Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

I'm going to suggest one of my favourite TV shows, King of the Hill. I know most of the suggestions so far have been about quality drama but I'd suggest that King of the Hill was so much more than a crappy cartoon sit-com like The Simpsons or Family Guy. There are some great characters (Dale Gribble for one) and the show subtly and gently mocks many aspects of contemporary American life in a small town.

"Dang right, Ahh tell you what.."

• Like 1

Carnivale: another awesome series cancelled after series two (twin peaks in a travelling circus)

I was going to say that one as I enjoyed Carnivale..

Also on a retro British theme how about..

Boys from the black stuff

Prospects

The long firm

Some of Dennis Potters stuff was good too..

The singing detective

Blackeyes

Pennies from heaven

Lipstick on your colar

Life and loves of a she devil

karaoke

Cold Lazurus

Edited by madgiz
  • Like 2

I was going to say that one as I enjoyed Carnivale..

Also on a retro British theme how about..

Boys from the black stuff

Prospects

The long firm

Never heard of Prospects. But Boys From The Black Stuff was superb (Yosser Hughes - gis a job, it was 20+ years ago but that's how it still is for a lot of people, the 'scroungers', people who would do anything for a job).

Gis a job. Give it. I can do that. Go on, gis a go.

Fucking soul destroying :sadwalk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4auMICUYEiQ

• Like 2

sheeet forgot about Twin peaks !!!

my revamped list now reads:

1.band of brothers

2.the Sopranoes

3. The Wire

4.Breaking bad

5. Twin peaks

Never heard of Prospects. But Boys From The Black Stuff was superb (Yosser Hughes - gis a job, it was 20+ years ago but that's how it still is for a lot of people, the 'scroungers', people who would do anything for a job).

Gis a job. Give it. I can do that. Go on, gis a go.

Fucking soul destroying :sadwalk:

It has been mentioned already, but '''Our Friends In the North is a superb drama from the same background of Boys from The Blackstuff....

• Like 1

Blakes seven if you can get it.

Fuck yeah but whisper about it please,don't want those cunts remaking it in the same vein as the Tomorrow People.They even left out the original theme tune which was nearly as haunting as the Dr Who one IMO

http://youtu.be/AOwX5NDJlj4

Another classic is The Water Margin if nostalgia is your thing and for Scandinavian nostalgia Annika was a 3 parter from 1984 that was pretty good.I think both are now on youtube.

Weeds is fun for a few series.Spartacus is great but rather sad that the lead died after the first series.Sons of Anarchy is good for a giggle too but none of the last 3 will stretch your thinking muscles much.

Gumbo.

• Like 2

Peaky Blinders - Very good UK TV show well worth a watch,Cant wait for series 2! - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2442560/

Eastbound & Down - Just finished watching series 4 and its the best one by far,Hilarious - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0866442/

South Park - As ya can guess by the Avi im a fan lol,Seen em all and would recommend south park to anyone - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121955/

• Like 2

Have you watched Taxi. By the 'same' interests that gave rise to Cheers and then Frasier. If you do watch it give it the breaks because it doesn't hit the ground running the way Cheers and Frasier did. But once Danny DeVito's character Louie DePalmer becomes fully formed and Christopher Lloyd as Jim appears then it is as much a well oiled creature as the latter series. It also features the sublime Andy Kaufman as Latka. Carol Kane as Latka's partner then wife is excellent too.

Edited by Hir
  • Like 3

don`t know if anyone`s mentioned The Shield yet, but i really enjoyed that, it`s based on a real story about a small group of corrupt officers in the LAPD called the strike team, but they were a law unto themselves, some great stories

Walton Goggins is in it, but the whole cast is excellent imo

• Like 1

most have been covered here but hears a few that haven't .. i think

first is a manga tv series - Attack on Titain. or Shingeki no Kyojin, lit. "Advancing Giants"

it is some times a little hard to follow and some of the translations are a bit out out there but the animation and the story are excellent.

im not really into cop dramas but Broadchurch was a good slow burning mini series with a good performance from both Olivia Colman and David Tennant.

the box of delights - you can get it on you tube

its awful and im a little ashamed of admitting this one. it started off shit and is only being really being dragged along by James Spaders character and his antics - Blacklist

• Like 3

its awful and im a little ashamed of admitting this one. it started off shit and is only being really being dragged along by James Spaders character and his antics - Blacklist

i couldn`t get past the first half of episode one