The Random Thread

whats_luring

Wd40 fish based? I got told by an old lady to spray it on my arthritic joints. She went on to tell me it was some kind of remedy for joint pain back in the day. I thought she was batshit crazy and laughed it off. Might try it now though. bit of fish oil on the squeaky knees. Haha

Mix it with Vaseline and salt. Coat cages, raised mg legs and can cloches. Superb stuff.

I do this on the pots the seedlings are in. It works really well

Mix it with Vaseline and salt. Coat cages, raised mg legs and can cloches. Superb stuff.

What sort of texture are you looking for? Coarse salt or just standard stuff? and how much salt to vaseline/ oil?

Cheers

Edited by marquee moon

@ I stand corrected. Was always lead to believe it contained highly refined fish oil, yes I even saw saltwater Match anglers spraying their baits with notable success. But alas it was merely a myth. I thought the perfumy smell was to hide the fishyness...

Hardly the stuff of a conspiracy thread...

Ho hum..

Sorry folks...

;)

• Like 1

Yeah I thought it was fish oil based too. It's not going to stop me using it. Best mix I've found is to get one of the tubs of Vaseline - about the size of an apple - not sure of the ml. Scoop about an 8th of it out and put to one side, I use the finer road salt sold for salting your drive in the winter without any of the bigger chunks, like the fine sand consistency stuff. Put in about 2-3 teaspoons and mix, then maybe a 5-10 second blast of wd40, stir this in. This tub will easliy then last me 1 season but I didn't do that many plants. It's still on the legs of the mg after a couple of weeks and after rain. It's great stuff and used sparingly doesn't appear to negatively impact soil or plants. It's highly effective on the sides of drinks can cloches especially if 3 or 4mm square tabs are cut into the top of the can and then splayed outwards this stops so much rain hitting the can sides and would be the final straw for any comando slug who's got past the wdsaltygrease and is trying to go over the top.

• Like 3

Guest Andromedian

In our first season, i tried using copper paste.....a slug will avoid it like the plague and it is weatherproof,

But when i trapped a slug inside a circle of copper paste.....after a while, he bit the bullet and slithered across it....took 40 minutes though......

• Like 2

@@Clean Green, a few more questions....

1) do you mix the salt & wd40 with the 1/8 of the pot that you've scooped out, or the stuff left in the pot?

2) I've seen pics in the galleries of drinks cans with cut & splayed tabs. What's going on? How to use?

Cheers

Mm

Edited by marquee moon

Yeah, its the remaining stuff I mean. You just remove some, so the other ingredients fit in. Too much wd40 and it gets too thin to stay on where its used.

As for the cans. I've seen people cut triangle 'spikes' which look intimidating to humans but I've noticed that slugs can't observe how intimidating things look! The square tabs if splayed out to just beyond 90° mean a slug has to go upside down before negotiating the very sharp tab corners. Not an easy task if he's just decided to oil, salt and grease himself. This combination with cans pushed well into the soil has not lost me a single plant to slugs in the last few years! I use ferrous phosphate (iron) based slug pellets very lightly along with the cans until the plant get to about a foot tall and then continue with just the cans and paste. I've had an odd slug get up the cages having a munch on bigger plants but I think the paste residue puts them off eating if they manage to get past it. Stem rot has lost me more plants than slugs so far using this method.

• Like 3

In our first season, i tried using copper paste.....a slug will avoid it like the plague and it is weatherproof,

But when i trapped a slug inside a circle of copper paste.....after a while, he bit the bullet and slithered across it....took 40 minutes though......

I have access to copper paste at work, I will liberate a tin in preperation for trials. It is horrible shit if you get it on your clothes or skin, takes ages to get off.

Have you tried the copper spray? Its a bit thinner but easier to apply, maybe not as long lasting...

Did you use straight copper paste? Im thinking a mix up with coarse sea salt might be slug-armageddon