My dinafem discovery and subsequent delight

blackpoolbouncer

@@blackpoolbouncer busy is an understatement! I can't help but notice a few of those plants are "active" do you keep any of those for personal use?

I've read through your whole diary and I've got to say its inspirational to say the least! Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Herby

• Like 2

@@sy100276 aye. If I'm honest its taken its toll this year. Looking back through the list there's loads I've forgotten to add and that doesn't include the approx 1000 bulbs that have gone in too.

The keen eyed gardeners out there will realise that most of that stuff is Perenial so will not need to be done again next year so this is kinda a one off to some extent. Once I've got this year out of the way it will be a case of topping up as and when needed.

@@Herbygreen that kind you for taking the time to get through this. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I don't see it ending anytime soon either. I've still got lots to share and will be working my way through a load more of dinafems catalogue.

I take it your referring to the Salvia and the morning glory when you say "active"

It has crossed my mind however Salvia fall into a large family and I don't think any of the varieties I have growing are active.

The morning glory however is. But the side effects are enough for me to resist having a munch on them lol

As for personal use.....all those flowers have been done en mass so there are dozens of each which will no doubt many will find there way into my garden. That gives me enough pleasure on its own when admiring with a j in the garden.

Its all a labour of love. I put in the extra hours at work and it means I get to brighten hundreds of people's world up and at the same time brighten up mine.

My job isn't really a job. Its much more than that and hard for me to explain here without giving too much away but I'm basically doing my best to improve and maintain what has taken three generations to create and hopefully will be the legacy I leave for my children.

My family has been working the same piece of land for over 300 years so my home is sacred to me.

Anyways I'm really waffling now.

What I'm trying to say is its all for something I hold dear so it is all worth it.

The allotment is purely for my pleasure though and the joy of sharing my fruits will my loved ones. The way I look at it is that most people start an allotment when they retire. Haha I'm only 27 so I've got one hell of a head start to get good at it.

Peace out guys

• Like 10

@@botanics active means psychoactive. Basically some plants can be used for mind altering properties. Like Salvia, leaves can be dried and smoked I think,never tried it though

Edited by sy100276
  • Like 3

@@botanics sy is right. The Salvia can be smoked. You can eat parts of the morning glory too and apparently deliver something similar to lsd if ya have enough but apparently this carries quite bad diahorrea and sickness with it. The last thing I'd want tripping.

Nope not for me.

Quick update. One of the purple trainwrecks is getting thinned down a bit today. She's nearly ready and at the very last hurdles has decided to chuck some nanas out last night. Only spotted a handful and I was gonna be starting with her anyway so down she will be coming.

No signs of any nanas on the Aks or other PT.

The big Aks are getting well fed up of being sat under that big light without moving.

Again.....another advantage of auto's is you can pull just as much bud but from far far shorter plants.

I just cant wait to get back onto them. I'm itching

• Like 6

@@blackpoolbouncer Looks stunning in there dude, but i know what you mean by having space to work around your girls, thats why i like doing 5 a time in my tent instead of filling it.

When you said you were busy planting you werent messing about. Thats a hell of a list of plants and flowers etc.

Atb with the rest of the show. :v:

• Like 2

@@blackpoolbouncer thanks so much for the advice regarding feeding etc. Might sound like a stupid question but what's the difference between the normal ww autos and the ww xxl autos?

I've drilled small holes all around my 11l pots in anticipation for the training to commence. I'm planning to bend the main stem 90 degrees around the 4/5th node and take it from there. I've done single pot scrogs and full tent scrogs(never again) in the past with mixed results so know a little about weaving and tucking. Although training without a screen will be new to me, is there any advice you can give me on how to go about this?

I thought I was busy this time of year with my garden, allotment and the tent in full flow but you really have put me to shame, let's hope those frosts have passed and the summer is good to us all.

My new clover compost arrived last night, looks the business ;)

Thanks mate

TD

Edited by Topdraw
  • Like 4

That is some serious amount of plants you have had to get ready mate no wonder you have been so busy :) Nice to read your planting certain plants/trees that are dying out or in trouble :) very nice to read.

