The Random Thread

whats_luring

On slug pellets, Joolz mentioned some, wool ones he'd had succes with in his salad crop I think....Not had time to investigate yet.

I've been using them in my garden and on plots, half decent rain shower and they wash away. Put them on top of my chilli pots in the green house and the slugs didn't even slow down to inspect them. £5 a kilo and a waste of time.

I've been using them in my garden and on plots, half decent rain shower and they wash away. Put them on top of my chilli pots in the green house and the slugs didn't even slow down to inspect them. £5 a kilo and a waste of time.

that's weird, are they the same ones ?

I put these down just over a month ago, its pissed down steadily pretty much every day since, far from wash away they actually swell up and make the defence even stronger

gallery_2_4418_136205.jpg

gallery_2_4418_143435.jpg

I didn't pay a fiver for them either, was 3.99 iirc

I used to use the so called organic pet safe one but they aren't any more which is why I gave these a go and as you can see, no slug damage

• Like 4

Used those last year @@Elephant Face I split mine so that stem could swell and not get restricted ( i used 1" diameter pipe )

You can see pipe at base, had to lever the one piece of her as it'd started to grow around the tube.

This year i'm using 4" diameter plastic pipe with 2 strips of copper tape, seems to be working, but i've heard a few people say they don't work.

As it stands my slug defense this year is blue pellets around bed or base of pot, ring of wool pellets around inside of cage and a copper ring over plant.

Over kill probably, plants without damage, i should hope so ;)

• Like 1

Yer if using 1 inch you would need to cut it like i used to, but using 54mm as in my picture think should be ok.

Where did you get them from? used 2 types one is the wilko's in white plastic bags and another in a green bag with all the organic logos (these were the ones that were a fiver and are shite)

They did swell up but slugs went straight over them, I've had damage on tomatoes, strawberry's, peas and chilli's (had to put copper collars onto chilli's)

Don't know if the wilko's ones are fairing any better as these have gone onto plants that haven't been checked yet.

Where did you get them from?

They are called Slug Gone and I got them from my local garden centre

blurb says

This environmentally friendly way of protecting your flowers, plants, fruit and vegetables from slugs and snails also helps to retain soil moisture.

Available in 1Litre, 3.5Litre and 10Litre tubs (out of stock till 6th June) depending on the size of area you are looking to protect, Slug Gone is an easy and simple to use way to protect your plants.

• Organic Slug Control
  • Pure wool pellets also add nutients to the soil
  • Acts as a mulch to supress weeds and retain moisture
  • Biodegrades over 6 to 14 months, releasing organic nutrients
  • Protects and enriches soil
  • Ideal for flower beds, container pots and hanging baskets

They are called Slug Gone and I got them from my local garden centre

blurb says

Can't check the packet as i'm not home. Sounds like the same ones in a bright green resealable bag.

Maybe the slugs are more robust/hungrier around here. Also will be having words with the garden center i got them from greedy money grabber.

Yer if using 1 inch you would need to cut it like i used to, but using 54mm as in my picture think should be ok.

54mm is 2 " internal isn't it? Personally i think that might be a bit tight.

Copper naturally restricts plant growth so i'd be reluctant to let it touch them if can be helped. ( he says having described prizing pipe of stem last year :rofl: )

• Like 1

Its always a bit bigger than you think mate ;)

54mm will be fine i reckon, your stem in picture is no where near 54mm imo

Edited by Elephant Face

I'm doing a sweet seeds grow indoors after having to move to be able to start it but decided to try out these strains outdoors this year which should arrive in the next week - HFH leb27 (the new version 2 aka v2) and HFH hashplant 2 (26 regular seeds total). What do rather do yourself - veg the plants inside and then use the genefinder method to grow out cuttings from the females outdoors or plant the seedlings in the ground outdoors and when they're large enough, cull the males after using the genefinder method to root them out when the plants are big enough ?

Edited by Artificial Emotion

It's not far off and thats a pot grown plant. Definately had a few bigger stems on soil grown plants.

Just a personal preference, i respect your experience EF your a skilled grower i'd just split it if it was me to late when it's on the plant and you realise it's to small.

• Like 1

I'm doing a sweet seeds grow indoors after having to move to be able to start it but decided to try out these strains outdoors this year would should arrive in the next week - HFH leb27 v2 and HFH hashplant 2 (26 regular seeds total). What do rather do yourself - veg the plants inside and then use the genefinder method to grow out cuttings from the females outdoors or plant the seedlings in the ground outdoors and when they're large enough, cull the males after using the genefinder method on the plants to root them out when they're big enough ?

I've done HP2 myself this year and others have done Leb 27, my HP2 showed sex at 4 weeks indoors under 18hrs of light, leb 27 will auto if kept inside. I don't think these strains can be cloned. Not tried to clone them myself it's just a semi auto trait.

Only one way to find out, let me know if it works as i'd love to keep a HP2 mother. The smell is gorgeous.

It's not far off and thats a pot grown plant. Definately had a few bigger stems on soil grown plants.

Just a personal preference, i respect your experience EF your a skilled grower i'd just split it if it was me to late when it's on the plant and you realise it's to small.

Its just over 2 inch is same size as aerosol can.

Picture with tape measure or it didn't happen. Grab a aerosol can, butane refill etc to give you feel of size.

Only playing. ;) But pictures would be great.

Edited by Elephant Face
  • Like 1