The Random Thread

whats_luring

You got me :shutup:

Don't think i've got any pics, that one in pot is 28mm internal pipe and i can assure you it would have needed at least 3 of those pieces to form a full ring around it.

Off to check my gallery :wacko: Don't think i've got many stem shots though.

I'm doing a sweet seeds grow indoors after having to move to be able to start it but decided to try out these strains outdoors this year which should arrive in the next week - HFH leb27 (the new version 2 aka v2) and HFH hashplant 2 (26 regular seeds total). What do rather do yourself - veg the plants inside and then use the genefinder method to grow out cuttings from the females outdoors or plant the seedlings in the ground outdoors and when they're large enough, cull the males after using the genefinder method to root them out when the plants are big enough ?

Not sure what this genefinder thing is but usual drill germ at home few weeks under light or windowsill / polytunnel etc and then plant out. Kill males as required. Fingers crossed then for harvest.

I've done HP2 myself this year and others have done Leb 27, my HP2 showed sex at 4 weeks indoors under 18hrs of light, leb 27 will auto if kept inside. I don't think these strains can be cloned. Not tried to clone them myself it's just a semi auto trait.

Only one way to find out, let me know if it works as i'd love to keep a HP2 mother. The smell is gorgeous.

Thanks for the input HKB. Surely that's not the case though? Semi autos like the type from female seeds and the new generation of strains from Sweet Seeds definitely can be cloned IME. I might be wrong though but I thought these simply just flower earlier under a longer daylength, making them suitable for more northern latitudes.

In any case I'll let you know if it works because I probably will want a bonsai mum for next year. The reviews seem amazing!

I just was worried if I went through the process of cloning the females it might not give me enough time to grow them out whereas if I just let the plants grow out outdoors and culled the males they would be larger. However as we all know, in outdoor grows having half your space occupied by males that will ultimately be killed is really inconvenient. I didn't know which method to chose.

Edited by Artificial Emotion

Not sure what this genefinder thing is but usual drill germ at home few weeks under light or windowsill / polytunnel etc and then plant out. Kill males as required. Fingers crossed then for harvest.

The genefinder method involves taking cuttings from your plants and putting them under 12/12. You can sex the cuttings before the main plant the cuttings were taken from naturally shows its sex, allowing you to cull the males earlier than you would be able to otherwise.

You got me :shutup:

Don't think i've got any pics, that one in pot is 28mm internal pipe and i can assure you it would have needed at least 3 of those pieces to form a full ring around it.

Off to check my gallery :wacko: Don't think i've got many stem shots though.

So it was bigger than a standard aerosol can? Bigger circumference...

Go grab a can.....

Anyway If it starts to become an issue i will lift up stem to smaller bit and cable tie but I am pretty confident my plants are not over 54mm wide.

Grab me a piccy this year.

• Like 1

Gene finder method is when you drop light hours for 3/4 days to induce early flowering then put plants back to normal veg hours. They usually show sex a few days after stint of extended dark periods. I don't think it works to well with danish/ northern strains as they tend to stay in flower once they start.

Some people say that once plant has been through gene finder method it is reluctant to re flower and usually starts later.

I've used it myself with dutch strains, some cope, some behave strangley when they re veg.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input HKB. Surely that's not the case though? Semi autos like the type from female seeds and the new generation of strains from Sweet Seeds definitely can be cloned IME. I might be wrong though but I thought these simply just flower earlier under a longer daylength, making them suitable for more northern latitudes.

In any case I'll let you know if it works because I probably will want a bonsai mum for next year. The reviews seem amazing!

I just was worried if I went through the process of cloning the females it might not give me enough time to grow them out whereas if I just let the plants grow out outdoors and culled the males they would be larger. However as we all know, in outdoor grows having half your space occupied by males that will ultimately be killed is really inconvenient. I didn't know which method to chose.

I agree some can be cloned, but as a general rule the danish strains don't seem to like it. Let me know if your successful.

Gene finder method is when you drop light hours for 3/4 days to induce early flowering then put plants back to normal veg hours. They usually show sex a few days after stint of extended dark periods. I don't think it works to well with danish/ northern strains as they tend to stay in flower once they start.

Some people say that once plant has been through gene finder method it is reluctant to re flower and usually starts later.

I've used it myself with dutch strains, some cope, some behave strangley when they re veg.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but what I meant was putting cuttings under 12/12 rather than the plant itself which is what I mean when I refer to the genefinder method. It's usually better to do this than to force flower your plant before its ready. This allows you to see the sex before your plant shows male or female pre-flowers. Sorry I should have been clearer.

Edited by Artificial Emotion

Used those last year @@Elephant Face I split mine so that stem could swell and not get restricted ( i used 1" diameter pipe )

You can see pipe at base, had to lever the one piece of her as it'd started to grow around the tube.

This year i'm using 4" diameter plastic pipe with 2 strips of copper tape, seems to be working, but i've heard a few people say they don't work.

As it stands my slug defense this year is blue pellets around bed or base of pot, ring of wool pellets around inside of cage and a copper ring over plant.

Over kill probably, plants without damage, i should hope so ;)

Copper is only really good imo until it gets an oxidised coating then unless its polished up again loses its ability to deter the slugs as easily but I guess by that time the plants are big enough to hold there own against the slugs. I've seen slugs climbing over copper pipe and tape in a variety of guises and heights some with added pointy bits and some without.

I used to use bands of pipe or taped up tubes but gave up as my plant numbers went up. I've lost none to slugs since stopping any methods of protection on my grows.

• Like 4

I hope you don't mind me saying, but what I meant was putting cuttings under 12/12 rather than the plant itself which is what I mean when I refer to the genefinder method. It's usually better to do this than to force flower your plant before its ready. This allows you to see the sex before your plant shows male or female pre-flowers. Sorry I should have been clearer.

No problem at all :yep: I've heard of both methods, the one i described is what i know as the gene finder method.

I've tried the cuttings method also, but found it very slow as the cuttings didn't show sex until they had rooted so took more than 2 weeks, the other method only takes a week or so.

I've read the cuts will show sex without roots even showing sex if just put into a glass of water and given extended dark period. This didn't work for me with the 2 strains i showed. In fact the parent plant showed sex naturally before the cuts did :rofl:

Copper is only really good imo until it gets an oxidised coating then unless its polished up again loses its ability to deter the slugs as easily but I guess by that time the plants are big enough to hold there own against the slugs. I've seen slugs climbing over copper pipe and tape in a variety of guises and heights some with added pointy bits and some without.

I used to use bands of pipe or taped up tubes but gave up as my plant numbers went up. I've lost none to slugs since stopping any methods of protection on my grows.

I just haven't got the faith to not protect my plants, i've had them damaged when they are of a decent size and protection had washed away/gone.

The slugs round here have got saddles on them and your only chance of escape when confronted by one is to throw lettuces at them whilst you run, so i'm on a personal vendetta against them.

• Like 3

I've done HP2 myself this year and others have done Leb 27, my HP2 showed sex at 4 weeks indoors under 18hrs of light, leb 27 will auto if kept inside. I don't think these strains can be cloned.

Alright mate,

Yeah Leb doesn't really respond well to cloning does it mate. I have got a couple out so I will keep my fingers crossed for them.

I think I'll probably just end up trying both methods and see what works empirically.

Do you guys know how leb27 compares to leb27 v2 or is the v2 version too new to say?

HongKonBluey I'm just curious, what was the HP2 bag appeal like?

Gotta admit im failing this year saw a bigger picture lost my intence love for weed & dont smoke it alot anymore but it aint gonna stop me gardening,

So ive done a late one but ordered quite a few :sly: