A look at DNA Ultimate soil with cork

Lobo

Thought i would grab a bag of each product to see what the fuss is about.

This is a very fluffy airy compost containing Peat, Black peat, Coco chips and cork chips. There is no mention of any other fertilisers or growth factors such as EWC so I imagine this is a very lightly fertilsed compost. The consistency really is excellent and clean. it doesn't clump together when squeezed and leaves no residue on the hands.

I shall be adding my usual arsenal of inoculants and ferts:

Perfect start

Ecothrive charge

Bio char

GK complete organics.

Neem powder.

gallery_51510_4032_319853.jpg

gallery_51510_4032_11317.jpg

gallery_51510_4032_63844.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting. It does look very loose and light by the pictures. I should imagine that roots will love it. I'll be interested to here your opinion once you've finished a grow with it. Atb mate

• Like 2

I currently have some PsychoSister in some DNA soil. It is quite strong though, they have just finished week 3 and haven't needed any nutrients. I think they will need a small dose of bloom in the next week or so.

It does dry out a bit quicker than soils I have used in the past, but I think this is what helps keep the roots happy. £20 a bag, but I do think its worth it. Especially if crappy BioBizz soil is £15 per bag. :rofl:

I did an update to my diary with pictures of the PsychoSister in DNA soil. Click here for the link.

• Like 4

Yeah it is nice not having to feed through the stretch. As I have said, slight bit of tip burn, but nothing to worry about.

@@Lobo looks nice and fluffy

I was going to give Auto Pots a try but I'm going back to drippers this grow and I reckon this stuff might be just the right stuff

I'll be interested to see what it's like mate

+1 on that.

@@Lobo, will be interesting to see the DNA stuff as well mate. Its a toss up between Canna and PM for me as I want to do my first RTW and will water by hand, but it will be good to see how this DNA stuff goes and if it will suit hand watering as well.... Nice one. GV.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you KBR, sick of losing 20% of a bag of All Mix to waste once sieved, quality is terrible.

If this is all usable then I may give it a try...

RR

• Like 4

@@Lobo

Good thread, chap! However, I have one problem, and I don't mean it to sound narky coz its not meant that way, but.... given the arsenal of of inoculants and ferts, isn't it going to be tricky to observe how the compost itself performs?

My main problem with it (the compost, that is) though, is the heavy peat reliance. I know, its almost impossible not to use peat but I do still hold out and hope for a compost to arrive that is not only peat free but which out-performs peat too.

I'm using what sounds like a similar mix, PM's "Soil Supreme". Annoyingly its peat based, but otherwise a lovely tilth-y compost that, given the right nutrients, performs very well and gives the roots an almost perfect medium to fill. But therein, I find, lies the problem. One has to discover the right nutrient mix to suit the plants. This is, I think, my fourth run with Soil Supreme and for the first time I feel I may have got it sussed!

Looking forward to your observations. We need threads like this, and a lot more of them! Thankyou. :notworthy:

Edited by Arnold Layne

@@Road_Runner - There is the odd bit of crap in the bag, but next to none really. I didn't sieve it and it is fine.

@@StevieRays - I think it may be too hot for seedlings, but I have only used for the pot before final pots, when the plants had grown decent roots. A friend started some cuttings in the soil a few weeks ago, I shall inquire as to how they liked it. I used PM Soil Supreme for the starter pots and they loved it. I certainly won't be buying more Biobizz, that's for sure.

• Like 2

@@StevieRays I have some seed plants that i have just topped and they have been i a slightly modified mix of the DNA soil since rooting out their baby pots. All apart from one gimpy plant are doing very well indeed.

I added some Ecothrive charge, Perfect Start and a little bit of fytocell i had left over - maybe 5% of the mix.

@@Road_Runner absolutely no waste at all in this stuff, the composition is quite fine and fluffy ( a few soft lumps of peat to be broken up) and so far I can see it holds liquid as well or better than most compost mixes in that it does not allow itself to get too soggy yet retains moisture well enough for normal watering schedule. The medium in the pots, even when settled, remains quite spongy.

@@Arnold Layne If this thread helps a salty dog such as yourself, then my work is done. How's the bread making these days? ;)

Big fan of soil supreme myself, in terms of composition it's one of the best out there. However I always felt it was too lightly fertilised for me so I took to making my own custom mix of 50% supreme with 50% Batmix - my other favorite compost which is excellent for plant and especially root health but is very coarse and needs sorting though to improve it. Added to this is some extra ingredients for inoculation and I have found this to be the best compost I have tried. The two seem to complement each other well, each reinforcing the others weak points if ya get me.

The bag of DNA soil here is already meddled with - Grochar, neem powder and Ecothrive have been added and the mix is brewing ready for the next potting stage. I firmly believe in a well fortified, biologically active medium - one thing about the DNA mix is I do not see any ingredients apart from the peat and cork. I would like to see some EWC or even rotted wood bark in there for mycos and all the other lovely creatures therein ;)

I see the compost as a foundation to tweak and build on - I'll break something to see why it isn't fixed to be honest...

Some pics:

gallery_51510_10491_259479.jpg

gallery_51510_10491_14447.jpg

gallery_51510_10491_266876.jpg

Edited by Lobo
  • Like 5

@@Lobo

Good thread, chap! However, I have one problem, and I don't mean it to sound narky coz its not meant that way, but.... given the arsenal of of inoculants and ferts, isn't it going to be tricky to observe how the compost itself performs?

My main problem with it (the compost, that is) though, is the heavy peat reliance. I know, its almost impossible not to use peat but I do still hold out and hope for a compost to arrive that is not only peat free but which out-performs peat too.

I'm using what sounds like a similar mix, PM's "Soil Supreme". Annoyingly its peat based, but otherwise a lovely tilth-y compost that, given the right nutrients, performs very well and gives the roots an almost perfect medium to fill. But therein, I find, lies the problem. One has to discover the right nutrient mix to suit the plants. This is, I think, my fourth run with Soil Supreme and for the first time I feel I may have got it sussed!

Looking forward to your observations. We need threads like this, and a lot more of them! Thankyou. :notworthy:

I thought you said you were using the verve peat free and that it had given you the best crop to date?

@@Lobo great post mate.

Ive been running seeds and a mum in plagron light mix haven't fed them in month plus easy.Only in 3.5 l now....Just PM root stim.Green as sweet as. :yep:

Edited by icki

@@Mephitis

On closer inspection, my Verve turned out to contain peat. I think I mentioned this somewhere, but may have forgotten.....