No-till thread

muffintop

I just top dress, fertiliser and various mulches. The previous rootball will rot away leaving one he'll of  a clever drainage system, along with worms and a plethora of other bugs and stuff constantly channelling through I find my soil doesn't compact at all over time, in fact time should be our friend, we are creating a miniature environment for thousands of lirtle bugs and suchlike not to mention billions of fungi and bacteria.

Keep them happy campers and over time the soil food web becomes perfectly in harmony. 

Which brings us back to why permaculture works, nature is sorting shit out with a wee bit of material input from us, the worms will have a steady population as long as you keep them fed like mother nature would.

I know everyone thinks ewc are heavy on there own. And they are...........till you have hundreds upon thousands of wee little wriggly critters turning it into Swiss cheese.

They are big movers and shakers in the earth tunnelling business.

Nature has ALL the answers. She worked all this shit out ages ago. Tis years of misunderstanding that has bastardised the way we think plants should grow.

Disposable world we live in strikes again.

Give a man a bag of compost he can grow some food to feed him this year. 

Give a man a harmoniously balanced soil full of life and the man can grow crops for seasons and seasons.

I'm  now at a point where I just treat whatever soil I'm working with literally the same. The huge flower beds I maintain at work or my 25x4 allotment beds or a little 30l pot im growing some tomatoes in or some ganja, same soil, same treatment

A bit like that bit Maggie said,

This soil is not for turning lol

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 8

@buddy13, I do both mate depending on what's going on. Got 2 small notill pots going on. They got topdresssed like Bouncer above with ewc and depending how I feel it's going some amendment mix. Other pots I use the same soil mix, but just throw it back in a 75l smart pot when finished for the next run. 

The 'No-till' methods are all interchangeable with a recycled soil method. Real important point I think that gets missed sometimes. 

@Key4 mate whichever route you go down, I reckon this might be just what you need for a distraction ;) lot of fun and lots of stuff to get into if so inclined. Just don't fall too far down the rabbit hole.

Btw - have you listened to the Coot interview in the Adam Dunn show?  If not l'll try and find a link as that stuff is gold to listen too :yep: 

• Like 1

i have 2x75l fabric pots(on 3rd run with 1 plant in each) and 1x200l cement bath(4th run with 2 plants in) so i feel like i have enough soil but i like the other benefits of my aeration ingredients as well as the feeling of insurance they give me  in regards to drainage;

Perlite+pumice =added homes for micro herd

rice hulls= silica?

also the thought that I've rarely dug a hole outside and not found some stones.....?

certainly more than 1 way to roll a joint :skin_up:

• Like 1

I use diatomaceous earth for my silica source, again very cheap and it will last you ages. Get food grade.

Dissolve half teaspoon in 4 litres of water for a drench, half the amount for foliar.

Edited by muffintop
  • Like 3

Horsetail is a good source of silca mate

No other herb in the entire plant kingdom is so rich in silicon as is horsetail. This trace element really helps to find protein molecules together in the blood vessels and connective tissues. Silison is the material of which collagen is made. Collagen is the “body glue” that holds our skin and muscle tissues together. Silicon also promotes the growth and stability of the skeletal structure.

OTHER USES OF THE HERB:
The stems contain 10% silica and are used for scouring metal and as fine sandpaper. They can also be used as a polish for brass, hardwood etc. The infused stem is an effective fungicide against mildew, mint rust and blackspot on roses.

https://recipesfromthewild.wordpress.com/wild-horse-tail/

• Like 6

If your gonna be putting horsetail anywhere near soil be careful. It is full of silica but don't forget it's one of the most invasive weeds. Once it has got into soil it is imo harder to kill than Japanese knotweed and should be treated as such. 

Worst thing about it is it takes only the tiniest bit on it's own to propagate. Like if you cut 1 piece up into a thousand with say a lawnmower and spread your grass across a field, next season you won't have a field of grass for nearly every one of those segments will root and fuck your day up.

I've been battling an area of this for three years now. 

Previous groundskeepers just strimmed it off which as you can imagine has made this situation 1000 times worse.

e2a. Fuck me. Theirs people selling it on ebay lol Its like selling nettles haha. I need to get on it. I filled two biffa bins with it on friday, Im worth a fortune.

If anyone wants any, Im your man lol

• Like 10

I've finally done it, 1gpw club with Hubbabubbasmelloscope! It gets better every time.

Edited by muffintop
  • Like 6

Big well done @muffintop stellar stuff.

Im ordering some beans today and hubbabubbasmelloscope is one of strains I'm most looking forward too. 

Gonna have a work through some mephisto stuff and see what all this fuss is about so today I'm biting the bullet and ordering.

• Like 2

Cork is great for a few things, the bennys like to colonise it, Co2, repels water thus leaving air pockets that oxygen fill, also very sustainable.

Edited by nudger36
  • Like 1

Good luck with them, im sure you will do a great job @blackpoolbouncer :yep: their Artisanal collection is pretty special imo but my personal favourite individual strain is their Alien v Triangle, just got a Stilton Special in the go - Sour Livers x Northern Cheese Haze, should be nice but wish I had just got the Sour Livers straight, looks unreal, resin is off the charts :skin_up:

Edited by nudger36
  • Like 3

Cheers folks, it's one of those very few strains that provide a good yield and a bloody nice smoke to go along with it. @nudger36 I bet those will really honky tonk once they get in full bloom, let us know how you get on.

Edited by muffintop
  • Like 3

On 01/05/2016 at 8:57 PM, Ogami-itto said:

What are peeps using for aeration? Been looking for rice hulls but not that common online in UK and in the few places that do sell it, its like in 500g bags.

Any organic, nice alternatives?

I found oat husks in bigger bag sizes so would that work just as well?

Peace

Worms do a splendid job @ keeping your soil areated. it's never ending. @muffintop u should show ur girls more :guitar:your hiding the crème de la crème of cannabis:notworthy: looking forward to Hubbabubbasmelloscope what she taste like:skin_up:

Edited by Percygrower_420
  • Like 1

Cheers @Percygrower_420. I'm not really into the diary and pictures thing, it's not really my cup of tea. I might post the odd picture like HBSS earlier in this thread, but that's my limit really.

The picture was just to show people who have doubts about yield when growing in no-till really, once they try it they wont go back. ;)

• Like 4

Mephisto say @muffintopits the Sour Livers that really honks, proper filter killer! they used the Livers clone which is known for being a stinker, Mephisto says its in their own personal top 5 out of everything they have tried over the years both photo and auto, Im sure the Stilton will be no slouch though either, the Northern Cheese Haze tested at over 20% THC, I know its not the be all but nice numbers none the less, especially for an autoflower. 

Edited by nudger36
  • Like 2