No-till thread

muffintop

@H4rdc0r3 Yes the Meridian stuff is meant to be stocked at my er local Weight Rose but they don't ever have it for some reason.

To the Mighty River ! lol

• Like 1

@Jimmyarm I got some from the big river, Rayners essentials, think £10 for a massive tub, 3kg. It's lasting me a while..

• Like 1

Yes its unsulphered @Percygrower_420 :yep: 

whats the popcorn kernels for?,im guessing not for popcorn lol and whats the brown/greeny looking stuff in the unmarked bag?

h4rdc0r3.

• Like 2

@H4rdc0r3 evening man. kernels are for the sprouted Seed Tea's great for Enzymes:afro:Brilliant organic boost for your plants:sorry:. Greeny stuff be:pugwash:Kelp for me plants Nitrogen. stops everything going so Yellow:D it's for my next run, to be used on the pots i'm running know:oldtoker:

Edited by Percygrower_420
  • Like 2

I get my molasses from The Nutrient Company (TNC), a quick google and you should find it. It will last you ages, I'm still on the same bottle I purchased ages ago.

Edited by muffintop
  • Like 3

thanks for the info @Percygrower_420,do you blend everything up and mix it when you make your teas?,do you drain it or just give it as is?

you tried bamboo? for strengthening and promoting growth?,i learned about it when i was looking into knft.

h4rdc0r3

Edited by H4rdc0r3
  • Like 3

Teas have two uses in my book. 

1) As a kick start to / addition to the microbe life in the soil. 

2)As a nutrient tea aimed at flowering/veg. 

For 1 you really just need to concentrate on good quality ewc and mollasss as food source to help the microbes breed. 

The microbes break down the organic constitutes into readily available plant accessible nutrition. Burst in microbe life leads to burst in what's already in the pot becoming available. This is where the should I add more N , more P or K falls down. As the plant will choose what it wants if the life in the soil is rocking. 

I dont do 2 as often as aim to ensure the top dress and mix has available mix that can be broken down by the microbes. 

This is is why QUALITY EWC are so important. I wouldn't bother with ready made bags of ewc. No idea how old it is, what they've been fed in, cut with etc. Lot of worm farms feed mix of carbaord and that's pretty much it. Your own worm bin is going to result in far more active / diverse microbe life imo. 

This is the site if you want to go in depth on teas :yep:  

http://microbeorganics.com/

Interesting read that microbe link @bobnudd thanks for that fella:afro: get your point about Fresh EWC. I do place worms and a cover crop this should create a mini compost within the pot creating fresh ewc. These fresh castings along with ewc tea and ewc placed on top of the pots should create a enough of the good bacteria for the plants to excell to there full potential.What u tring to say........... STOP being a lazy mother MUCKER:Plol

4 hours ago, H4rdc0r3 said:

thanks for the info @Percygrower_420,do you blend everything up and mix it when you make your teas?,do you drain it or just give it as is?

you tried bamboo? for strengthening and promoting growth?,i learned about it when i was looking into knft.

h4rdc0r3

Na worries mate:DI mix my teas up with a bamboo stick, no blending apart from when sprouted popcorn is being used.Left for about two days to activate, the remainder of the tea made gets placed in the flowerbed below. A little boost:hippy:. Bamboo sounds interesting guess it's the fresh stuff mixed in with teas, i can image it abundance of auxins considerin gthe rate it grows in certain places. I do use coconut which is riff with auxins which give plants a great boost. my house mate is growing a bamboo wall at the allotment so do have access:punk:to fresh bamboo. I'll have to look into that cheers @H4rdc0r3:yep:

large.IMG_0094.jpg

Edited by Percygrower_420
  • Like 2

Hopefully I can put into this thread this time, rather than asking a question.

If like me, you have been trying to find straw to use as a mulch that absolutely hasn't been sprayed with weedkiller (I lost half a small allotments veg plants to using straw mulch that must have been) but can't seem to find it this maybe the solution.

Google 'Strulch'

It doesn't specifically say that it hasn't been sprayed but I have asked the question and will post the answer up.

It seems to be being used in some pretty high profile gardens though so I am hoping it is safe. The FAQ's on it sound promising too.

It is £15 for two massive bags of it at my local garden centre, so fairly pricey if you can get a bale for tuppence or whatever, but the places I have seen them for sale and asked the weedkiller question either don't know or say yes. It was pet shop stuff that killed plants before so I have been avoiding buying it from there !

• Like 2

Just gone back over this thread, it's really inspiring  so started price checking stuff and  it's not such wallet damaging switch.

I've used Strulch and it does look nice on beds as a mulch however it does have a sharp almost acidic smell to it and although it does work a little better at preventing slugs it seems damp never crisp like straw can be. I'd be worried using for ganja tbh. Farm shops are good for straw.

Edited by Ital
  • Like 4

I use organic meadow hay, available off that well known auction site, it will also last you a long time.

• Like 3

Finaly getting my shit together with this is there anything i should add/change?

Either 4 x 35l pots or 1 x 100l pot per meter square.

Biobizz?

50l light mix

50l coco

50l worm castings

Handfull of each Admendments.

