Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

On 09/02/2024 at 08:38, Bram Toker said:

Australian crime drama The Boy Who Swallowed The Universe.

Correction. This drama is called Boy Swallows Universe.

• Like 1

If you like a bit of Sci-fi with battles, Halo season 1 was awesome, just started season 2. Anyone else watching?

• Like 1

I tried to like season 4 of True Detective - Night Country, but I can't.

The opening sequence is promising with echoes of The Thing, but then we get nothing but kitchen sinkery and angsty moping for the rest of the episode. It goes on like this.

• Like 1

I finished Boy Swallows Universe. I would definitely recommend this series. A solid 8 out of 10.

Edited by Bram Toker
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Bram Toker said:

I finished Boy Swallows Universe. I would definitely recommend this series. A solid 8 out of 10.

I thoroughly enjoyed it myself too,  binged it in a day. Went quite dark at times, but some fantastic performances in it. I'd recommend it to anyone .

• Like 3

5 hours ago, monkeypig said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it myself too,  binged it in a day. Went quite dark at times, but some fantastic performances in it. I'd recommend it to anyone .

I was looking at this, shall have to watch it now 😃

• Like 2

Tried to watch Wheel of Time again, just can't get into it, it's the kind of sub-Tolkein 'high fantasy' rubbish that was shat out in great volume in the 80s and 90s that helped give the genre a bad reputation (until 'grimdark' came along and thankfully breathed some new life into the fantasy genre - I can't for the life of me understand why TV companies aren't mining that vein for the 'next Game of Thrones', Joe Abercrombie's brilliant First Law books would be a much better fit for TV, or Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, or basically anything that isn't just apeing Tolkein).

Also gave The Rings of Power another go, talking of apeing Tolkein, couldn't get into that either. Not particularly arsed about all the crap that some fanboys were complaining about (the usual 'that character shouldn't have dark skin' nonsense :rolleyes: ), I just though it was utterly miscast, not one iota of charisma in the whole cast (apart from the Harfoot lass), particularly Galadriel, who comes across as a petulant child.

E2A To be the 'next Game of Thrones' a show will have to be a potentially great series utterly ruined by a dogshit final season that turned what could have been one of the best TV shows ever into one of the worst simply because of the shite ending :ouch:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

On a more positive note I'm currently watching (and enjoying) Detectorists on iPlayer :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

just finished Maniac, very absorbing tale of a computer with a personality, a man expected to lie in court for his brother, a woman who has a terrible secret, and a ground breaking drug trial, fucking bonkers at times, but thoroughly enjoyable. 8/10

• Like 1

Just popped in to say Thanks in advance @stummer, that one looks right up my street. My other half worked in Dublin for several years.

Anyone who recommended Boy Swallows Universe was correct.

Detectorists is possibly the best series ever aired, with notable mentions for Shameless and Peep Show.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bulldogbill91 said:

Just finished griselda on Netflix , woman Colombian drug lord six episode'a based on a true story worth a watch.

The only man I was ever afraid was a woman griselda blanco - pablo escobar

Finished that one other day, she was better looking than the real one lol was good worth a watch 😃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boojum said:

On a more positive note I'm currently watching (and enjoying) Detectorists on iPlayer :)

One of my faves, wonderful show.

A bit of trivia- I watched a super film on Netflix the other night called 'The Outfit', a mob thriller/whodunit set almost entirely in a tailors shop with the brilliant Mark Rylance in the lead role. One of the mob guys, Francis, is played by British actor Johnny Flynn, the guy who wrote and performed the theme song to the Detectorists. 

• Like 1

started the monster box set of The Shield last night, seen this before years ago, but was pleasantly surprised to see it was just as good as i remember it. probably the best cop show ever, and i say that with the wire in mind, the first three seasons of that were superb, but the fourth was utter garbage.

that's me sorted for the next month lol

• Like 2

On 15/02/2024 at 03:18, Killuminati7 said:

I was looking at this, shall have to watch it now 😃

I should mention I had the benefit of low expectations when I started to watch it. Sometimes when something gets hyped too much it inevitably disappoints but definitely give it a go and let us know what you think.

On 15/02/2024 at 19:54, Island Lifer said:

played by British actor Johnny Flynn

His albums are good as well. And gigs with The sussex wit. Sea shanty type stuff. He's an artist.