No-till thread

muffintop

@@Irishgirl

yeah i tried fish waste :bad::bad::bad: dont but you could pick up some prawn and crab shells http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/gardenerscorner/crabmealfertilizer.htm

Mmmh, ya fish waste is out for me, for sure. I don't know about crab & prawn shells as I believe they through crabs back into the sea & don't do prawns but will check this out.

So is ecothrive charge a substitute? & what is chitin?

Charge is insect frass which is basically Beatle poop I think. I've been adding that to my pots already in veg. It's good food for vegging.

• Like 2

I haven't been able to source crab meal (well unless i wanted enough to grow for the next 500 years or so...) . Some shells, but that would take years to break down. , so have gone down the Charge route and incorporated MBP into mix and top dress.

More I read about MBP, more it seems like one of the most effective amendments and cost effective too.

I put a tablespoon of powdered egg shells on as top dress when starting a new cycle, I also put some in my worm bin with each feeding, as it helps them get through the food quicker.

Edited by muffintop
  • Like 2

@@muffintop yeah I do that too worms love them and I also think it encourages them to work the top surface during the grow :)

@@Irishgirl just to clarify something from earlier Gypsum is a Calcium source whereas Epsom is for Magnesium both are sulphates and therefore contain Sulphur too.

HTH :oldtoker:

• Like 3

I'm about to jump on the no till journey and have a question. I will be starting with 4 x 15gal pots. I know some people have 4-5 plants per pot. This is what I would want to do and my question is about cycles and mixed strains.

I would like to be able to put 2 long flowering Sativas (16+ weeks) into one of the pots - or 1 each in 2 of the pots. How does this impact on what I do beginning cycles and end of cycle for said pot(s)?

Are any of you already doing what I plan to do?

I'm not going to start off doing this - perhaps get round to it when I feel confident with the method. Future planning :)

• Like 1

I had a couple of questions for the other no tillers out there mainly in regards to products to use.

I have been looking at brew shops for malted barley it seems to come in differnt types i.e. crystal malt 150, crystal malt 240, crushed cara malt etc... is there a preference for which is best for soil

For neem meal is the house of mistry greenit neem fertilizer good?

Lastly gypsum powder is used in the manufacture of tofu and lots of the asian stores stock it very cheaply, would this gypsum be ok to use in soil?

Thanks for your help guys.

greenie

• Like 1

@@green_machine the Septics all go on about 6 row malted barley as having the highest enzyme content. You'll struggle to find that in the UK as its something more related to their brewing industry. 2 row will be fine though . I got some from an online brew shop, about 1 or 2kilos, and will last ages. This may get turned into a SPAM link.....but might save you some time...something like this.

http://themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=110

Re Gypsum, I dunno about that mate. I went via the bay and a small bag again would amend loads. Alterntive you might be able to source local is Vitalink Claybreaker. Its expensive gypsum.