The Random Thread

whats_luring

That's the beauty of this site really- helps prevent that constant cycle an let's us newbies progress on from your mistakes, thanks for the lime pointer i'l get on it pronto. Jus some guy said he near covered the surface till he couldn't see the soil before turning it in an his loved it, prob minus all that Chicken shit though... Might try just diluting it a little with some potting/ seedling soil just to be safe.

• Like 2

That's the beauty of this site really- helps prevent that constant cycle an let's us newbies progress on from your mistakes, thanks for the lime pointer i'l get on it pronto. Jus some guy said he near covered the surface till he couldn't see the soil before turning it in an his loved it, prob minus all that Chicken shit though... Might try just diluting it a little with some potting/ seedling soil just to be safe.

I'm a big believer in learning through doing, it may work it may not. My word is far from the gospel, i'm just telling you what happened to me. Others may have used loads and has been fine, you may do fine.

I have no evidence other than my own experience.

:oldtoker:

Either way, hope it goes well for you.

Edited by iamafunkimunki
  • Like 1

Lat 55, more north than @. May plant out? Germing Indoors and planting straight out with cloches? Ok method or......? Shadow

@@Woodland Greenback

Just to be clear I meant, No don't add lime. The two things should imo be done separately for big doses but again its only my opinion.

I found i quite beneficial to watch a couple of documentaries on soil and read a few gardners world type things. A bit grandadish but it helped me grasp what prepping soil actually requires and generally its not massive amounts of feed..

I've probably said this before but if you have what looks like good soil, chances are it needs little other than a general purpose feed in moderate doses and a light lime to help stabilise the soil as the feed you add breaks down. If you use dolomite lime it will also add calcium I think and tends to be useful for longer than standard garden lime, at the detriment of the time it takes to take effect though..

Think about it logically, if the soil supports lush growth when you get there it already has a good balance of what you need for growth and flower in most cases. All you need to do is supplement what your plants will take out as the season and your plants progress. Canna plants are quite heavy feeders in comparison to some i guess so increasing feed levels can be beneficial to yields but it has to be done while still maintaining the right balance. Throwing massive amounts of feed is going to change the existing soil drastically and not always for the better as it causes massive spikes in certain nutrients, sour your soil, make the soil very hot for small roots and make ph swing wildly. To go all hippy on you, in short feed the soil not the plant has been my most successful method.

I have seen and grown massive plants grown in contradiction to most of my experience so its swings and roundabouts imo

Edited by iamafunkimunki
  • Like 2

Guest spike_weed

Lat 55, more north than @. May plant out? Germing Indoors and planting straight out with cloches? Ok method or......? Shadow

Do it now pal, and plant the 30day+seedlings in the ground come May

• Like 2

I can't have any plants in the house mate :( not even seedlings the missus has put her foot down lol. I was thinking the soil will be warm enough in may to just plant the germed seeds straight into the ground? Just the taproot showing I mean. Shadow

Guest spike_weed

I can't have any plants in the house mate :( not even seedlings the missus has put her foot down lol. I was thinking the soil will be warm enough in may to just plant the germed seeds straight into the ground? Just the taproot showing I mean. Shadow

Haha pal, i meant for you to germinate them at home get tap root then add them in the mgh at the plots in small pots like i'm doing.

It's working a treat.

Don't think me mrs would want these in the house as well.

med_gallery_79779_10347_191177.jpg

• Like 8

I've probably said this before but if you have what looks like good soil, chances are it needs little other than a general purpose feed in moderate doses and a light lime to help stabilise the soil as the feed you add breaks down. If you use dolomite lime it will also add calcium I think and tends to be useful for longer than standard garden lime, at the detriment of the time it takes to take effect though..

