Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Disney recently censored the The French Connection. If you stream or watch The French Connection on live TV it's now a censored version, outdated dialogue (the n word) has been removed. Only way to see the original version is physical media.

Watched the first episode and a half of Fallout, liking it so far :) They've got the look and feel of it spot on, and the fan pleasing touches are not as forced as in the awful Halo adaptation (the switching to a first person camera in some combat scenes in that was just cringeworthy).

• Like 1

Watching Norsemen on Netflix, it's joyously silly, shame it was cancelled after the 3rd season :(

(not to be confused with The Northman, a gorgeous looking but utterly soulless exercise in style over substance by the massively overrated Robert Eggers, I really don't understand why the critics love him so much, I think The Witch is his best film and that was OK but no more than that and The Lighthouse was just fucking terrible).

• Like 1

Watching Ripley on Netflix. On episode 3 and I still can't tell if I like it or not, it looks gorgeous but while I think Andrew Scott is a superb actor I'm just not sure he's right as Tom Ripley. He's far too old for one thing, but my main sticking point is that although I can absolutely buy him as a sociopath (I think his Moriarty was just about the only decent thing in the otherwise massively overrated Sherlock), I can't buy him as the charming con man part of the character, he's too sinister, you wouldn't trust him for a second.

bill cooper

I was really looking forward to watching the last episode of shogun only to realise that there are no English subtitles on the site I was using and can't find it anywhere else !

Posted (edited)

Bodies (the 2023 Netflix one). Poorly written, generic, muddled time-loop yawnfest. Even Stephen Graham couldn't save it. Watch the excellent Dark (also on Netflix) instead. Or if you want a decent TV show called Bodies watch Jed Mercurio's 2004 BBC medical drama.

Edited by Boojum

On 21/04/2024 at 16:24, Boojum said:

it's joyously silly

I know someone who genuinely doesn't find it funny. Wtf is wrong with people :unsure:

A spoof that's better than the series it's based on!

• Like 1

How can you not love a show in which a bunch of Vikings discuss the sartorial merits of horns on helmets lol

• Haha 1

Larry Badgeley

Baby Reindeer on Netflix. A Woman stalks a man. Sounds shit? Not when the actor and the writer is the actual man who was stalked. Really good.

Watched the Gary Glitter doc last evening. No surprises, but what a cunt

• Haha 1

Unlocked.

Finished that, on flix, last night. Took me two nights, only because I'd started late and had to get to bed Some time.

It was fucking Good, in honesty! :yep: Really quite enjoyed it. And that from a man who reckons, if he sees one more fucking 'American Prison' thing, will fucking scream! This one, I feel, genuinely was different. And it Isn't just the usual, 'Heat in the Yard' sort of shit either.

2 hours ago, bill cooper said:

I was really looking forward to watching the last episode of shogun only to realise that there are no English subtitles on the site I was using and can't find it anywhere else !

Come on, lads; Someone must be able to help Bill? I've been watching on the same site as him. ( https://moviesjoy.is/watch-tv/shogun-106618.10421146 ) And my sub's are english. This is a grab from Episode 10:

Shogun.png

I sent him that link. But, it's blowing up, on him 😐

j.o.i.n.t

@Chal I turned off the subtitles, and they're still there - appears they're a part of the video. so....*shrug*

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

@Chal I turned off the subtitles, and they're still there ...

Yeah. Thing is ~ and your input makes it even More bizarre! Poor Bill's getting them in Italian, from what I understand! :shock:

Like he's probably done himself too; I've searched for any other place he can see it. Just the usual scams :(

j.o.i.n.t

@Chal If a VPN is being used it might be that. Some sites serve content after looking at the IP and guessing using a 'geolocation service' (they're not perfect at all) the language to use, but there's other things like language settings in the browser itself that can influence it too.

Dunno, in short.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
de-bollocksing what i wrote. heh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're a good man, Joint. Hopefully @bill cooper can figure it out, at his end then. It's doing my head in, for him! I've had problems before. Nothing fucking worse than Really enjoying a series ~ Click! - and it's gone! 😬

On a side note? As I was saying to Bill; I read the book. Loved it, of course! Saw the series, with Richard Chamberlain, just looking So good, in that dark kimono (No Homo! 😂) Enjoyed That. The film? I really felt those who hadn't read the book just got what they deserved. Let them try to make sense of the blanks themselves, I thought!

This adaptation? Fucking Hell!!! They'd might as well show us cardboard cut outs and use a single, monotone, mechanically produced voice to drone all the way through!

I made it to 4 and seriously can't be arsed with any more :(