The Random Thread

whats_luring

@@RandyBoBandy they are awesome bro. My cat was making a lot of noise the other night and had found one and he wasn't happy lol. Moved it out back into some leaves. Reckon it probably came looking for the slugs ;) haven't seen them since I tore up my tomatoes in anger when the blight smashed them...

Have a google for a hedgehog rescue place near you Randy.

Hedgehogs are on the endangered species list in the UK now so it's always good to give the little fellas a bit of help if you can. After all, they're nature's gift to GG'ers with the amount of slugs they go through. .

• Like 2

Guest RandyBoBandy

SUMMER - Hedgehogs will usually have their first litter of babies in June. If you come across a nest, please try not to disturb anything and if in doubt, please contact us for advice. If a nest is discovered without a mother during the daytime, something has probably happened to her. If she does not return within a few hours, contact us for immediate help. If you find a baby hedgehog weighing under 250g out on its own at this time of year it will urgently need help - please contact us immediately.

just had a look out back and they have gone back to there nest, not sure where it is but i wouldnt touch them near there nest anyway.. im going to weigh one next time i see them.. and hope i dont freak them out and they go.. tho i think they are used to me as ive been feeding them... ill take the scales outside and make it quick..

if they are heavy enough ill feed them up for the rest of the month... if they are under then ill call them to pick them up.. once i have the weight ill phone them anyway, see if they wanna pick them up or for me to feed them through october

Edited by RandyBoBandy
  • Like 1

They'll need more than eggs to fatten them up though Randy. Cat food would be better but preferably the stuff you give to kittens. Spikes Dinner or meal worms from the pet shop will do a perfect job great but quite expensive and quite a commitment.

If the hedgehog charities round your way get fully booked up with them, you could always stick yours in a rabbit hutch inside a shed and feed them every day. I did that a couple of years ago with one. I might have to do the same with another one that comes to feed. We get 3 or 4 every night but one of them is a little un and he's definitely too small to get through winter.

e2a

Make sure you pick them up with a pair of gardening gloves. They're quite docile and won't bite. They'll just curl up.

Guest RandyBoBandy

yeah i read not to many eggs anyway... cat foods no problem and ill grab some hedgehog food... im gonna phone them anyway so im sure they will tell me exactly what to do... and if they are staying ill build a small iglu for them

Will tell my mates to stop with the dairy. I remember reading somewhere that hedgehogs and my be badgers drink from the udders of lactating cows when the cows are sleeping in the fields at night! lol

Just for your protection Randy. They can be really difficult to pick up without the gloves. There's no issue with smell. Once you put them down they'll either sit in a ball waiting for you to go or, will leg it under the nearest hedge. They're funny when they run. They're really fast and actually have really long legs lol

I went on a 'hedgehog survival course' a few years back to learn about them and how to look after them. We've got a couple of hedgehog houses in the garden and they're always occupied. It's nice being able to do a little bit for nature, however small it might appear to be.

• Like 1

Guest RandyBoBandy

Will tell my mates to stop with the dairy. I remember reading somewhere that hedgehogs and my be badgers drink from the udders of lactating cows when the cows are sleeping in the fields at night! lol

lmao no way

lol

Guest RandyBoBandy

Just for your protection Randy. They can be really difficult to pick up without the gloves. There's no issue with smell. Once you put them down they'll either sit in a ball waiting for you to go or, will leg it under the nearest hedge. They're funny when they run. They're really fast and actually have really long legs lol

I went on a 'hedgehog survival course' a few years back to learn about them and how to look after them. We've got a couple of hedgehog houses in the garden and they're always occupied. It's nice being able to do a little bit for nature, however small it might appear to be.

yeah i watched them tonight in the garden woddling fast around the pond... stopping and eating slugs on the way to the food... i can just sit there and they run around doing there thing.. they are funny little things, and super loud eaters

They were saying it may be a route for TB transmission. Dogs eat chocolate but it's bad for em. I drink beer and ...

They're the people who taught me, Loam! I remember the lady telling me the exact same thing about the fleas. She'd only seen 2 (at that time) with fleas.

I love the snorting noise they make especially when they're competing to get to the food bowl. They really do sound like pigs lol

• Like 1