Things now they are getting established should start to slow down more as feedings should not be so frequently :)

All the best

D-M.

• Like 2

@@botanics certainly not. Doesn't sound my cuppa tea anyway.

@@Freax cheers dude. If I'm honest I've been too busy this year. Aye. Its nice to have a lovely full room but the practically of it isn't ideal. I prefer working with less plants and more space for sure. I haven't been able to sit with them and study them this way. I'd rather be able to go in with a j and know each plant inside out. For example there are main lower branches that have seen no light that should be producing 1/3 ounce buds that are nowt but popcorn which is down purely to me not tucking a leaf or two outa the way at the right time.

Ho hum.

@@Topdraw your welcome mate. As far as I can see the only difference is the xxl plants are designed to go a little longer and have a slightly longer veg therefore bigger plants.

If I'm honest from what I've read I think it's a bit of marketing mumbo jumbo.

I've run a cheese xxl and didn't think it was any different tbf to a normal version.

I may try a side by side of the white widow and the xxl. 225g from the non xxl means the xxl has got some living up to do.

Sounds like you've got things under control and ya know what your doing.

My only advice would be to have a gander in my gallery and copy what I did with the white widow, critical jack or cheese. Just keep em flat. In my opinion doing it without a screen is easier to get the shape you want. Once your branches are all spread out evenly and flat, each branch is easy to keep in check as it just means adjusting each tie to suit.

This is why I use garden wire as you can just unhook it and and just the hook rather than actually tying each one down with string and then if it need altering theres a load of buggering about with knots.

As for frost...There's some of the way this weekend apparently...eeek!!

Glad you like the look of the clover.it will serve you very well. At the end of the day all ya need to do is look at the plants I grow at day 30 for you to see how good it is.

Up till then all I do is give em water and the compo does the hard work.

Just a side note.....everything I have grown this year has been done in clover from seed and it looks absolutely healthy and tip to and to be fair, my veg young uns look far better than the veg plugs for sale at all the local garden centres......bar the one I use of course.

I keep telling folks. The right compost is half the battle to growing outstanding plants.

@@Dinafem-Mark aye it's been a battle mate. Things have calmed down loads now. Most nights im done by 8 at night and its getting quicker all the time as stuff goes out.

We do everything we can for conservation and have been awarded a David Bellamy gold award for it. Many people don't know but there are many tree species that are in trouble in this country so we try to do our bit. Planting trees is important and something that doesn't get done much these days. People are forever taking them out but not thinking of future generations.

If my grandad and great grandad hadn't have had that mentality then my world wouldn't be as beautiful as it is today and I hope my children one day feel the same.

@@bluntz27 really glad you've enjoyed it mate and it has helped ya grow better plants. The pleasure is all mine although I'm sure you enjoy it lol

Well. I set off to do a lunchtime update but haven't got to round to it and I need to get back to work. So I shall upload my purple trainwreck buds shots tonight.

Been thinning this girl down a bit and removing any buds with nanas.

Its my own fault entirely down to a light leak I reckon. Nothing on any of the others touch wood.

Fill ya all in properly later.

Peace out

• Like 9

@@blackpoolbouncer

Just caught up with your diary mate, a thoroughly enjoyable read! Thanks for the effort and detail you put into your updates.

You're growing some of my favourite plants outside of your groom, delphiniums, foxgloves, lupins to name a few. I love going out in the garden on a sunny day and sitting by said plants, smoke a joint and just sit back and watch the insects and bees buzzing in and around the flowers.

I hear you on conservation and well done for playing your part! If we all put something back the world would be a much nicer place. A few years ago we reinstated a natural pond and planted hundreds of trees and hedgerow plants in my dads garden, it's amazing the amount of different wildlife it has attracted in such a short space of time.

We're the same age mate - I wish I had 10% the plant knowledge and wisdom that you possess. Keep on doing what you're doing and good luck (not that you need it).

• Like 2