No-till thread

muffintop

@@flee420 very true but theft are also invasive hence it's best going for the Bocking 14 cultivar that@@Jimboo mentioned unless you want a garden of comfrey ;) I have them and they are just coming out again after dying back over the winter :)

• Like 1

@@Ogami-itto sorry for the multi posts but I'm replying in between customers atm :) Thought I should also mention baby nettle shoots that I served up a tea of last night to my gals, I will be posting about it later tonight in my diary that's in my sig if u want further info....and yes I gave it to my flowering gals too :)

• Like 3

Alfalfa needs planting quite apart from each shoot so ive read, its got a super defence mechanism and will kill whatever is close by, releases some kind of toxin I think. Amazing bit of nature is Alfalfa.

Edited by nudger36
  • Like 2

Sorry guys but what is this bocking magic? Is it a strain of comfrey? Why is it better - doesnt spread or something?

bocking 14 is a sterile hybrid comfrey strain which is propogated by root cuttings at just about this time of year, it's particularly suitable for use in compost and making teas etc as it accumulates more of the relevant nutrients than other vars.

Fwiw now is the time to make stinging nettle tea.

• Like 6

@@Ogami-itto other ideas for flowering organic teas.....dandelion flowers and mature bananas the latter having lots of lovely plant sugars ;)

i read somewhere about useing any fast growing green leaf stuff in veg and flower heads when your plants are in flower for making nute or tea's :stoned:

• Like 3

Sorry guys but what is this bocking magic? Is it a strain of comfrey? Why is it better - doesnt spread or something?

higher potassium levels than common comfrey as well IIRC

• Like 3

One other plant i would recommend for tea's is Horsetail its bunged with silica I used it the year before last and I'm convinced it gave me amazing roots,I think it might be a bit early in the year for it atm,

eta I was so convinced I collected half a black refuse sack full of it last year at my parents place with the intention of drying it ,then came home without it

Edited by Jimboo
  • Like 4

Good call @@Jimboo, good for powdery mildew apparently, never used it, ive got some in my pond too! im going to drop some in my next tea now, totally forgot about that.

Edited by nudger36

One other thing, i find fresh Comfrey juice a mild skin irritant ,you might want to wear gloves when handling large amounts of it, i suppose the same could be said for all other plants you are not familiar with :yes:

• Like 3

Ok guys got a question say i needed 20L of potting mix and i used a quater (5L) worm castings would this be ok ie. not be to hot of a mix ?

and before you ask its gonna be 10L of soil from my allotment 5L of well rotted wood high in beatle frass then 5L of worm casting

Bless

The wood sounds interesting if well rotted. Sounds good to me pal, but id be weary of it being bit heavy. What aeration you planning on using or was that the wood?

EWC can hold a lot of water imo. Don't know what your soil is like, but I'd have a whack of perlite in there.

@@bobnudd yh thats the idea as its been decomposing for 3years now with a healthy verity of beatles liveing in it and its consistancy is fluffy and light like coco lol

bless