The Random Thread

whats_luring

On 18/04/2017 at 9:56 PM, Irishgirl said:

Hi Guys, @English Archer, mmmh, I'm sure it's a worry & annoying as ur left being indecisive,  will I,  won't I. Just put a few in, no as many, keep an eye on it also especially near harvest. This GG is always a gamble.

I feel I am behind with things, even have seeds to germinate when they arrive. Now I ask have I started to late :wallbash:.

I managed to start digging the holes at a 1 plot. I did about 8 until I had a big blister on da palm of my hand. Hopefully get more done over the weekend.

Two questions, y do some GG'S use tiers around plants?

Roughly how many plants on average would a GG put out taken into account of looses from animals,  weather & other things that r thrown at ur GG'S.  TIA.

I'm using tyres on some just to add a bit of depth. Also adds a bit of warmth to the rootzone so I've heard. I guess the extra height off the ground helps come harvest time too as to keep the plant further away from the damp ground!?!

I did not plan for any losses. I sowed 19 seeds on my first run, 2 regs did not germ and then whatever turns out to be male. They've been out a week now and no losses so far! (fingers crossed).

Germing some more today. Got 16 Autos and some more regs to go out!

• Like 3

holy crap... im struggling to keep up with the diarys this season! i cant keep up with bz let alone everyone else lol gonna have to spend a wile going through and hitting that follow button.. 

gonna be the best year for pics no doubt!

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Flintstone said:

I'm using tyres on some just to add a bit of depth. Also adds a bit of warmth to the rootzone so I've heard. I guess the extra height off the ground helps come harvest time too as to keep the plant further away from the damp ground!?!

I did not plan for any losses. I sowed 19 seeds on my first run, 2 regs did not germ and then whatever turns out to be male. They've been out a week now and no losses so far! (fingers crossed).

Germing some more today. Got 16 Autos and some more regs to go out!

Thanks @Flintstone for this info, good to know as I have some tyers laying around so could use them. Do you not dig holes when u use tyers or just lay da tyer on top of the ground then fill with earth/compost/soil?

Wow u have been busy with 19 out so far  fingers crossed for you mate.

R u germinating wet paper towel method till root shows, indoors under lights for a while den put outside? 

Sorry for all the questions but it will be my first time planting in ground & using tyers. All GG'S feel free to answer my questions if you know or work/ed in this fashion. All info must appreciated. Feck, it's tough go this hobby. :sweaty:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Irishgirl said:

Thanks @Flintstone for this info, good to know as I have some tyers laying around so could use them. Do you not dig holes when u use tyers or just lay da tyer on top of the ground then fill with earth/compost/soil?

Wow u have been busy with 19 out so far  fingers crossed for you mate.

R u germinating wet paper towel method till root shows, indoors under lights for a while den put outside? 

Sorry for all the questions but it will be my first time planting in ground & using tyers. All GG'S feel free to answer my questions if you know or work/ed in this fashion. All info must appreciated. Feck, it's tough go this hobby. :sweaty:

I would turn the soil over underneath the tyre then plonk it on top. Then fill with compost or any decent nearby soil :yep:

I germed all of mine straight into compost and on the window cill in the kitchen! No artificial light. Nice and simple!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, RandyBoBandy said:

holy crap... im struggling to keep up with the diarys this season! i cant keep up with bz let alone everyone else lol gonna have to spend a wile going through and hitting that follow button.. 

BZ is getting his own sub-forum ;)

On 20/04/2017 at 11:06 AM, RandyBoBandy said:

Only just seeing this now, I haven't been able to keep up with the general section!

My grow buddy's gonna have to pull his weight so I can get all the diaries done ha ha

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Irishgirl said:

Can anyone give me a link to swamp grow or has anyone done a diary on this kindda grow? TIA :yep:.

Jeez, I don't think you should attempt a swamp grow in Ireland @Irishgirl. I know some guys down the south of England have done it with good success, but those 'swamps' and wetland areas can dry out quite a bit in the summer and autumn down here and there is nowhere near as much rain or moisture overall.

I would envisage that a swamp in Ireland is always going to be wet and boggy and a nightmare with mould due to all the moisture and rain. Perhaps I am wrong, but I wouldn't risk it, not where you are. If you are hell bent on doing it, do what @Andromedian is doing and make some sort of a tower so the pot is off the ground and not soaking up all that abundant moisture. 

Also, the links to old swamp grow diaries have probably had all their pics lost since the update to the new site. Again, I might be wrong though.

ATB

24 minutes ago, English Archer said:

Jeez, I don't think you should attempt a swamp grow in Ireland @Irishgirl. I know some guys down the south of England have done it with good success, but those 'swamps' and wetland areas can dry out quite a bit in the summer and autumn down here and there is nowhere near as much rain or moisture overall.

I would envisage that a swamp in Ireland is always going to be wet and boggy and a nightmare with mould due to all the moisture and rain. Perhaps I am wrong, but I wouldn't risk it, not where you are. If you are hell bent on doing it, do what @Andromedian is doing and make some sort of a tower so the pot is off the ground and not soaking up all that abundant moisture. 

Also, the links to old swamp grow diaries have probably had all their pics lost since the update to the new site. Again, I might be wrong though.

ATB

Thanks for this info @English Archer. It's only a few holes tat log da water so I was thinking of bottomless buckets, drain pipes & raise off da ground as you suggested. I agree with everything u say tho, Ireland is a wet & damp climate so I want 2 do it right whwhere it's wet in a few holes, about 3/4 of them is water logged but da rest is dry with muddy soil. I will be adding organic compost mixed with farm manure, living green compost, bone meal etc to give them a good start & hope 4 da best. I will have my 12 plants in this area 4 da RGS competition. It was da only spot I cud find for this grow. Thanks again & happy growing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Irishgirl said:

Thanks for this info @English Archer. It's only a few holes tat log da water so I was thinking of bottomless buckets, drain pipes & raise off da ground as you suggested. I agree with everything u say tho, Ireland is a wet & damp climate so I want 2 do it right whwhere it's wet in a few holes, about 3/4 of them is water logged but da rest is dry with muddy soil. I will be adding organic compost mixed with farm manure, living green compost, bone meal etc to give them a good start & hope 4 da best. I will have my 12 plants in this area 4 da RGS competition. It was da only spot I cud find for this grow. Thanks again & happy growing. 

No worries @Irishgirl. Again, I don't have any experience of growing in a swamp, so you will be best speaking to someone like Andro. I'm sure there are a few swampies on here who can help and provide some advice lol 

ATB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irishgirl said:

Can anyone give me a link to swamp grow or has anyone done a diary on this kindda grow? TIA :yep:.

36 minutes ago, Key4 said:

Thanks @Key4 I couldn't find this link, ur so helpful, ur a gent as always :yep:

Edited by Irishgirl
Misspelled
  • Like 1

Irish girl, this is my swamp grow, old faithful. Been here 10 years. The plants can suffer but mostly through lack of nutrients. There a lot of airborn fungi so hungry or sick plants effect yield. It's just a breeding/bubblehash only spot now. I use old school recycling bins with a bag and a half of compost. They sit directly on a raised part of a swamp sourrounded by a hedge. It's almost perfect. Touch wood, she never gets found out. :D

gallery_74714_4856_4474.jpg

• Like 12