The Random Thread

whats_luring

Sorry to hear that @Eelhelmet , with the mould losses I’ve had this year a rip would have done me in. Let’s hope the little shits don’t have a scooby and can’t process it properly. More than likely they’ll end up with something worthless moulding away in a Tesco carrier bag. Not good for you to hear after your hard work but very likely as it’s prolly kids who haven’t a place to dry. 

Its getting harder to find spots to do bigger stands as this country becomes full up with more and more people traipsing around the countryside. I’m considering doing odd singles in random locations for next season. Kind of plant and leaves with S6 or similar. 

Hope you’ve still got plenty of jars lined up to tide you over. 

• Like 4

Yea i reckon more and more people are becoming aware of it being able to be done outdoors now. We're only a small fucking island too lol . Would be a right nightmare if all smokers started guerilla growing imo. The newspapers don't help either IMHO by making articles of found grows. Really sorry to hear mate, must have been devastating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eelhelmet said:

Sheite!! Went to chop at a plot and was greeted by a load of bare stems. 

Whoever had been there took scissors, probably took 20-30 oz.

Hope it goes mouldy on the cunts while drying :D

Hehe fuknuts 

fucking hell, i been ripped this season of a few autos in sack's and felt wounded knowing the auto's were fully cooked & not a spec of mould on them.. :thumbdown: laughed it off a few days after. 20-30 oz though.. :bad:

• Like 2

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should chop my most advanced KKfv tomorrow (or Tuesday)? Looks like constant, significant rain will hit on Wednesday and return every day till the end of the week.

I don't know how far along the main KK is, but it has flowered pretty fast and looked really good and dense and sticky, if not ready, when I checked on Thursday. My guess is that it might be 5 weeks in, but if anyone can estimate the age when the photos below were taken, that would help. It has looked really good and clean so far, but I have removed a couple of small buds and other specks of mould, so I can't imagine it will fare well amidst the heavy rains at the end of the week. I will probably be in a position to shake the plants daily, however, if that makes any difference.

In any case, I am optimistically estimating that it was 2 weeks into flower when the photos below were taken 3 weeks ago, making for a total of 5 weeks old now. So kinda decent, but not exactly finished. I will post an updated photo when I can. I have two that are well behind, so those will stay out regardless, but it is probably unwise to expect those to get better weather and ripen further than this one.

Thoughts?

large.59e3f2efc285e_KK1Bud.jpglarge.59e3f2ee4bb4b_KKearlyflower2.jpglarge.59e3f2ec3ec7e_KKearlyflower.jpg

Obviously if those are 3 week buds, which I doubt, then it is 6 weeks now and I'll probably just chop...

They look good for 2/3 weeks mate. No way of really telling what they'll be like now though tbh

Edited by indicatoker420
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, indicatoker420 said:

They look good for 2/3 weeks mate. No way of really telling what they'll be like now though tbh

I'll go today and get fresh photos, which should help. 

Another question: the humidity in my drying area is over 70% currently, as this is the humidity outside I guess. Short of getting a dehumidifier, are there any other tricks to keep it down. I've thinking of getting the fan blowing on them a bit more directly to compensate. Also wondering how many of those passive dehumidifiers would be needed to make a significant difference, i.e. those plastic trays filled with calcium carbonate. I have one currently.

@Spliffman100 there is some really good info in the outdoor drying thread about using silica gel for drying. Silica gel or calcium carbonate will only really work if you at least semi seal the drying area

4 hours ago, Mr blue said:

@Spliffman100 there is some really good info in the outdoor drying thread about using silica gel for drying. Silica gel or calcium carbonate will only really work if you at least semi seal the drying area

I'll look for that, thanks.

Right, so photos are below of my KKFV. While there are a few spots and certain buds where some pistils are beginning to turn orange, mostly pistils are white, and I estimate it to be maybe just past 5 weeks into flower. So I'm guessing it needs another two weeks to be properly ripe. But with significant rain on the way from tomorrow night, and a couple of spots of rot each time I go, should I just chop tomorrow?

Currently I'm thinking I will regretfully take the main cola and others that look good, and leave the lower and the less dense buds - then I'll go every day to shake it (and the others) off and remove spots of mould.

