A look at DNA Ultimate soil with cork

Lobo

Good to know thanks I'll have a look next time I use it.

A mate used fertile fibre for a while, fed organics (AN I think, when they first came out) and rated it highly. They looked healthy enough and apparently grew very well, but I thought there was something missing from the bud, like most coco grown (vs compost). Bigger and fluffier, but less dense bud, with simpler and less earthy flavours, though very sweet, smooth and clean burning. It was also really expensive to buy (still appears to be).

Another mate currently uses the new horizon peat free stuff, which is also mostly coir, but feeds as coco (with canna), and get's good results (same or better than when using canna coco which is twice+ the price). Only used it for cuts before msyelf, it has a very nice texture (seems to just be good quality coco with a little composted wood, and a light pre-fert).

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought some DNA ultimate soil, there is not a lot of info about this product, so if anyone has any experience with this soil could you tell me when I should first feed, if it is light enough for seedlings and all that jazz. Thanks in advance.

Only used it for final pots so far myself. Its quite strong, no idea how long I waited till I fed them. I do find it dries out quite quick, which has caught me out a few times.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled the trigger on a bag of DNA soil after spending a nice morning with a fellow running a side by side with PM soil using OT nutes under 1kw set up 6 weeks into flower.

I have to say DNA plant buds are noticeably bigger and stronger at this stage, not massive but beside the PM run its noticeable ok hes only running 3 and 3 so could be the seeds but all are from the same packet etc so its as side by side as possible.

As @@KingBlueRizla he was advised it was too hot for seeds so only used on final 11lt potup too. Reckons so far hes not had to use ANY nutes on the DNA plants at all this grow and is not expecting to, wtf ? :eek: ( he went PM soil in seed pots to 2lt still on PM including 6lt pots then changed to DNA in the 11 as the final pot btw ) vegged 10 more days in the 11 then flipped.

I decided I just have to check this out for myself, I love PM soil but a supersoil that runs final pot to harvest needing no nutes is interesting, if it gives even the same results as with a traditional nute soil run it has got to be well worth looking into and could potentially save a lot of money effort and time.

Been hearing a lot about supersoils lately, just plant and just add water seems to be the way its going.

I'll run a side by side and see for myself.

Edited by Victor Kruger
  • Like 2

Bought some about a month ago and thought I'd try a side-by-side with New Horizon peat free.

These are two clones of Harmony (Reeferman), the one on the left is in DNA Ultimate Soil and the one on the right is New Horizon + a few amendments and the usual organic feeds etc. They are vegging under CFL's but moving into flower this week.

Both doing very well and very similar at the moment. I'll post some updates as things move along... ;)

med_gallery_76003_5935_102265.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, they were neck and neck in veg but the Mills cut is defiantly looking better than the New Horizon now.

Pics below. Larger buds and stronger aromas with the Mills soil - I'm impressed so far.

Mills DNA soil

gallery_76003_5935_31379.jpg

New Horizon

gallery_76003_5935_103479.jpg

Mills close-up

gallery_76003_5935_109172.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Blimy, quite a difference.

Tried pre fertilised soil before and it was a struggle to work out how much nutes to add when the yellowing started.

Will this work with organic nutes?

• Like 2

Time to finish this up - these guys came down today after taking some pics. This is just a little experiment I did for myself to try to find a reliable medium, it's not meant to be the final word on this. I bought all teh compost myself so I am not biased towards the Mills DNA soil - I did get some sample Shogun nutes free that I used for the hempy bucket though.

I thought this soil was excellent - Mills DNA hint that it's 'all natural' etc and somewhere I've seen the word organic but it's not peat-free and probably not organic which is a shame because the results were very impressive and I'd be happy to fork out a bit more cash for a trouble free and reliable medium. The pics below speak for themselves. The New Horizon performed pretty poorly even given plenty of guano nutes and other organic supplements and the Mills DNA soil plant was just given water mostly.

I also tried a little hempy bucket grow using new nutes from Shogun (owned by Growell I think). This was a small 1.5 litre container filled with coco and perlite for the bottom inch - standard hempy set-up. I didn't check ph or anything, just used their 2 part grow and bloom throughout and this plant also performed really well after a difficult start. Very nice plant in the end.

All the best

Mills DNA Ultimate soil plant

med_gallery_76003_5935_27382.jpg

New Horizon Peat Free

med_gallery_76003_5935_12618.jpg

Side by side

med_gallery_76003_5935_151182.jpg

Hempy with Shogun nutes

med_gallery_76003_5935_28282.jpg

Close up Mills DNA

med_gallery_76003_5935_90907.jpg

Close up New Horizon

med_gallery_76003_5935_86078.jpg

Close up hempy

med_gallery_76003_5935_138296.jpg

• Like 1

@@podencoid - How did you find it for watering? I found it can dry out very quickly. Gonna give it another go again soon I think.

Might want to add some Kelp meal into the mix to help water retention ;)

• Like 1

@@Victor Kruger - I got to week 6 or 7 without needing any nutrients on an OG Kush, but then a very quick yellowing happened.

K so I potted up into finals about 6 weeks ago and yup it has needed nutes since this week and i was ready for it thanks to you so cheers :)

Way too early to tell what the final results will be but so far its not made any major noticeable difference yet but i prefer the weight of the medium as a soil, root system seems to be more solid anyway and stems are a bit thicker.

It does seem to dry out faster or maybe they are just drinking more not sure.

• Like 1

@@podencoid - How did you find it for watering? I found it can dry out very quickly. Gonna give it another go again soon I think.

No noticeable problems - it caught me by surprise a couple of times but nothing extreme. Seems like very good stuff? I usually grow organic so I don't have any non-organic grows to compare it with. Maybe there are better composts out there but this one seems reliable and pretty good results.

The Hempy experiment did really well just with Shogun Samurai Terra grow & bloom - it wasn't even designed for use with coco but no problems at all with it and I just fed at 2ml per litre and hoped for the best. Surprising. I still love organics, have done for decades, but I also make oil for medical use and the yields are so much better with non-organic nutes so I'm conflicted now about what to do in future....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well i'm sold, harvested last week and my Heavy Duty Fruity gave me 10g lol from a 6 litre pot. Chopped up the compost afterwards and i had litterally no roots :(

Culled two skunk males from the veg room in smaller pots and its the same situation, thin cream coloured roots.

Had trouble with Canna Terra before, was going to go back to PM, but fancied something different as i found PM's stuff too easy to waterlog. Cork repels water so should force air round the roots is what i'm hoping.

The results on your pics look amazing. Can't wait for it to arrive.