No-till thread

muffintop

What are peeps using for aeration? Been looking for rice hulls but not that common online in UK and in the few places that do sell it, its like in 500g bags.

Any organic, nice alternatives?

I found oat husks in bigger bag sizes so would that work just as well?

Peace

• Like 1

@@Ogami-itto I got a 20l bag of rice husks to try it out and went to check where from but they have sold out I'm afraid The power of these boards perchance? :) Oat husks if anything may help your mycorrhizal fungi I would think but cant say for sure as I've not tried them

• Like 1

A lot of people are using cork instead of perlite or vermiculite :) great stuff, all the good littele guys love to colonise it, water retention properties too and one of the greatest things for Co2 alongside bambooooo.

Edited by nudger36
  • Like 1

@@nudger36 - is it bought chopped up or in what sort of state?

@@Fragg I couldnt find 20kg bags anywhere - yes could possibly be these boards. How you get on with them?

can you use used coffee instead of rice or cork for drainage, water retention and aeration slow nute release..?

Edited by twigs

Current tea recipes being used:

apply once in veg:

5 litres water
1 teaspoon molasses
half cup vermicompost
1 teaspoon volcanic rock dust
1 teaspoon seaweed meal
1 teaspoon neem powder
1 teaspoon flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon insect frass

apply once in flower:

5 litres water
1 teaspoon molasses
half cup vermicompost
1 teaspoon volcanic rock dust
1 teaspoon seaweed meal
1 teaspoon neem powder
1 tablespoon comfrey meal

apply during veg and once half way through flowering:

alfala and seaweed meal:

half cup alfalfa meal
1 teaspoon seaweed meal

Top dressing quarter cup malted barley powder per plant, instead of brewing a tea.

Edited by muffintop
  • Like 5

@@nudger36 Cork ... Doesn't sound that sustainable, isn't that way we have these crappy plastic wine corks. Or maybe that's just the cheap crap I buy!

@@bobnudd I read last night on some gardening forum that cork is just ok - you need to get the piece sizes right and they should be towards the bottom of the mix for maximum efficacy; otherwise he said they can actually do more harm than good. Sounds too finicky for me to try......

can you use used coffee instead of rice or cork for drainage, water retention and aeration slow nute release..?

Nitrogen fertilizer is coffee mate but got to watch for pushing the soil too acidic and needs to be used with caution (I've used it and got it from the high street for nada, good too ;) and it has the added benefits of help dealing with Sciarid fly too, mixed in with some chilli powder

• Like 2

@@Ogami-itto Agreed. @@Jimboo too much bio char can raise ph, but will be good for aeration. 10% seems to be a decent figure. Too much can also cause N lock out as the available N is used up to work on degrading he carbon. Can happen with other amendments if not composted. So if adding things like high N (alfalfa ) can be better to top dress rather than having it break down in the soil unless you mix has been left to age.

Personally I find perlite works ok for. Will probably try some of them growstones and see how they work out. From what I can see with rice hulls they break down within a few runs.

Edited by bobnudd