The Random Thread

whats_luring

Hail stones here at the mo!

As soon as we get a couple of dry days here I'm off out checking new plots, collecting manure and turning over my best site.

I'm not leaving it to last minute like last year!

used a mattock today and got loads done a lot quicker its a must have tool imo.

Good luck to everyone this season lets hope for better weather

Bang on! The Mattock is the ultimate tool IMO. Breaks down to fit into a backpack, use the helve to clear the vegetation, the digging end makes short work of most ground conditions, especially heavy uncultivated soil, and the axe end can cut through most roots. And they're cheap from a builders merchants too!

Only problem: you're limited to single depth digging. Not that I've ever double-dug a gorrila plot....but for allotments/ vege gardens, they have their limits

You must be down south. Its like the fuckin Somme up here. Two of my prospective sites are under a few metres of flood water! And there's talk of snow coming.

Edited by marquee moon
  • Like 1

Guest kombatkevin

Bang on! The Mattock is the ultimate tool IMO. Breaks down to fit into a backpack, use the helve to clear the vegetation, the digging end makes short work of most ground conditions, especially heavy uncultivated soil, and the axe end can cut through most roots. And they're cheap from a builders merchants too!

Only problem: you're limited to single depth digging. Not that I've ever double-dug a gorrila plot....but for allotments/ vege gardens, they have their limits

You must be down south. Its like the fuckin Somme up here. Two of my prospective sites are under a few metres of flood water! And there's talk of snow coming.

Midlands here

It was the talk of snow next week that got me out. The sunshine was a bonus. Plus I had to try out my new tool.

Its great weather for scouting at the moment though, all this rain & mud is keeping the hordes tucked up in front of telly. :oldtoker:

• Like 3

The main problem with 2-3 months of non stop sogginess that I've still not got round to giving my little secret farms a good top dressing of leafmould as I'm not gonna be lugging wet leaves up mad slopes & through bushes. they've all had their doses of cowshit though :soap::yep:

• Like 2

@@inaction man I decided to cover my spots with chicken shit, calcified seaweed, charge and perlite at the end of last season, dug them over proper and left them for the winter under a leaf mulch, which is camoflaguing the spots nicely :)

Also means I can put my feet up in front of the telly...

It's a lovely sunny day here today, and I'm debating a stroll this afternoon to scope out a few spots I found on the old map :) Adding a couple of new strings to the bow isn't gonna hurt anyone but me lol

• Like 2

Guest Andromedian

Tools for Friday Andro... a mattock perhaps?

Mattock?? don't you mean pick axe?

yeah could be a good tool for gg.....i'll get hold of one from b and q

Mattock?? don't you mean pick axe?

yeah could be a good tool for gg.....i'll get hold of one from b and q

If you've got a tool station close, they sell 'em for £8, then you need to buy a helve as well.

Haha I realised I didn't actually know what a mattock is while I was typing it :) pick axe it is..

Either one ,they're a great tool . I have a few of each ,minus the handles ! There is some mattock's made from soft steel and they bend but if it's heavy youu can bend it back !

what about a hand auger too?

got to be better than the meteor sized holes you normally dig lol lol lol

Hahaha. .. you know me thoughts on holes. The bigger the better.

That doesn't quite apply in other worldly situations I might add.

• Like 2

Guest Andromedian

Hahaha. .. you know me thoughts on holes. The bigger the better.

That doesn't quite apply in other worldly situations I might add.

Like throwing a sausage up the high street lol lol lol

• Like 1

Its like a pick-axe with a big fat end like a curved wide blade, use for digging, and the other end is like a narrow headed axe. You use it the same as a pick-axe, swinging it over your head. Don't get a pick-axe however: they have narrow pointy ends and so don't turn over as much soil with each swing.

Getting a bit nerdy here, but you can also get a type of mattock with a 2 prong fork on one end instead of the axe. They're better for ripping out perrenial weed roots.

Also worth googling "digging hoe"

• Like 1