No-till thread

muffintop

Hi all. On the 2nd round of crops on my no-till now. Noticed a few of the plants are getting too much nitrogen - dark green leaves plus curling.

How do I go about trying to rectify this? It's not like hyrdo where you can suddenly go and flush or change the solution.

Any ideas?

you mean you want every ingredient we used in the soil mix? could it be using too many nitro rich compost teas in the first grow?

@@Ogami-itto, could mean nitrogen toxicity as RR pointed out what did you put in soil? Sounds like there could be to much 'N' in your mix. Also could be over watered? Just my pennies worth. Gud luck with it mate.

top of the morning to you! i dont think its over-watering; I am quite stringent. i think these pots just had too much in them - although checking the ladies this morning they seem to have calmed down. the curling has receded noticeably. still not sure how to play things moving fwd? should i be using any types of compost teas or adding any specific mulch? any tips appreciated....

lol Ogami-itto, top of the morning to you to lol lol even tho it's afternoon now lol.

Ok so it's not over watering, well that's out of the way then. Have you just reported the ladies that you refer to "i think these pots just had too much in them". Too much what could be the question that may give you your answer. If you feel the ladies have calmed down I would be inclined to leave them be for now & just keep an eye on them.

How far are you with your grow, what stage? I use nettle tea myself but comfrey & other tea's are good also. I believe barley straw would be a good mulch & top dress to keep girls warm whilst allowing the soil to stay moist as it's not a dry, wet cycle. This is my understanding of it anyway, just my pennies worth. Good luck.

I would hold back on the tea's and just use plain water for a few waterings, see if it fixes the issue.

Edited by muffintop
  • Like 3

Hi muffintop, nice to meet you. I just wanted to saw I read through this thread you created & it's so good. You have put excellent ideas, comments & alternative on here, a wealth of information. Sounds like you really know your stuff where I'm sure alot of research, reading & practical experiences have gone to works.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask a question about malt barley to you & others. Is malt barley the same as organic pot barley or organic pearl barley as I'm finding ing it difficult to get malt barley. TIA.

Edited by Irishgirl

Thank you for the kind words @@Irishgirl, but it really is a community effort, I just post my findings to here. Malted barley is needed for the enzymes, do you not have a brew shop near you?

• Like 1

Muffintop, no brew shop near me & one I did find far away & looks double dutch on website with all fancy names. I did find the pot & peralite barley in the natural organic shop near me. I best get searching again but postage to & within Ireland is usually more then the products you are looking for lol.

Yes I did find a place but it all different base grain malts such as- malt 4-7, malt 2.8-4.5, malt 4-7 & so on. I rang the company who were not so helpful, his attitude was any of them will do you. Some fecken help he was NOT!!! Pissed me off for the day now eeerrr.

Ooh deer I ordered the following base grain, will I reorder?

BEST Heidelberg Malt 2.0 to 2.9 EBC 1 Kg

BEST Heidelberg is used especially for brewing beers extremely light in color. It forms an excellent "light" and enzyme-rich foundation for almost all beer styles.

Malt characteristics: low protein levels, high extract content, very light color and high enzymatic activity.

Perfect for:

- Premium pilsner

- Lager

- Märzen

- Ale

- Kölsch

- All light beers

Maximum Percentage: 100%.

Should be fine, some places send it crushed that is all. You don't want it pre-crushed.

I ordered it crushed for tea's as this was what I was lead to believe. Oops!!! Well it will do now till maybe again when I do order.