Kelp meal

alfalfa meal

gypsum

fishbloodbone

rock dust

eco thrive charge

Mycorr max

comfrey pellets

worms>which ones?

Medowhay for mulch.

Stuff for teas

Bucket

aquarium pump/airstone size?

corn kernals

malted barley

What im confused about mainly is the enzyme teas. What too add and when?

Do i need a cover crop mulch is the hay the mulch?

Also potting up ,do you pot up in light mix and use these as finals as i dont plan on having a veg space anymore these big pots would be in the way or is potting up not needed?

Ill get a wormery sorted once its up  and running

Sorry for all the questions if anybody could help it would be much appreciated thanks.

:skin_up:

Hey Key4 looks like your well on your way mate. Don't think there are right or wrong answers to any of this really...you're find what works and change things around as you try them. Below are some my thoughts from my experience down the path...

12 minutes ago, Key4 said:

Finaly getting my shit together with this is there anything i should add/change?

Either 4 x 35l pots or 1 x 100l pot per meter square.

Tough one this. Pros and cons. 100l going be fuker to move  and to water well I'd would consider sips of blumats  I would go 35l - mind I've been using 11l fabrics pots and on 4th run in the same pot. Not saying I'd do that if I had space for bigger pots lol  . Whatever way I would definitely use fabric pots  

Biobizz?

50l light mix

50l coco

50l worm castings

Missing aeration in there. The worm castings will be heavy. I run bit more than 1/3 perlite in mine. Gives a really airy mix and works well on sip. Is that what your coco was for?

Either way add more aeration mate. See a lot of US recommend rice hulls. Never found them over here but also breakdown after a few runs anyway. Also have a look at growstones no2 if not keen on perlite. Seen them in uk growshops. 

Re light mix, tbh I think I'd be going for just peat. Then you in control of inputs. Clover do some pure peat moss. See growell direct.  Nothing wrong with a bit of coco too. 

Handfull of each Admendments.

Kelp meal

alfalfa meal

gypsum

fishbloodbone

rock dust

eco thrive charge

Mycorr max

comfrey pellets

Nowt wrong  with them. I'd go 1 cup per 30l of kelp

rest Nutes half cup. Always top dress more. But can't take it out. 

Obvious one one missing Is neem. I added it second run. Haven't had any pest issues period. Chance maybe but.... happy it's in there. 

Charge = Chitin all good. 

FBB I don't use. Can be fast release N. if you add neem I think you would be covered. Also got comfrey. 

Comfrey pellets great stuff but can be hot. 

Rock dust id add 2-3 cups. It's heavy obviously ;) 

gypsum 1/2 cup - but 1 cup if you using 1/3 coco. 

Have you thought of biochar? Nice add on for the microbes. Carbon gold worth a butchers. 

Also add malted barley to your mix. Approx 1 cup per 30l 

worms>which ones?

Medowhay for mulch.

You you can get the type you need from fishi shop. Little red worms or brandlings. Enough for your pots anyway. They can also be used to start a pile. Or online. Not lob worms!

Stuff for teas

Bucket

aquarium pump/airstone size?

corn kernals

malted barley

The stones get blocked quick. Buy cheap ones is my advice. For. 5l brew an aquarium pump ok.  Paint strainer bag for ewc, but I just leave it in the bucket. 

What im confused about mainly is the enzyme teas. What too add and when?

The idea idea of the sst is for certain enzymes in growth/flower etc. I've made most of them a few times. Don't do it that often now but add malted barley to top of pots every 4/5 weeks. And it's in the soil. These enzymes essentially supercharge the breakdown and cycling in pots. 

Re enzymes teas you can add mbp to a tea...but towards the end else bad things can happen. I'd just brew as per micro organics link I posted. And add ssts separate. 

You can add but if MBP TO ewc day a so before to supercharge them before brewing. 

Do i need a cover crop mulch is the hay the mulch?

No dont need it. Looks nice tho. Most important is to ensure you keeping top layers damp. I spray my mulch down every few days.  It dies off anyway as the canopy grows. Certainly add it though. Bit of clover etc. 

Also potting up ,do you pot up in light mix and use these as finals as i dont plan on having a veg space anymore these big pots would be in the way or is potting up not needed?

Options options ... if you growing from clone can plant straight in once rooted decently in a small pot. 

If seed I've typically put them in after a 2-3l  if sexing or adding to a soil mix or in the notill pots straight from starter pot - Fems only here. Very different to normal pot up routine. If they mix is light enough I've seen happy days. 

Ill get a wormery sorted once its up  and running

Sorry for all the questions if anybody could help it would be much appreciated thanks.

:skin_up:

Hope it helps. No real right or wrong mate. 

Most of alll this is about having fun and learning so follow heart. I do less now that 12 mths ago. And even less than 18mths ago...and still seem to be getting decent growth. Most of all the taste is a+

but that worm farm will be your best investment. Also if you got stuff like lead mold in your garden or decent compost no harm adding that. 

Look forward to watching your adventure :yep: 

Appreciate the detailed reply @bobnudd thanks a lot you've answered everything there. :thumsup:

Ive got the microbe organics link bookmarked ill get through that over the next couple week.

I cant be that hard can it . Just doing outdoors indoors kinda lol