Anyone have experience with such early KK? How badly will it affect the smoke / size, assuming I dry and cure it well?

large.59e4ffa631075_KK11.jpglarge.59e4ffa7e536b_KK12.jpglarge.59e4ffa9f181a_KK13.jpglarge.59e4ffab7e947_KK14.jpglarge.59e4ffad012ee_KK15.jpg

Also worth noting that I have even less confidence in the other two finishing well now. The second one has more spots of rot on its leaves than the first, despite being much less dense and a couple of weeks behind. The first one is clearly a different phenotype. Slightly darker and possibly wider leaves, faster all the way along, and red stems. The other two KKs have green stems.

The second one, which I suspect there is no point in harvesting yet?:

large.59e4ffae3fdf9_KK21.jpg

Oh also, I forgot to take my loupe today, but I will have it tomorrow. If I find a significant portion of transparent trichomes, is it not worth harvesting, regardless of incoming rain?

Thanks for the help...

• Like 3

Looks absolutely nothing like either of the 2 KKFV's I have grown out. There must be quite a bit of pheno variation. She still looks nice and frosty and a bit of purple is always a positive :yep:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Sheriff of Nottingham said:

Looks absolutely nothing like either of the 2 KKFV's I have grown out. There must be quite a bit of pheno variation. She still looks nice and frosty and a bit of purple is always a positive :yep:

Interesting. Mine don't even look like each other. The fastest one has darker leaves, red stems all over, the most purpling on top, slightly wider leaves, and seems pretty mould resistant. The other two have all green stems and were slower. The third one is taller and less leafy. The second one isn't doing so well with rot and has the narrowest leaves. 

They all smell related, if different though. Coffee with a citrus twist. The third one a bit different, like some sort of varnish.

Would you chop the one above, ahead of a wet week?

Nobody want to weigh in? Must I really take responsibility for my own harvesting decisions?

Been looking at the weather and wondering if I'll go back, make sure they're mould free, dab any cut points with alcohol to kill mould (my hygiene was horrible last time, as I somehow forgot to take scissors, and had to pull the rot off with my hand.....), and then just leave till at least Thursday or Friday, with shaking every day to dry them out. There seems to be a possibility of not too much rain before the weekend, so I'm thinking of risking it...

@Spliffman100 if the forecast in your area is anything like mine and is looking like showers and rain for the next couple weeks then yeah I would cut the tops off to salvage something and push the popcorn buds as much as you can.. you could push the whole plant further but with cloudy days ahead they aren't going to pack on much size now you'll probably just find the trichomes will develop a bit more. The tops will dry small and leafy judging by them but I'm sure they will still get you high :yep: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 80085 said:

@Spliffman100 if the forecast in your area is anything like mine and is looking like showers and rain for the next couple weeks then yeah I would cut the tops off to salvage something and push the popcorn buds as much as you can.. you could push the whole plant further but with cloudy days ahead they aren't going to pack on much size now you'll probably just find the trichomes will develop a bit more. The tops will dry small and leafy judging by them but I'm sure they will still get you high :yep: 

Thanks. Ultimately I went and harvested a good chunk of the main plant but still left quite a bit. Didn't touch the other plants except to tidy them and remove a few leaves and specks of possible rot starting.

Made 6 cuts, taking two longer colas, two medium colas (couple of joints), and two tops only. Probably left more than half the plant, at least assuming it matures into something worthwhile, But it is doing pretty well with mould and the rest of the buds look small enough that it seemed worth the risk to let them go a while longer.

Something else I did that I've never done before was to go around all the plants and treat all wounds, cut points, and anything showing any kind of sketchy spotting with isopropyl alcohol on cotton buds. Since returned, researched this action AFTER performing it, and discovered that alcohol doesn't kill mould... So I've probably just gone around deliberately dabbing at the worst mould danger spots on my plants and spreading any spores around my plants... And it's only 70% alcohol, so it the other 30% is prob water, so now they're also damp at those spots...

Might produce a proper, mould killing solution tomorrow and go back and try again. Potassium bicarbonate or something? Not sure yet.

Hopefully will post photos of what I have later. Suspect I'll leave quite a bit of leaf on the buds when trimming. Can deal with a bit of harshness and don't want to miss out on all those trichomes.

• Like 2