Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

darXound

If there's any K-drama fans here, i've just spent Saturday night ballin' my eyes out over the finale of "Trolley" on netflix. Korean shit hit's different.

On 08/03/2024 at 23:01, cypo74 said:

comes out every Tuesday, so probably have to wait a day for it 

Fixed that for you. :lookaround:

• Like 1

On 11/03/2024 at 20:41, Saddam said:

Fixed that for you. :lookaround:

So it is 😂  Worked all weekend and lost a day haha 

cheers 👍

Edited by cypo74
  • Like 1

The last 2 minutes of today's episode were pretty bonkers. 👀

I'm re-watching the 80s version which I haven't seen since the 80s, it's fucking quality tbh. 👌 @cypo74

lol  

• Like 3

@Saddam

just watched it mate, loving it so far, feels like it’s going to kick right off very soon 👍

haven’t seen the old one for years, might have to give it a whirl

It's only after re-watching the original that you realise how much money they spent on its production, great actors, amazing set design, real ships and a fuck tonne of costumes, extras and props. Even the blades look authentic and in some shots, real. $22 million in 1980 is over $70 million in today's money. :eek:

I'm watching Severance again, hoping that season 2 is nearly here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saddam said:

It's only after re-watching the original that you realise how much money they spent on its production, great actors, amazing set design, real ships and a fuck tonne of costumes, extras and props. Even the blades look authentic and in some shots, real. $22 million in 1980 is over $70 million in today's money. :eek:

I'm watching Severance again, hoping that season 2 is nearly here. 

Sean Connery was lined up to play Blackthorne and Toshiro Mifune played Lord Torunaga. At the time 2 of the most famous actors on the planet. 

Fun fact. Up until Shogun was made Toshiro Mifune was Akira Kurosawa's main man for nearly every movie. Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon etc etc. Kurosawa wasn't happy about him taking the role in Shogun and refused to work with him ever again.

@Saddam have you seen Kage No Gundan (shadow warriors) and The Yagyu Conspiracy? Both Samurai / Ninja TV series from the 80s starring Sonny Chiba? Thier fucking awesome shows and both are up on YouTube. It's Sonny Chibas defining roles.

• Like 3

sweettooth

The gentleman on netflix is worth it, 8 episode series

• Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 15:57, Shogun said:

Fun fact. Up until Shogun was made Toshiro Mifune was Akira Kurosawa's main man for nearly every movie. Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon etc etc. Kurosawa wasn't happy about him taking the role in Shogun and refused to work with him ever again.

There was more to the split between Kurosawa and Mifune, the Shogun thing was just kinda the straw that broke the camel's back and more an excuse than the main reason for the split (money was a big factor, with Minfune losing work because of the beard he had to have for 2 years for his final Kurosawa role, perhaps a factor in his deciding to do Shogun). It's one of cinema's great tragedies IMHO, Kurosawa and Mifune were one of the great actor/director partenrships, possibly the greatest :sadwalk: In later life I think they both acknowledged that they did their best work together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boojum said:

There was more to the split between Kurosawa and Mifune, the Shogun thing was just kinda the straw that broke the camel's back and more an excuse than the main reason for the split (money was a big factor, with Minfune losing work because of the beard he had to have for 2 years for his final Kurosawa role, perhaps a factor in his deciding to do Shogun). It's one of cinema's great tragedies IMHO, Kurosawa and Mifune were one of the great actor/director partenrships, possibly the greatest :sadwalk: In later life I think they both acknowledged that they did their best work together.

I'm a massive fan of Kurosawa and Mifune's movies, absolute masterpieces. Totally agree about them being the greatest actor director partnership (maybe joint with Scorsese / Deniro). However I'm not so sure how much of a tragedy it was that they parted ways when they did. It allowed Tatsuya Nakadai to step forward and play the lead role in Kurosawa's 1985 movie Ran. It's one of the best roles in any samurai movie, in fact any movie full stop. Nakadai is always in Toshiro Mifunes shadow and he shouldn't be. He's a living legend, still alive in his 90s, still making samurai movies and he is almost unknown in the west. Mifune brought cool to his roles, Nakadai brought a very diverse acting range.

Sword of Doom back to back with The Human Condition is some of the best cinema ever. Polar opposite characters. Fantastic acting.

Edited by Shogun
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, monkeypig said:

It just got sillier and sillier.

I think it's meant to be quite light hearted. I mean a multi million pound cannabis operation that runs on flourescents can't be taken too seriously lol

I managed to get through all 8 episodes (not at once though)

Larry Badgeley

I watched a Documentary on the plane home from Bangkok about the Hypnosis artwork company who made iconic album covers from Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, 10cc Yes etc etc. It was really interesting to hear how they came up with Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here and all the other wonderful albums. Sorry didn't recall the name of it. I also watched Eat to Extinction (i think) - will not eat Fish again !!

I think it's called Squaring the Circle: The Story of Hipgnosis (I think it's on Netflix) :)

I'm currently watching Twisted Metal. It ain't gonna win any awards and it ain't the best TV adaptation of a video game ever (although I thought The Last of Us was superb I still think my favourite TV videogame spinoff is Arcane: League of Legends and I've never even played the game, just thought it was a stunning bit of animated storytelling :) ) but it's fun enough and lifted massively by Anthony Mackie's charismatic lead, it's a shame he got dragged into the 'MCU', his commitment to all the fucking sequels and spinoffs and money making Marvel shite has hampered his career IMHO preventing him from appearing in stuff that's actually good and worthy of his talent :sadwalk: (maybe if people stopped watching it Marvel would stop shitting it out).

• Like 1

I am looking back a bit these days. First few seasons of Starskey and Hutch, didn't seem so brutal back then, some tough to watch scenes indeed. Shoestring lol fuck me that was decent to.

Porrige on IPlayer, not laughed so hard since I last watched it. Has to be up there for the best sitcom. 18 episodes (not counting the crimbo ones or the film) of pure comedic genius.

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 5