Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

I caught a bit of the trading up thing, not see it all @@~Sanctuary~

I used to love the XXX is Born series. The bloke did A Car is Born, A Bike is Born and some other stuff. I once spent the whole Sunday watching them back to back, I only got up for a piss and to make the odd cup of tea.

• Like 2

Guest cuan9

A chopper is born was a good one,building a kit helicopter,I wouldn't fly one I built!!!

• Like 1

Edge of Darkness the original 1985 British TV series). Truly superb TV, Bob Peck is particularly good. If you've not seen it I highly recommend it.

just started watching this, what the fuck was the writer thinking @27 mins into ep 1 :headpain:

i was expecting bob peck to give a wry smile when he pulled that out of the drawer, maybe even chuckle , but no,

Just finished watching Fargo on netflix. It was a bit like breaking bad only with murder. Thoroughly enjoyed :)

That's one i've been holding out on , but i'll get round to it.

Watched the whole of season 1 of trading up and stumbled to bed at 5:30am @@Comrade Stoker, got season 2 to keep me up tonight once the missus is in bed, I love car shows tried the classic car show with Quintin Wilson and Jodie Kidd as well last night but just was not feeling it, If you have any others worth recommending I'm all ears.

Edited by ~Sanctuary~

Watched the whole of season 1 of trading up and stumbled to bed at 5:30am @@Comrade Stoker, got season 2 to keep me up tonight once the missus is in bed, I love car shows tried the classic car show with Quintin Wilson and Jodie Kidd as well last night but just was jot feeling it, If you have any others worth recommending I'm all ears.

There was one about doing up an Aston DBS with the bloke from that old police show that was popular (The one with the old Ford cars in).

I watch all of the How Its Made and How Do They Do That on Quest, its fucking mint that program. If I was stuck on desert island with only one thing to watch, I'd watch that.

• Like 3

Gangland Undercover. 6 part mini series about the true story of Charles Falco, a meth dealer turned informant who went undercover for three years with the notorious Vagos biker gang.

Was a bit dubious about this onebut really enjoyed it :yep:

I've just started watching The Hunger, a horror anthology series from the late 90s. Only on episode 1 but it seems decent so far. Horror anthology TV series can be a bit of a hit & miss affair, I thought Masters of Horror was pretty decent, some dross but a few absolute corkers, but Fear Itself was uniformly fucking dreadful, it's all down to the source material really (and who the screenwriter is adapting it). Having read the wiki page for The Hunger it does look promising, mostly based on short stories by decent short horror writers (some of which I have actually read), people like Robert Aickman, F Paul Wilson, Harlan Ellison and Karl Edward Wagner, like Masters of Horror was. I'll post what I think after I've watched a few episodes :)

E2A Sorry, mini rant because horror is my passion. I think that's what's wrong with so much movie horror, the fact that it's not based on source material by decent horror writers, but instead by movie screenwriters who simply don't have a feel for the genre. There are so many great horror writers out there (as anthologies like The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror prove), and writing horror really is a skill. There should be more adaptations of good short horror stories and far fewer screenplays written by people who think they can write horror, but who actually have no feel for it. But Hollywood doesn't take risks, and for the pencil pushers and bean counters getting someone who is a known Hollywood name to write a generic screenplay is far less risky than using unknown (to Hollywood) source works by unknown (to Hollywood) writers.

Edited by Boojum

OK, watched the first 2 now (both based on Robert Aickman stories). Kinda enjoyed them. Second one was pretty predictable, but still not bad. I guess sex/desire/obsession is the theme. Not my favourite sub-genre of horror, but it'll do. They are very popular themes for short horror.

Thought Masters of Horror was much better, and if you've not seen it and are a horror fan I highly recommend it. Like I said there are some duff ones, but there are some really good ones too (off the top of my head Pelts, Cigarette Burns, Pick Me Up, Sick Girl and Imprint were particularly stand-out. I'd read the original short story versions of Pelts and Pick Me Up before and I think Masters of Horror did a decent job with them :) Incident On And Off A Country Road was OK, but the original short story by Joe R Lansdale is much better. Oh and Jenifer and The Damned Thing were pretty good).

Imprint is by far the most fucked up, directed by Takashi Miike, and deeply, deeply nasty (just checking the wiki page, apparently it was shelved by Showtime, who commissioned the series, as too disturbing to broadcast lol Pussies lol ).

Edited by Boojum

Hillbilly Blood: A Hardscrabble Life

A bit mindless and fake, but fairly entertaining. Like a hybrid of dukes of hazzard and lizard lick lol .

• Like 1

Orphan black 2 seasons watch about 10 episodes enjoy it.

the kiling 4 seasons interesting althoug the last season a bit wierd...

Orphan black 2 seasons watch about 10 episodes enjoy it.

I didn't watch Orphan Black when it was on telly, probably because it was on BBC3 and I never even bother looking what's on BBC3, because the majority of it is so fucking dire. But I watched it a while back (I think because someone here recommended it :) ) and I have to say I really enjoyed it :)

E2A I didn't realise that season 3 has started (episode 1 was shown in the USA on the 18th of April).

Edited by Boojum

Yeah man, theyre on episode 6 this week in USA. Season 4 has already been agreed, just hope it doesn't turn into another 'Lost' debacle and disappear up its own arse!