Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

We're three episodes deep into Ratched on Netflix, it's fairly good. A six out of ten for me so far.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest, both book and film get a ten.

KAOS, the myth of Orpheus set in an early C21st style world. In terms of essential plot points this a true telling of the myth. The casting feels a bit random; it's like "we couldn't get (whoever it is that does the Brian Blessed shtick these days) to play Zeus, but Jeff Goldblum is available." It shouldn't work, but in a weird way it does.

Series 2 of The Rings of Power really picks up the pace and is done with great panache. The cinematic budget helps, but that is not enough in itself. IMO it is respectful of the original material and true to the spirit of Tolkien.

Supacell is an above average superhero thing made more interesting by it's location and demographic. Make it through the first episode and it is well paced and reasonably well acted. it does touch on "issues", incidentally, but does not make a meal of them as you suspect a BBC drama might. 

4 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

"we couldn't get (whoever it is that does the Brian Blessed shtick these days) to play Zeus, but Jeff Goldblum is available."

Apparently the role was meant to go to Hugh Grant.

• Haha 1

Tried to get into Brassic cos I like Joe Gilgun but I just can't, comes across to me like a ripoff of Shameless with less likeable characters and inferior plotting.

Started watching Elsbeth. Carrie Preston reprising her role as the quirky attorney from The Good Wife in what is, initial setup aside, basically Columbo in structure. Whether you like it or not probably depends on whether you like the character, I thought she was by far the best thing in The Good Wife and find her upbeat quirkiness rather enchanting ( :wub: :bag: ) but I can see how it may grate on others, but since I like her and I've always been partial to the old Columbo-style setup I'm thoroughly enjoying it :)

finished Bojack Horseman last night, i reckon it's probably the best animated tv show i've ever seen, and one of the best tv shows, came along at just the right time for me. 9/10

Kleo, East German spy killer wants revenge when she's released from prison after the fall of the Berlin wall.

It's in German (or dubbed). If that's not your cup of tea but you do like the idea of a woman on a killing spree, go watch Killing Eve.

Slow Horses new season just started.

Gary Oldman - say no more!

"Bringing you people up to speed is like explaining Norway to a dog" 🤪

5 hours ago, DeltaMelter said:

Slow Horses new season just started.

Gary Oldman - say no more!

"Bringing you people up to speed is like explaining Norway to a dog" 🤪

I was excited to watch Slow Horses after a mate recommended it and being in to espionage stuff generally but was pretty underwhelmed to be honest, it was more James Bond action and unrealistic plots than high brow and thought provoking drama like the all time best, The Sandbaggers (all episodes on YouTube if anyone's interested).

Perhaps I'm just a bore but it trying to be a comedy and serious spy drama didn't seem to work too well, for me it's one or the other. Still, I'll probably watch the new series as I've already invested time in to the previous series.

Also, I'm 90% sure that joke about Norway to a dog is straight up plagiarised from The Thick Of It.

Fight Night: The Million Dollar Heist. Based on the infamous armed robbery after Muhammad Ali's 1970 comeback fight, featuring an all-star cast, and Kevin Hart. lol   

Pretty good so far. :yep:   

The Walking Dead. I find myself just getting frustrated at how bad at survival everyone is. Up to season 4, the zombies are breaking the fence at the prison and nobody has had the obvious idea of just chucking a couple of molotovs at them and burning them all :rolleyes: Always frustrates me in any drama when the plot is driven by the protagonists' complete lack of even basic common sense :headpain: 

• Haha 1

On 09/09/2024 at 15:16, Boojum said:

The Walking Dead. I find myself just getting frustrated at how bad at survival everyone is.

The show frustrated me to the point of screaming at the screen from the first fucking episode when they abandoned the bloody tank and never returned with fuel for it.

• Like 1