Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

I'm on Ray Donovan the now season 2, 10/10 so far, really enjoying it, top class acting as well from all the characters :yep:

Good ain't it mate. What I thought was quite rare for a series is it gets better and better. Can't remember the name of the actor who plays Ray but he's perfect for that part.Wicked show that. One of my faves for sure. Can't wait for some more now.

• Like 2

Good ain't it mate. What I thought was quite rare for a series is it gets better and better. Can't remember the name of the actor who plays Ray but he's perfect for that part.Wicked show that. One of my faves for sure. Can't wait for some more now.

Ye it's top class, like you say perfect actor, just one of those it's as if the part was written with him in mind to play it, even the 2 brothers, his dad, his wife etc every actor fits their part spot on.

I can see this being up there with The Sopranos and The Wire for me :yep:

Liev Schrieber. He's been in quite a few movies, in smaller roles (I guess his biggest were the main role in the remake of The Manchurian Candidate - a decent enough remake and he's very good in it, but not a patch on the original IMHO, and in X-Men Origins: Wolverine as Wolverine's brother) but I think he's a far better actor than the movie roles he's had, was glad to see him in Ray Donovan (which I think is superb), good to see a good actor get a good role :) American TV seems to have been doing that quite a bit recently, giving good actors that haven't quite had the movie roles they deserved some great TV roles. I think (if you ignore mainstream shite like NCIS, and the bloody awful sitcoms) over the past decade or so Amercian TV has probably been making better stuff than the movie studios, I'd say the best American TV (stuff like Boardwalk Empire, True Detective, Ray Donovan, going back a bit Breaking Bad, and even dare I say it Justified) is better than 90% of the shite that Hollywood churns out.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 7

I'd agree with that Booj. That fella was in Salt too bro :) I liked him as wolverines bro aswell. It is true tho man.. he's a much better actor than his movies parts have shown. I couldn't get into broadwalk or true detective. Might have another go at true detective now. The good US TV stuff seems like they're actually trying much harder than the movies are. They wrap you up in the story more I find.. There's a coupe new ones I've seen pilots for which I liked too. Sneaky Pete looked good. Another one was Lucifer.

If you haven't seen it Booj.. watch the pilot for The Blacklist. I thought the acting in that was good. Especially from the main character. Good story too. Kept me thinking.

I liked Orange is the new black too. Womans prison thing in the states. Some mad characters in that. lol

@@Boojum

Edited by Blayz'd

I loved Orange is the New Black :) Thought it was superb :)

Watched the pilot of The Blacklist a while back and enjoyed it but haven't watched the series yet, my PC kinda died about that time so I'm still catching up on stuff, been a fan of James Spader since the brilliant Sex, Lies and Videotape (and thought he was pretty good in Stargate too, the TV series spinoffs from that were awful but I actually thought it was a pretty good popcorn sci fi movie :) ) - another underrated actor who, other than perhaps a few early movies (If you've not seen Sex, Lies and Videotape then I recommend it :) ) hasn't had the roles he deserved.

I'm about to catch up on Ray Donovan season 3, cos I've not seen that yet due to my computer hiatus :)

• Like 2

Although I loved The Wire - genuine TV masterpiece :notworthy: I still think my favourite American TV series of recent(ish) years is Deadwood. I absolutely loved that. The writing was just sublime, the dialogue was brilliant. It ended prematurely, which kinda spoiled it a bit, but what there was of it was truly superb. I hear, like Firefly, there may be a movie version that will perhaps tie up the loose ends. I'd like to think so (but only if they do the kind of job with it that Serenity did with Firefly, as long as it's true to the original).

E2A That's the problem with US telly, it makes decent shows but if the viewing figures aren't there, they get cancelled. Firefly got cancelled, Deadwood got cancelled. How I Met Your fucking Mother just went on an on and on :headpain: The masses decide, no matter how fucking shit their taste is. The lowest common denominator rules.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 4

I genuinely hope you enjoy it mate. I loved it.

lol It's probably the sweariest TV show ever made, and I do like a bit of creative swearing lol

E2A Ian McShane is brilliant, best role of his life. One of the great anti-heroes.

Edited by Boojum

I genuinely hope you enjoy it mate. I loved it.

lol It's probably the sweariest TV show ever made, and I do like a bit of creative swearing lol

Well in that case enough said mate lol.. you know me.. I don't mind a bit of creative swearing myself. I'll definitely give it a go next. I'll let you know what I thought. :)

Just looking through my folders.. while I'm here. There's another one. The Brink. With Tim Robbins and Jack Black. I thought that was quite good. Loads of drugs in it for a political thing. It's like a political comedy adventure thing lol Quite unique I thought. There's a couple pilots on an aircraft carrier. Most of the episodes they're in the plane. They're funny as fuck. One of em is a dealer on the aircraft carrier. They get a mission and go out.. but take some uppers to stay on their game. The dopey fucker mixed his pills up so instead of uppers they have a hit of some LSD type stuff which messes them up. Had me laughing man. Story is good too though. Tim Robbins is good. I like him. Think it's like 10 episodes. Probably not for everyone but I watched them all and enjoyed it. So maybe worth a look.

Edited by Blayz'd

Well in that case enough said mate lol.. you know me.. I don't mind a bit of creative swearing myself. I'll definitely give it a go next. I'll let you know what I thought. :)

Just looking through my folders.. while I'm here. There's another one. The Brink. With Tim Robbins and Jack Black. I thought that was quite good. Loads of drugs in it for a political thing. It's like a political comedy adventure thing lol Quite unique I thought. There's a couple pilots on an aircraft carrier. Most of the episodes they're in the plane. They're funny as fuck. One of em is a dealer on the aircraft carrier. They get a mission and go out.. but take some uppers to stay on their game. The dopey fucker mixed his pills up so instead of uppers they have a hit of some LSD type stuff which messes them up. Had me laughing man. Story is good too though. Tim Robbins is good. I like him. Think it's like 10 episodes. Probably not for everyone but I watched them all and enjoyed it. So maybe worth a look.

That sounds right up my street, I've always wondered what happened to Tim Robbins after Shawshank and Jacob's Ladder.

:yep: i enjoyed that one too , i was surprised to see

Rob Brydon as a swinging sadomasochistic art thief or whatever it was

• Like 1

Anyone watched Peaky Blinders?

Also what about The Americans?

Trying to decide what to watch next after just finishing Ray Donovan which was amazingly good :yep:

Edited by ELO
  • Like 1