The Random Thread

whats_luring

I suppose it's better safe than sorry mate. It's a bit s**t that it's other growers that might get your plot sussed/ripped.

Looking at the long range forecast, you've got plenty time to prep a new plot. They're saying a colder than usual start to the month, and looking pretty unsettled well into april.

Some good prepping weather ahead ;)

Guest RandyBoBandy

it is mate.. no one alse would find em but another grower... i wouldnt use a plot your avg joe could come across, these are very stealth

from past experience i know im all good getting planted end of may start of july and getting decent size plants, its just time flies... ill spend some time on the maps tomorrow.. hopefuly something pops out at me

feeling a bit stuck for the first time since growing

• Like 1

I was digging my patch over last year when I suddenly hit something made of metal about a foot below the surface. I started digging around it trying to get to it so I could find out exactly what it was, but then I suddenly noticed that it was a cylindrical object, just over a foot long with a strange twisted end/tail buried in the ground. It also had the top of it missing, so I could see through it almost and see that it was filled with a load of soil but it also still had some kind of metal mechanism attached inside with a spring and bolt attached to another metal internal tube. Straight away I thought 'Christ, it's a WW2 bomb'! I didn't know this for sure though.

Obviously I couldn't tell anyone about this or alert a bomb squad or anything without giving away the location of my plot... So I just worked around it leaving a 2 meter perimeter just in case. For all I know it could have just been an old rusty tin of some kind that had the lid missing. But then again it could have actually been a bomb, so I wasn't prepared to excavate it or pick it up!

That's a very real risk in some places near me, been a couple found during construction work which have caused evacuations and all sorts - if you find something like that, as much as it pains me to say it, you need to fuck the plot off and alert the authorities.

I certainly wouldn't be leaving a semi exposed piece of ordanance lying there unreported if I found one while digging, I definitely wouldn't be planting nearby and visiting repeatedly!

Edited by Guerrillero

I'm in the same boat @@RandyBoBandy,done a load of prep and find newbies crashing about in a long established area. Pointless doing a set as its only going to end in tears. Been trotting around to find evidence of prior minor attempts at various locations which rules them out as you don't know what attention activity has already been created in the past. Definitely getting harder in our lat to find something worthwhile. Pain in the arse having to move about more than usual. I guess I've been spoilt over the years. Just seems that what was a discreet practise that almost the entire UK including a lot of users were unaware of is now becoming the latest "thing" due to recent exposure.

Still got a couple areas ,1 not used since 2012 and ripe for a return. 2 could be nice although would mean only pre dawn visits. Either way I'm sure we will find what we are looking for.

Good luck for this season

• Like 7

@@RandyBoBandy

Shame your having a bit of bad luck with your plots recently Randy. I think you will find something yet... Why would you not want to use the plot with other grower near by? I know it's not ideal but you've already done a lot of the hard work.

• Like 3

Yeah right thats trye actually. Maybe just run it as a risky one and bung more out elsewhere to compensate, expecting it to get found?

• Like 1

Hi @, yes quiet upset I'm having to loose this area. Odd thing is I know about them but they don't know about me. I've some plans to get rid but I've got to let em get started first. Harsh,maybe but I want my privacy back.

During the mid 90's I grew what was then available and at first used to have to go to Brewer st in Soho to get seeds from a hippy shop.

Hollands Hope

Rox

Amstel Gold that morphed into Passion 1

Stuporsonic

Himalayan Gold

Early Girl

Early Pearl

Blueberry

Great White Shark

Ahh fond memories as I recall the plots and strains and fun times to make the list up. Of course I wasn't very good and it was very hit and miss but all of them did produce in their own way and i was always happy to get a smoke.

Back then I had to learn from books and hands on with varying success. Now it's on a plate which is why there are many new eyes trampling around places where a few years ago they wouldn't have dreamed of going.

Still there's Always a new spot in the next field or the next one or the next one.......

• Like 6

@@Lea Valley

Sounds like you've had some good times at that spot :) I think it's really cool how you have been scurrying round the same area since the 90's!

Shame that someone else has arrived on the scene. I don't know what the area is like but is there no possibility of you both using the area? Or are they proper crappy and you feel like they'd hot it up for you?

at first used to have to go to Brewer st in Soho to get seeds from a hippy shop..

Sohi-Soho? From the counter at the back of the shop? Fond memories.

I remember crazy trips to London, get up early, pick up my mate, drive down the motorway with shit tapes playing on a shit sterio, smoking soap bar. Go to Soho, score the seeds & head back home in time to go on the piss in the evening.

There was also an upstairs room I when to once to get KC33....I think it was called the London seed bank. Dodgy a hell.

Guest RandyBoBandy

@@RandyBoBandy

Shame your having a bit of bad luck with your plots recently Randy. I think you will find something yet... Why would you not want to use the plot with other grower near by? I know it's not ideal but you've already done a lot of the hard work.

i like to feel 100 percent about my plots... if i dont feel 100 percent i dont plant... id hate to have a strong feeling that they could get found, it would do my head in all season... id rather go with out as sad as it seems...

its more than one grower for sure... ive found 5 grows all around me, 6 as one of the growers has two plots...

im sure they are different people, just by mess..distance.. protection and style of grows

if i had left the cutting back till alot later... i might have felt alot better about it.. and my other plots seem to still look cut back and open from last year.. a grower would know

its just way to much around me for my liking... they could look for other plots.. come across mine.. someone alse could be struggling to find a plot because of the taken ones and come across mine..

im also walking away from a plot ive used 4 seasons..

id rather lose a couple of hours of work than plants ive watched through the summer...

ill find something.... i hope

• Like 4

Guest Andromedian

We are the same.....if it ain't 100% then what is the point.......

The likes of you and us would leave others plants alone, but would the other growers do that for you, not worth the constant worry

• Like 1

@

Sohi Soho . lol that's a blast from the past. Yeah I was there pre Internet.

@

I've got so used this area, always move around to let things heal over but it's been opened up over the years so now so people have easier access. As far as sharing.... There's something Old and Orrible lurking in the woods....

Edited by Lea Valley
  • Like 1