The Random Thread

whats_luring

On 07/12/2020 at 2:57 PM, Ch@ppers said:

First published in 1978 as A guide to growing marijuana in the British Isles and other cool climes. large.Screenshot_20201207_144731.jpg

Ch@ppers.....Brilliant.... I was given a photocopy of this book in 1984. I had to photocopy it and return the photocopied book back. I’ve never seen it in colour !!! I shit my pants when I scrolled onto your post. Ahhh fond memories. I read it avidly at the time. I did have a go but it was using bag seed from the frontline at Sandringham Road Stoke Newington from the Jamaican boys. Obviously it didn’t come to anything but it did spark something inside me. By the early 90’s the first of the acclimatised seeds we’re coming onto the market from the early Dutch breeder pioneers. 
All this before the internet when you couldn’t be spoon fed with information and had to figure it out for yourself and the country wasn’t being dug up to build houses. 

• Like 7

Very interesting seeing these old guides and books. First I heard of uk GG was from a very well seasoned traveller in Nepal who’d grown in “nettle patches”. I sent a load of seeds home by post to a friend and returned the next summer to find loads of massive Nepali land race sativas in folks gardens and in windowsills - none of which got near to finishing. My first attempt was the summer afterwards which was with ruderslis indica - shit smoke but okay edibles I seem to remember. Imagine where we’ll be in another 20 years ! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Clean Green said:

Very interesting seeing these old guides and books. First I heard of uk GG was from a very well seasoned traveller in Nepal who’d grown in “nettle patches”. I sent a load of seeds home by post to a friend and returned the next summer to find loads of massive Nepali land race sativas in folks gardens and in windowsills - none of which got near to finishing. My first attempt was the summer afterwards which was with ruderslis indica - shit smoke but okay edibles I seem to remember. Imagine where we’ll be in another 20 years ! 

Just realised, I forgot to add that this was millennium - 2002 ish. Vaped some nicely cured green-gold earlier and it’s a lovely taste and high. Tastes like sour grape mixed with a kind of chalky fresh cleanness. Fuck I love cured organic outdoor through a freshly cleaned vape. Shows how far things have come over that past couple of decades 

Edited by Clean Green
  • Like 5

On 12/7/2020 at 2:57 PM, Ch@ppers said:

First published in 1978 as A guide to growing marijuana in the British Isles and other cool climes. large.Screenshot_20201207_144731.jpg

I managed to find a copy and get it ordered. The kiss of the sun arrived a couple of days ago too. Only had a flick through but it looks good. Good condition for a 2000 reprint too. Got a couple of other on topic books on order, 'beyond buds, next generation' by ed Rosenthal. Basically about extraction.. also 'marijuana chemistry, genetics, processing and potency' by Michael Starks. I'll let people kno if they're any good.. the book I really wanted to order tho was 'hemp, diseases and pests. Management and biological control.' By John McPartland & Robert Clarke & Davi.. it's quite pricey at 75 quid second hand but everything I've read about it says it's very thorough. Food for thought.. peace

• Like 5

On 8-12-2020 at 1:00 PM, ratdog said:

i've only ever had one rot, budrot, botrytis

mildew is totally different, don't know any other molds that cause actual budrot like botrytis does

I agree that it seems pretty clear botrytis is the main worry, but still, technically there could be some other minor bud rots. 

for example this report from canada identified penicilium bud rot and fusarium bud rot besides botrytis bud rot.

botrytis is still the main one identified, and botrytis is also the one that can fastest kill a plant.

but still, it cannot be excluded that in some cases that you see bud rot you're looking at a different fungus. (although if it gets far enough that you see the spores, it should be pretty clear that you're dealing with botrytis)

although to be fair, those other fungi do seem to give a bit different symptoms, eventhough you could still describe it with the word 'bud rot'

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2019.01120/full

fpls-10-01120-g005.jpg

here they innoculated fungi they isolated onto buds, top row is botrytis cinerea, middle is fusarium oxysporum, and bottom is penicillium olsonii

and even if you can visually identify it as botrytis, it's still not sure if you're looking at botrytis cinerea, or another botrytis species that visually looks very similar:

https://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/PDIS-01-20-0055-PDN

in other words, for most practical purposes I agree with just focussing on botrytis, but still it's good to, if possible legally, do a bit of a survey and gather some samples across different locations and years to really get to the bottom of it. 

• Like 3

On 07/12/2020 at 2:57 PM, Ch@ppers said:

Cracking book this i love it here's my well thumbed copy. I remember applying the methods therein to thai and african seeds at 55 north.lol

large.80695166_512743122702501_7326148698987343586_n(1).jpg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Dr feelgood said:

. I remember applying the methods therein to thai and african seeds at 55 north.lol

Have they finished yet :unsure: 

• Like 8

Me and brother had a copy of the don Irving book. We had mail order Northern Lights seeds, Skunk no1 from Holland at the time. 1996 I think.

That was when Northern Lights was the real deal.

• Like 4

On 13/12/2020 at 11:48 PM, Ccs141 said:

need getme some of these books Xmas pressie to myself I thinks

Would this be to learn how to grow hemp for clothes rope etc