Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

i watched a couple of episodes of Bodies - a scifi murder mystery with multiple timeline perspectives. Cool concept let down by atrocious dialog that sounds like it was written by a tin eared AI.

Just finished watching Korean drama Song of the Bandits on Netflix...thoroughly enjoyed it...visually I was reminded of the films of Sam Peckinpah, Sergio Leone and Bertolucci's The Last Emperor...would definitely recommend...

• Like 1

Lawmen: Bass Reeves :) It's a pretty decent western based on the true story of Bass Reeves, an enslaved man who became the first black US marshal. 

Apparently, the Lone Ranger was inspired by the life of Bass Reeves. Anyway, really enjoyed the first two episodes.  

Blue Eye Samurai - Japanese style animation set in late Shogunate era Japan. A despised mixed race swordsman sets out on revenge. The artwork is stunning.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't at all impressed with Bass Reeves I'm afraid, watched a couple of episodes, doubt I'll watch any more.

Sat through The Burning Girls (also on Paramount +). Yet another attempt at a TV horror series made by people who clearly don't understand the genre (though I suspect the source material is partly to blame, TV companies do insiste on adapting shit books, a notable example being all the truly atrocious shows based on Harlan Coben books, presumably because they sold well :rolleyes: ). What an actress of Samantha Morton's calibre was doing in it is utterly beyond me. Most of the stuff on Paramount + is shite, Yellowjackets and South Park being the notable exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it on sky TV guide but must be on bbc iPlayer. Started watching that Irish series Kin. Mainly as I was such a big fan of love/hate. Only two episodes in so far but seems like it might be alright.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/11/2023 at 6:33 PM, Simple Jack said:

Blue Eye Samurai - Japanese style animation set in late Shogunate era Japan. A despised mixed race swordsman sets out on revenge. The artwork is stunning.

Just watched that, thought it was excellent (and looks stunning like you say, some great fight sequences too). Thought the episode The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride was superb.

Cheers to the folks who mentioned Schitt's Creek, watched the first couple of episodes a while back and really didn't get into it (apart from the town sign, which did make me laugh out loud lol ) but cos others enjoyed it I gave it another go and I'm really enjoying it now, I guess first time round I didn't get the tone or summat :unsure:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Started the new series of Reacher the other night, a bit pissed off with prime :wanker: (and myself for not noticing) coz they only released the first 3 episodes and are drip feeding the rest 1 per week..

Had to rewatch the first series instead for a temporary fix lol

• Like 2

Took my son to see Gremlins at the cinema last night. Completely forgot about the scene where Phoebe Gates says "That's how I found out Santa Claus isn't real". 

On 07/11/2023 at 6:33 PM, Simple Jack said:

Where can I see this? I love samurai stuff

57 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

Is there a reboot or is it the old one rereleased?

The original one mate. Don't think it's re-released as such but Odeon play a few Christmas classics over the festive period. My local Odeon has actually been pretty good all year for older movies. Over the last couple of months they have shown Scarface, Christine, Friday the 13th, The Shining and Beetlejuice.

Edited by Shogun
  • Like 1