Think about it logically, if the soil supports lush growth when you get there it already has a good balance of what you need for growth and flower in most cases. All you need to do is supplement what your plants will take out as the season and your plants progress. Canna plants are quite heavy feeders in comparison to some i guess so increasing feed levels can be beneficial to yields but it has to be done while still maintaining the right balance. Throwing massive amounts of feed is going to change the existing soil drastically and not always for the better as it causes massive spikes in certain nutrients, sour your soil, make the soil very hot for small roots and make ph swing wildly. To go all hippy on you, in short feed the soil not the plant has been my most successful method.

I have seen and grown massive plants grown in contradiction to most of my experience so its swings and roundabouts imo

I have read alot on soil and the bacteria present, I never stop reading drives the Mrs crazy, I'l just put it down a slight rush of blood an some good old inexperience :)

Is there anything you would advise particularly other than just walk away an leave it the fuck alone for a couple months?

• Like 1

Any one ordered from seedhvn I was going to order some might freeze but don't know how long they take to come and did u recieve your pips ok

• Like 1

I have read alot on soil and the bacteria present, I never stop reading drives the Mrs crazy, I'l just put it down a slight rush of blood an some good old inexperience :)

Is there anything you would advise particularly other than just walk away an leave it the fuck alone for a couple months?

Not really much to be done tbh mate, whats done is done so either just go with it and use them or move along and start again.

I would be tempted to plant them anyway, just to see. I would also maybe dig 1 or two more holes and use less feed, lots less. You can use this as a comparison between heavy fed plant and normally fed plant to weigh up any benefits or detrimental effects.

• Like 1

just to warn you all I'm about to go on abit here, just giving my opinion and some info on some things :)..

All god growers know that its not in the 'growing' its all in the prep, really if you want to get good yields the main thing you need to be good at is prepping.. after that its just chucking in a seedling putting a cage on it and whalla loads of buds come autumn, the plants grow themselves as they're perfectly designed to, the main difference the 'grower' makes is putting them in the right place (sun, security) and making sure the soils good , funki has hit the nail on the head with saying feed the soil not the plant, and sometimes less is more. in terms of amounts of ferts tho (I'm the one who adds shitloads of ffb and chicken shit), i have tried many different types and amounts over the years with varying results, but i remember realising at a very young age growing up with plants and around farms that often were a farmer had dumped a pile of manure and forgotten about it the nettles grew HUGE!! - i mean like jack and the been stalk shit.. or that were the neighbours chucked their wood ash, rabbit hutch shit etc these accidentally fed brambles would all out grow the surrounding plants and produce massive fruits in comparison. now, when you think of growing different vegtables, all of them benefit from fertile soil, but some like beetroot or carrots don't like loads of feed and can benefit from a certain amount of less is more type feeding, were as pumpkins or courgettes just can't get enough of it, - plant a pumpkin into a big pile of rotted manure and it get f*&king massive.

I've come to the conclusion that cannabis (especially modern production strains- skunks etc) are like nettles and pumpkins.. as long as it has time to break down then they will only benefit from increased amounts of organic matter and nutrients. this is just my personal opinion from what I've observed and practiced. when prepping last year i completely covered the soil in fbb and chicken pellets intil i couldn't see the ground at one spot, planted a seedling in there mid julyish expecting a small maybe 2-3 oz plant come october and ended up with a 10oz+ monster, i prepped a patch the other week and used 2\3s a tub of fbb, enough composted chicken manure for 45-50 sqmtrs (according to the bag), 80L worm casts and 100Ls compost plus other amendments (bat guano,rock dust,cal-sea-feed,perlite etc) -- all that just for one plant in a 5-6ish sqmtr bed, will be interesting to see how the plant reacts, and the results come oct ;). from my point of view, with organics more is better (within reason), just beware of burning that can occur from using too much too late, and possible ph and soil altering effects as funki has said. also i am representing an extreme here, you can, and with most of my plants i do, get good results from using a moderate amount of feed.

hope some one can find some useful info out of that massive page of rattling on :rofl::thumsup:

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 3