylic acid, are you not worried about buggering up you PH ?

• Like 1

is their a reason it doesn't effect the ph of a cuttings medium.?

i thought about that after i posted mate ,and honestly have no answer i was just really throwing it out for comments

• Like 1

Salicylic acid actually looks good imo, do the cuttings root faster @@twigs? I know it activates the plant immune system, its known as ISR - Induced Systematic Resistance and rejuvenates plants, ,very good if you say wanted to reveg a plant I reckon. Probably all depends on the amount of it, I believe there are fertilizers out there containing it these days, also its the reason why Aspirin is known to help a plant. I would give it a go in veg, might be superb.

Edited by nudger36
  • Like 3

@@nudger36 will check it out, thanks...thinking I may go with perlite this year as i have a load and no point spending £. I'm only a beginner so next year can try something else.

A big thanks to everyone on this thread - just got my first tea started...bubbling away nicely in the shed! Pump, etc for £12 from local aquarium - molasses, vermi, seaweed and some root builder. Will use it on all my outdoor stuff going into the greenhouse tomorrow. Also got 2 worm farms going, revitalized a messy old ancient compost heap (where I found an adder!) on my land and got some alfafa seeds sprouting too....'ave it! Lots of fantastic advice and guidance....keep it up!

Peace

• Like 6

ta

i use willow steep most years ive never had any problems . i only use in veg for the root boost and to help keep the plants imune system up .

ive used it for cuts ,but on its own not the best . i rather use it as a tea to boost growth .

be lucky ;) .

• Like 2