Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Watched the first episode of Griselda. Won't be watching any more, Narcos it aint :nea:

Watching the first episode of Parasyte: The Grey. Much more my kind of thing lol

Posted (edited)

Finished Parasyte: The Grey. Really enjoyed it :) Think I'll try Gyeongseong Creature next (may give El Chapo a go first though since I recently watched Narcos Mexico, see another perspective on events covered in that).

Edited by Boojum

Flamedodger

Anyone watching This Town on BBC? I think you have to be a certain age to appreciate it. It’s quite nostalgic 😀

Fallout. :tv_horror:  Series based on the Bethesda video games. :yep: It's pretty decent so far and all episodes are ready to binge. :D 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Fallout. :tv_horror:  Series based on the Bethesda video games. :yep: It's pretty decent so far and all episodes are ready to binge. :D 

Nice one, was wondering if all the episodes are available or if they've done that snidey thing streaming services are doing now, saying it's available but not saying only the first episode or two are and the rest are weekly :frown: 

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Boojum said:

snidey thing

Here's another snidey trick...we're watching re-runs of Benidorm and they've got some of the episodes on free play, some on fecking prime which costs monthly...as if we're not paying enough already.

This well and truly fucks up the storyline running through the series.:ranting:

callywally

Fallout actually looks decent. Looking forward to season 2 of Severence too 

Posted (edited)

I've been watching the first season of Space Force. It got panned by the critics but I don't think it's that bad, it's worth watching just for John Malkovich, he's superb :)

Here's another snidey trick...we're watching re-runs of Benidorm and they've got some of the episodes on free play, some on fecking prime which costs monthly...as if we're not paying enough already.

This well and truly fucks up the storyline running through the series.:ranting:

I think that's got something to do with licensing, seems that Benidorm is on multiple streaming services - Amazon, Netflix, Brit Box and (I think) ITVX, so maybe it's about who has the rights to different episodes/seasons :unsure:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, stu914 said:

some of the episodes on free play, some on fecking prime which costs monthly..

3 minutes ago, Boojum said:

I think that's got something to do with licensing,

This is why physical media is so important. You buy it once, and its yours to watch whenever you want, and you aren't at the hands of the streaming giants being passed pillar to post between services whenever you want to watch something different or even a different season of the same thing!

Ontop of that, if a streaming service removes something, you've fucked it if you wanna watch it.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Aye, and then there's regional streaming services like Sky/Now TV leading to the absurd situation where Netflix got the rights to continue making Manifest after it was cancelled and you can watch all 4 seasons on that everywhere except the UK where you can only watch seasons 1 & 4 because Sky still own the UK rights to seasons 2 and 3 :wacko:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

sweettooth
54 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

This is why physical media is so important. You buy it once, and its yours to watch whenever you want, and you aren't at the hands of the streaming giants being passed pillar to post between services whenever you want to watch something different or even a different season of the same thing!

Ontop of that, if a streaming service removes something, you've fucked it if you wanna watch it.

also in these woke times, a lot of stuff gets censored or rewritten to exclude scenes or certain language.

• Like 3

Bram Toker

I stumbled on the Japanese TV adaptation of The Water Margin that was screened by the BBC in the 1970s. I adored this show back in the day but I was just a kid. Re-watching it nearly half a century later I have to say it holds up really well. It's on an Amazon subsidiary channel called freevee for anyone that might want to check it out.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

also in these woke times, a lot of stuff gets censored or rewritten to exclude scenes or certain language.

Yep - or changed in some way because of licensing. But thats even true of physical media - a good example being that the song "fly me to the moon" has been taken out of the blu-ray release of the anime Evangelion (on both the original sub/dub and the newer sub/dub) due to licensing and Netflix. If I want to own the version that contains the song, I'd have to buy the ADV DVD release that has been out of print for like 15/20 years lol

Posted (edited)

That's happening a lot with stuff of a certain age, not the old stuff but things from a couple of decades ago, especially TV shows, the makers didn't pay for permanent rights to music so a lot of stuff from that era has had to replace songs from the original soundtrack because the rights have expired :doh: 

E2A On a similar theme folks may have noticed a lot of cover versions being used on soundtracks nowadays instead of the originals, that's not an artistic decision, it's because the licensing is a lot cheaper for cover versions than for the originals.

Blame the music streaming services and their restrictive licensing and the stranglehold they have on the music industry nowadays (the artists certainly aren't making more money, apart from the very biggest - I think it's Apple music who have just announced that they will no longer be paying artists anything for songs that get fewer than a certain number of plays :( ).

Edited by Boojum