Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Posted (edited)

Porridge is probably my favorite sitcom after Blackadder, Ronnie Barker was simply one of the greatest ever comic actors (and writers, he wrote a lot of the Two Ronnnies best sketches under the pseudonym Gerald Wiley including the sublime Four Candles sketch :notworthy: ). E2A Ronnie Barker could convey with a look what it would take most other comic actors lines of dialogue to achieve, particularly in Porridge. Remember liking Shoestring back in the day, though I was probably way too young for it. Don't really remember much Starskey and Hutch apart from the iconic car which I had the (I think) Matchbox model of, one of them wore cardigans a lot and Huggy Bear was a grass lol

E2A For old-school TV from my childhood I may have to rewatch Maverick and The Rockford Files, James Garner was just effortlessly cool :) (he could also be gritty, he's superb as a revenge-seeking Wyatt Earp in Hour of the Gun, kinda the sequel to Gunfight at the OK Corral).

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 5

Been rewatching the first series of Streets of San Francisco on YouTube. Hill Street Blues is on YouTube too, haven't seen that in decades.

Picked up the first season of The Twilight Zone (1959) on blu ray for £15 through that auction site. :yep: 

Every episode feels different now because the images are so clear, I can remember what these episodes looked like in the 20th century on a 640x480 CRT. lol    

In the mood for something undemanding so started watching Monk again from the beginning. Tony Shalhoub is a joy :D

• Haha 1

Can highly recommend severence if it hasn't been mentioned before.

also blake's 7 , which i'm sure i've mentioned before :)

Started watching 3 Body Problem. I haven't read the book(s) so I don't know if they're any good but I'm not getting into it (I'm halfway through episode 3), it's not as clever as it thinks it is and there isn't a single likeable character, doubt I'll continue with it.

• Like 1

The Gallows Pole. I'm a huge Shane Meadows fan, Dead Mans Shoes is one of the best movies ever made and This is England is is top TV for sure but Shane Meadows style doesn't seem to work as well with period dramas. Allowing the actors to improvise the dialogue works a lot better when the setting is a modern day council house, it's not convincing in an 18th century barn. Only 2 episodes in though maybe the 3rd will change my mind.

• Like 1

Oh, also tried watching Gunpowder on Netflix but gave up on it, it's thinly veiled pro-Catholic propaganda masquerading as historical drama, portraying a bunch of religious fanatics plotting mass murder as somehow heroic :no: the brutality with which the Catholics are treated may be partially historically accurate but is presented entirely without the proper context of the actions of the Catholic church in the preceding decades.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shogun said:

The Gallows Pole. I'm a huge Shane Meadows fan, Dead Mans Shoes is one of the best movies ever made and This is England is is top TV for sure but Shane Meadows style doesn't seem to work as well with period dramas. Allowing the actors to improvise the dialogue works a lot better when the setting is a modern day council house, it's not convincing in an 18th century barn. Only 2 episodes in though maybe the 3rd will change my mind.

I'm a fan of Shane Meadows too but I really couldn't get into The Gallows Pole, I gave up on it halfway through the second episode.

• Like 1

@Boojum I won't give any spoilers away in case anyone is going to watch Gunpowder but to be fair them, you do get to see the Catholics doing some horrible shit too. Might be episode 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KC said:

@Boojum I won't give any spoilers away in case anyone is going to watch Gunpowder but to be fair them, you do get to see the Catholics doing some horrible shit too. Might be episode 2.

Fair enough. I didn't make it that far lol the tone was just all wrong for me (I'm not in any way justifying what the English protestants did, far as I'm concerned they were as bad as each other, but context is everything and there were reasons for the persecution of Catholics in England, perceived retribution for the atrocities against protestants during the reign of bloody Mary and in Europe, the fact that there had been decades of assassination attempts and treasonous plots on the orders of the papacy etc, presenting the persecution of Catholics without that context is disingenuous).

• Like 1

On 27/03/2024 at 09:43, Boojum said:

Started watching 3 Body Problem. 

It's so bad that I thought the entire thing had been written by Chat GPT. lol  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saddam said:

It's so bad that I thought the entire thing had been written by Chat GPT. lol  

Aye, I gave up on it.

"Science is broken."

Oh fuck off lol

• Like 1

I feel bad for the guy who played Samwell in GoT, he's been in some dismal shite since then, Moonfall and now this turd.  

• Haha 1

Not sure what the thinking behind his casting was.

"He was good as a nice bloke in Game of Thrones so let's cast him as a bit of a twat." :unsure: (though as I alluded to previously all the characters seemed like twats, one of the things that put me off)