The Random Thread

whats_luring

@@attempt4, you are not on your own-got a pack of red purps soaking for approx 36 hours -all cracked,got a pack of swiss cheese soaking along side -no sign of life.Also got a few early grape in compost- 10mm under surface damped every day 3 up no sign of rest-I pre soaked them and they all cracked, so no dud seeds there-maybe compost problem?I usually do a couple of dutch strains Purple Marock mainly but done a fair variety this year and have noticed big diffrence in germination times across the strains.Ive had 100% germination with critical+2 and the free critical + which came with them were nowhere near as good.Ive heared on other forums experienced growers having to break the seed shells of to free the seedlings-some of these growers are also breeders so are no mugs.Up until this year I was getting maybe one dud out of a pack.

Okay better news today!
I just visited a plot and not only have I got more germinationz but even the afghan which is in nothing but the most coniferous-rich clay is thriving!

They just seem to be incredibly slow, these HFH seeds. I guess I was a little worried by the fact everybody else seems to get 1-2 days germination with HFH and I've been waiting for 13 days for some of these to germinate. Lo and behold, 13 days later, I've got a sign of life in a good few of them.

Things i've noticed:
Munk DEFINITELY germs the best and seems to really want to grow.
Wildsuper07, the strain i've been looking forward to the most, seems to barely germ and I'm still waiting on these tbh, which is annoying.
Leb27 seems to be slower on the uptake, but definitely germing and growing more successfully than WS07.

I wasnt expecting this Afghani regular (freebie from Herbies) to thrive so well in such raw clay! I just did it as an experiment...Clay has the rather peculiar, contrary constitution of being both acidic (thus restricting the uptake of nutrients) and rich in nutrients. I guess one could surmise they'd see problems coming later on in the growth when nutrients are needed, and ph is far too low...however one could also reasonably conclude that the extremely low pH should damage a seedling in it's most vulnerable state. Perhaps it just aint that acidic, and aint that hot (nutrient-wise...though I doubt this very much, as part of ancient highland woodlands, it's gonna be rich and acidic).

Any ideas? I'm considering fucking the idea of taking loads more compost there and just using whats there if it works out ok for the Afghani.

I am pretty damn sketchy about going back there after tonight though...which is a shame as it does seem so safe as its miles and miles and miles away from any form of civilization, in the middle of nowhere and totally secluded.
However, I felt kinda 'off'.....just had that feeling that someone was there, you know?
You can always tell the difference between paranoia and genuine intuition....so I heard a branch snapping very nearby (and if you knew this spot, you would know that nobody should be around. This is a safe bet, this spot....I've got to crawl through thorny shit, wade through a wee river and all sorts...) so I promptly panicked and stood quiet. I waited for 10 minutes, completely still, not a sound....
Another branch snaps... much closer this time.
I think "Keep calm, get my story straight, try and explain why there are flowerbeds, growbags, seedlings in a propagator... No bother....I just love to grow tomatoes in the hills of course!"
The person must be only 25 feet away, but I remain hidden, low to the ground, as silent as silent can be.
I wait there for half an hour, trying so hard to hear for anything. I could hear a couple of twigs snapping and mumbling! I wish I could describe how close this person/these people were, whilst i'm hidden behind a tree stump with my arse hanging out my mouth!
Eventually after half an hour of thinking "God how long am I gonna have to wait here!?" I notice the sounds stop after a while, quickly manage to find another way out whilst trying to be as quiet as possible and head for the hills!

I'm pretty certain nobody saw me, and it's an extremely difficult plot to access so your average dogwalker aint gonna just stumble on it, but damn! It's odd though....this is a random woodlands miles and miles and miles into the sticks...like, there isn't any houses for miles. It really is Nowhereville!
Part of me was almost considering leaving a note there incase someone finds it, just being upfront and saying "this is genuinely medicinal for a serious condition, please find it in your heart to leave it be :) " or something! Did briefly consider that when I was waiting there! Hahah

I'd carry on,but really scope out the area,check for the nearest footpaths,,if you've left an obvious trail any passerby might have a nose.Everywhere in the UK is owned by someone,private or public,so local knowledge is sometimes the key to success.

• Like 1

What are peoples thoughts on buying some frozen rats, spreading them around the very outer perimeter of your plots- as they rot over the summer nothing should want to come lose with so much death on the air. May well attract foxes and the like but all the FBB is well broken down so im not too worried about them digging shit up.

Pretty pointless really. The foxes will have eaten them by the time you've got home and if they haven't, the carrion will eat them the next day.

• Like 2

What are peoples thoughts on buying some frozen rats, spreading them around the very outer perimeter of your plots- as they rot over the summer nothing should want to come lose with so much death on the air. May well attract foxes and the like but all the FBB is well broken down so im not too worried about them digging shit up.

hows it going?.. haven't seen you on here for a while.. you planted out yet?.. as for the rats i think that if they don't get gobbled up by foxes and badgers then its a good idea.. i would be more interested in covering up the smell for passers by say at a patch next to a foot path than to scare away animals tho..

you could wrap them up in chicken wire and hang from a branch of a hedge/tree to stop animals from getting at them..

also dead rats absoluty fucking stink compared to other animals for some reason :lookaround:

@@Amarillo slim yeah im good man thanks just been away for a while trying to refocus on my actual life a bit- its all good for those of us that have this as their main gig, for the employed its fucking juggling man simple as :shutup:

Getting there though getting there, need to just suck it and take some chicken wire in- bamboo canes and twine, with the best will and intentions going, are a fucking pain in the ass fuck about :shock:

But yeah now i have a bit more than turned over soil to go and visit Im sure Il be far more motivated going forwards. Put all the prep in in march time so just check ups to see how they are doing, bit of husbandry/ amputation on some of the more vigorous local flora. Other than that the horn has sounded, Im down the straight and into the first corner. Game on.

No need to ask how your doing man its all there in that wonderful diary of yours- sending out some positive vibes though dude.

• Like 1

@@Amarillo slim yeah im good man thanks just been away for a while trying to refocus on my actual life a bit- its all good for those of us that have this as their main gig, for the employed its fucking juggling man simple as :shutup:

i know all about juggling mate lol I've been very lucky to have snippets of spare time over last few months, thats all about to change tho, soon I'm going to be up too my eyeballs in work and projects.. prob won't be able to be here for a while then :down:

o how i wish i could be one of those lucky enough to have this as their main gig.. i would be a very happy man :oldtoker:

Getting there though getting there, need to just suck it and take some chicken wire in- bamboo canes and twine, with the best will and intentions going, are a fucking pain in the ass fuck about :shock:

i know what you mean about making cages.. can be a right ball ache :russian: i haven't used chicken wire for a few years now, i find the tree protector material a lot easier to work with just bamboo and couple of cable ties, nice and simple ;)

----------

But yeah now i have a bit more than turned over soil to go and visit Im sure Il be far more motivated going forwards. Put all the prep in in march time so just check ups to see how they are doing, bit of husbandry/ amputation on some of the more vigorous local flora. Other than that the horn has sounded, Im down the straight and into the first corner. Game on.

No need to ask how your doing man its all there in that wonderful diary of yours- sending out some positive vibes though dude.

ah all planted nicely.. plain sailing from here then :yes: ... game on indeed :oldtoker:

cheers man glad you like the diary :yep: good vibes right back at ya :v:

• Like 1