The Random Thread

whats_luring

17 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I'd go for plastic, they hold the moisture in better, if summers anything like last year you'll be glad for it. 

Wouldn't the plastic barrier cut off the roots from local moisture? Better to use the fabric to act as a capillary after brief rains during summer.. Just my thoughts, but I'd never dig holes for pots, but chuck a mixed bag of compost and goodies and be done. Unless you plan on relocating them, why bother?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Wouldn't the plastic barrier cut off the roots from local moisture? Better to use the fabric to act as a capillary after brief rains during summer.. Just my thoughts, but I'd never dig holes for pots, but chuck a mixed bag of compost and goodies and be done. Unless you plan on relocating them, why bother?

I was thinking that myself the other day. When I took everything into consideration , I decided bottomless plastic pots would work well for my Auto plot. I know the ground retains good moisture anyway , I could have got away with no watering on the photos last year. But The Auto plot got raided by rabbits. So I figure the plastic pot adds an extra defense against them.

I'm gonna drill holes in half the pots under ground level and do a comparison with the undrilled ones. Both have bottoms removed.

• Like 2

Just now, Slippy One said:

I'd remove the sides too! :D  

Anyway we have wire mesh for rabbits now.. 

Mate these fookers beat the mesh twice. 

It was either I dig out 2 foot deep for the perimeter fence or rethink the plot. 

these will have a perimeter fence to a foot deep, pots for the roots and wire cage for the plant.

And a taxidermy fox if i can find one lol

plus i got 100+ pots free the other week 

Edited by CheechChongReturns
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Revive said:

Free food free weed ;)

Comfrey is brewing up nicely folks :yinyang:

I was wondering what that smell was! :yep:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Revive said:

Free food free weed ;)

Comfrey is brewing up nicely folks :yinyang:

large.20230422_104004_compress41.jpglarge.20230422_103901_compress62.jpg

I make mine in drain pile anthers a pop bottle on a sting to compress it into the pipe. Its a stronger consideration and smells a little better. That stuff stings :bad:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brock1 said:

I make mine in drain pile anthers a pop bottle on a sting to compress it into the pipe. Its a stronger consideration and smells a little better. That stuff stings :bad:

Yeah its a good way to do it brock and if I had the room I'd prob go with that, takes a lil longer to break down but is a lil more concentrated and the bonus as you say no water no stink.. tbh having a copper next door I welcome the smell to mask all the bangers I smoke lol

Could be a good way to mask canna plants in a garden grow too having that stench kicking up..smells like a fuking farmyard instead :yep:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Revive said:

Yeah its a good way to do it brock and if I had the room I'd prob go with that, takes a lil longer to break down but is a lil more concentrated and the bonus as you say no water no stink.. tbh having a copper next door I welcome the smell to mask all the bangers I smoke lol

Could be a good way to mask canna plants in a garden grow too having that stench kicking up..smells like a fuking farmyard instead :yep:

Sweet peas have always been my go to for hiding scents. The scented varieties can really stink.

• Like 3

Finally some green cover so I can go to work..

Went for a check and while there made a small start.. just getting the wheels in motion and so it begins.. pulled out last season rootballs all had practically broken down aside from 4/5inches, pulled out the buckets and turned some soil, looks lovely and teaming with worms.. makes easy work for me but its taken a few seasons to get it like this..

large.20230422_203600_compress41.jpglarge.20230422_203554_compress40.jpglarge.20230422_203535_compress1.jpglarge.20230422_203612_compress41.jpg

• Like 8

@Revive

hey bud, did you know that’s Japanese knotweed growing around your plot?

probably great for cover, but you don’t want to accidentally take any home!!! 

• Like 1

Just now, Dreamer420 said:

@Revive

hey bud, did you know that’s Japanese knotweed growing around your plot?

probably great for cover, but you don’t want to accidentally take any home!!! 

Yes mate its the JKW that makes it possible this place, been here years now so all good my friend.. very easy to work around provides great cover and good for building barriers with last years dry spears.. and have you tried eating it :)

Bit of sugar on those baby shoots and its tasty as fuk very sim to rhubarb..this shit is my friend and as I live in a tower block its not an issue bringing it home :yep:

Well spotted dude and thanks for the heads up

• Like 5