The Random Thread

whats_luring

Are we talking about the black square meshed plastic cages, how do you guys find they pack down compared to chicken wire? can you get them in a smaller space and are they lighter?

Im considering converting my plots to a continuous perimeter fence to save faffing around with stakes and indevidual cages, I know it uses more wire but the time saved would make up for it and I could then plant where ever i want within it, much more tempting for late planted SOG for example.

No need for cable ties, just weave/ 'sew' the bamboo thru em. :yep:

can't do the weaving method with the gauge i use.. i know what you mean tho, I've done that with other materials in the past.

heres the stuff I'm on about....

cage

as you can see the bamboo is too big to fit through the holes with out being a right ballache ect.. also i find with most tree protector type stuff cable ties are quick and neat compared to the weaving method.

cage2

• Like 1

Are we talking about the black square meshed plastic cages, how do you guys find they pack down compared to chicken wire? can you get them in a smaller space and are they lighter?

the stuff i use packs down pretty well, i would say better than chicken wire, so yeah possibly get a few more in the same space i guess. . don't know about it being lighter tho lol

Im considering converting my plots to a continuous perimeter fence to save faffing around with stakes and indevidual cages, I know it uses more wire but the time saved would make up for it and I could then plant where ever i want within it, much more tempting for late planted SOG for example.

i have been thinking of doing the same at one of my plots this year.. i would definitely just use standard chicken wire for a perimeter fence tho.

• Like 1

Where else other than b&q can i get rockdust,,i got the last bag from one bq and the rest in my area have none :ranting:

Guest OutOfAfrica81

20kg bags on the bay for £16.99 and free postage . They do do smaller bags if needed

• Like 1

20kg bags on the bay for £16.99 and free postage . They do do smaller bags if needed

Cheers but id rather grab some tomorrow as this the the only thing holding me up for planting out

Cheers Amarillo, Im starting to think I have worked myself into a silly corner with the cages I have, using that green pvc coated wire and being just over an inch hole diameter I had issues with rabbits leaning on the fences and pulling the plants though and trimming them back to the stem. so I started to use more stakes to make the cages stiffer and now use 4 per cage, which is a right pain when they need replacing, a 10 plan plot needing me to cut 40 stakes! and if you were to scale up you fast lose the capacity to cary all those stakes!

By sticking with my cages I have given my self loads more work when actually what I need to do is get some stiffer smaller gauge cages and just cut one stake per plant! funny how you can miss the obvious for so long!

or maybe i just need to get some of that magic bunny deterrent you mention, I still cant quite believe it works and would be well nervous about leaving them all bare!

Cheers Amarillo, Im starting to think I have worked myself into a silly corner with the cages I have, using that green pvc coated wire and being just over an inch hole diameter I had issues with rabbits leaning on the fences and pulling the plants though and trimming them back to the stem. so I started to use more stakes to make the cages stiffer and now use 4 per cage, which is a right pain when they need replacing, a 10 plan plot needing me to cut 40 stakes! and if you were to scale up you fast lose the capacity to cary all those stakes!

By sticking with my cages I have given my self loads more work when actually what I need to do is get some stiffer smaller gauge cages and just cut one stake per plant! funny how you can miss the obvious for so long!

or maybe i just need to get some of that magic bunny deterrent you mention, I still cant quite believe it works and would be well nervous about leaving them all bare!

year i just use one stake with those, sometimes add a much smaller one on the opposite side for extra support at windy sites..

the magic deterrent does work,, i know what you mean tho, i normally use cages aswell just to be safe.. i will try to get some pics up of cageless plants in rabbit ridden sites later in the year.

• Like 1

Hows it going people its been ages since ive logged on i thought i was done with this getting on with life but no no no i got 12 little girls in the mud i cant wait for em to take off,its been so long i miss this forum i actually enjoy seing people do well with there plantations :)

Btw are them 2 crazy freaks of nature still going big.......ooh yea badpenny thats the one

• Like 5

Yep I thought you meant the black square netlok stuff.

yeah think i know the stuff you mean, does the job but i like the smaller gauge stuff as it also protects from other rodents which can kill young seedlings, but that rarely ever happens anyway tbh :)

Edited by Amarillo slim

I am shitting it now and its my own fault. I Read that there are auxins in Superthrive and in a fit of over self confidence watered alot of young seedlings with a mix of spring water, liquid seaweed feed and some root grow granules chucked in for good measure. Since doing it I have been reading that this may be a BAD idea

I have eatered with willow water before and its been cool. This time I added a half to whole teaspoonful glob of Baby Bio Roota gel ( NAA) to a 2 litre bottle of water. Anyone else done this before, should i go back and flush with water?

Edited by Loam Gnome

I am shitting it now and its my own fault. I Read that there are auxins in Superthrive and in a fit of over self confidence watered alot of young seedlings with a mix of spring water, liquid seaweed feed and some root grow granules chucked in for good measure. Since doing it I have been reading that this may be a BAD idea

I have eatered with willow water before and its been cool. This time I added a half to whole teaspoonful glob of Baby Bio Roota gel ( NAA) to a 2 litre bottle of water. Anyone else done this before, should i go back and flush with water?

im abit confused as too what you mean.. so have you just feed seedlings with some rooting gel in the water?