The Random Thread

whats_luring

I think that wind micro climates are there too. I like looking at the topography the good old fashioned way on OS maps, well via an app called UK atlas which has proven to worth every penny of its few quid cost. It's great for footpaths, and contours and I find that switching from this, to Google earth, to Bing is quicker than getting all pro with Google earth. Yeah, I'm learning, its not just about security and soil quality. A narrow gap between two raised areas of ground seems to make for an often breezy place, those kind of places where the prevailing wind gets all muddled and swirls and comes from all directions. I'd love to know more about this.

Guest kombatkevin

I think micro climates are what make a great garden.

Do you watch garderners world theres an amazing bit about a man who has a fully tropical garden somewhere stupid like Scotland (don't quote me on that) . the way he positioned his plants on the contours of the land created a hot humid environment perfect for his plant selection. Very advanced stuff I didn't really understand but very interesting

• Like 1

Building a pond to put fish in, at your plot........you sure!! Ramblings of a mad man!

Dude are you for fucking real.......

We want cannabis.....not koi carp!

Why don't you just go to your plot, dig a mahoosive hole, get in it, and then get your mate to fill it in, fuck the pond.....at least you won't have far to go, when you want to go back to your plot........also another top tip.....get him to whip you with stinging nettles so you won't go mouldy....... :smartass:

aaaaahhhhhh the things you learn on this site are amazing lol

I did dig a sump once about a metre square, and 500mm deep, It did fill up nicely. It should have served as a nice res during the dry spell, until I found 2 dead birds rotting in it and gave up on the idea..

e2a: it had a net over it so hell knows how they got in there

Edited by iamafunkimunki

Guest Andromedian

I did dig a sump once about a metre square, and 500mm deep, It did fill up nicely. It should have served as a nice res during the dry spell, until I found 2 dead birds rotting in it and gave up on the idea..

e2a: it had a net over it so hell knows how they got in there

I did that at greenfields plot, in 2014...came in well handy,

Held about 150 litres.......don't know about stocking it with fish though.....

Birds used mine frequently...always finding bird shit all around the edges..

Yeh I was thinking about digging a hole and putting a tarp in it just to collect rain water if we do get a dry spell. Any one else harvest rainwater in some way?

Yeh I was thinking about digging a hole and putting a tarp in it just to collect rain water if we do get a dry spell. Any one else harvest rainwater in some way?

Yeah - I plant plants in the ground and allow the rain water to fall on them. . . :g::doh:

• Like 1

I did that at greenfields plot, in 2014...came in well handy,

Held about 150 litres.......don't know about stocking it with fish though.....

Birds used mine frequently...always finding bird shit all around the edges..

Fish would be one step too far for me, Fish mix on tap is a bit much. Besides which I'd need an on site fire pit to compliment the pond then I could bake the bones of dead cattle and grind up my own bone meal... and potash from the fire for a nice easy bloom feed.

Touch too far??

• Like 3

I've been mulling over altidude and looking at rainfall charts today. What has surprised me is that annual rainfall levels vary quite alot surprisingly local regions. This is a break through for me as some close areas have alot of rainfall, even noticibly more during the summer and early autumn flowering times. Think I can maximise my chances by sticking to the least rainfall areas as where I'm at, drought isn't really a major concern. Anyone else doing similar?

I do this.

There's huge variation in climatic conditions, even on a local scale.

There's good historic meteorological data available via Weather Underground. They hold rainfall, temperature & humidity records for each local met station. There's thousands splattered across the UK, so it's likely there'll be one near a grow site. Only problem is that many records are only a year or two old- it seems they're expanding their network fast, so only have recent records. But most do the last 2 yrs.

The met office also have very good historic records and I think they include total sunlight per day, but those sites are much less frequent. The nearest met office site to me is about 40 miles, and I know for a fact that they get different weather to here. It's worth a look.

Spose I just walked in to that 1 haha... im talking when there's no rain about. Like a reserve

hehe yeah I gotcha bud, just messin! Defo works with tarpulin if you have a particularly dry plot and are worried about lugging in water.

Now into season 4 though I think with the right plot selection you can not really have to worry about watering at all. Then there are water crystals if you need them...

• Like 1

Cheers @@zug you just never know with the weather, could have a freak heat wave this year coming off the back of the ElNino or it could just piss down.... again

Edited by crticalcontent
  • Like 1

To be fair, if you look into aquaponics, you'll see that having a pond with fish and growing swamp tube style would give you amazing results, the thought and theory behind it is sound ..... Its just that the majority of us don't have anywhere that could accomodate a pond.

Guest The_Guerilla_Dr

Go to the pub and drink four pints without visiting the gents before going to the plot

And then proceed to burn the shit out of your plants with all that undiluted urine that is too high in nitrogen and renal waste products. I guarantee if you had 4 pints at the pub then went straight to your plot and pissed on your plants, their leaves would get nitrogen burn within 24 hours and all the impurities from your urine will contaminate the soil and soak up into the plants affecting their PH.

The urine fertiliser is supposed to be diluted with water so that it consists of 1 part urine (10%) and 9 parts water (90%), roughly. Personally I just think it's easier to apply regular garden centre nitrogen fertiliser, rather than saving up your urine, having to dilute it accurately and lug about 10 litres of the stuff up to your plot. I tried it last summer, and I won't try it again. I always found deer would sniff around my piss after applying it and I would also find deer shit nearby when I applied it. I guess that also proves that human piss does not keep deer away as a deterrent, if anything it attracts them to it so they can investigate, I guess since it is on their territory...