Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Song of the Bandits - Korean spaghetti western set in the China/Korean borderlands in the wake of the Japanese annexation. Think "The Water Margin" meets "The Wild Bunch".

The Reckoning.  Pretty uncomfortable viewing in places but really well put together, the cast are amazing but Coogan's performance is absolutely incredible. 

• Like 2

The coming war with China. 

John Pilger from 2016 on Netflix. 

Watched it before but the Mrs hadn't seen it, the Marshall islanders plight was an eye opener, a hiroshima every day for 12  years. Imagine that.

• Like 1

"The Reckoning" BBC1...DocuDrama starring Steve Cougan

Watched the second part of four last night...what an evil nasty kiddy (and corpse) fiddling cunt Jimmy Savil was.

Cougan does a great job of portraying his slimy character and mannerisms ...sickenly awful but compulsive viewing.

• Like 1

Watched The Reckoning. Steve Cougan is chillingly good, but I'm not sure about the actual progamme, didn't really offer much insight, seemed mostly surface to me (and I'm sure there was much more to how he was able to cover up so much up for so long).

Stated watching The Long Shadow. So far it's good, respectfully done and not sensationalist (unlike the recentish Netflix drama about Jeffrey Dahmer, which I thought was horribly exploitative and voyeuristic, though that's hardly suprising since it was ceated by Ryan Murphy :soap: ). The contrast between the two is stark, The Long Shadow is how to do a TV drama about a serial killer, Netflix's Dahmer is how not to.

Edited by Boojum

20 hours ago, stu914 said:

Steve Cougan

1 hour ago, Boojum said:

Steve Cougan

Why is everyone spelling his name like that? Am I missing something? :unsure:  

Paul Calf says 'fucking students' lol  

• Like 2

Just watched the first two The Reckoning as well. Coogan's portrayal is so fucking accurate, he's really nailed it from what I can tell. Even the way he sits in his chair when being interviewed. Quite amazing acting tbh. It's a difficult watch at times, and Savile really does make your skin crawl. What a disgusting piece of shit he truly was.

I think it's a compelling series so far. I'm not sure how much more they could show about how he got away with dong what he did - it's pretty clear to me and also very simple - he was a master manipulator of people. People simply didn't believe he could do any wrong. They thought he was a saint. Except the people who really knew what he was doing, or had suspicions. The majority of the country loved the cunt. Me included. As a kid, I was desperate to go on Jim'll Fix It.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Why is everyone spelling his name like that? Am I missing something? :unsure:  

Paul Calf says 'fucking students' lol  

Brainfart. I think I was just typing on autopilot, kinda like autocorrect, the coo/cou sound just automatically came out cou even though I know it's spelld Coogan (kinda like how I often spell weird with the ie the wrong way round cos I just automatically type ie since that's the usual way round) :doh:

Bag of shite lol

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Saddam said:

Why is everyone spelling his name like that? Am I missing something?

Just shows how much attention I've given to his name spelling, little to none...:rofl:

At least I've given you something to do Sads mate...and you get to correct me...so don't make no mistakes in the future bud...

(Hope you like the double negative...fecking grates doesn't it? ...:rofl:)

• Like 1

Top Boy.

If you enjoyed The Wire you'll love this. Similar street dealing type plot and has the same gritty realism and intensity with great character development. set in Hackney with the Wire's Baltimore street dialect replaced by an equally dense London-Caribbean one (subtitles are useful for the first few episodes till you pick it up)

Seasons 1 and 2 have only 4 episodes each and I think were pretty low budget at the time in 2011 on channel 4. Netflix then revived it in 2019 and it really takes off from that point. The series was recently concluded with season 5.

Note that on Netflix, seasons 1 and 2 appear under the title "Top Boy: Summerhouse", and seasons 3,4 and 5 appear as "Top Boy" 1,2 and 3, presumably so that Netflix can claim it as "a Netflix Original", which it isn't. You can certainly pick it up from 3 but I'd recommend starting with the original 1 and 2 for the early character development.

Just binged all 5 seasons. Brilliant. Better than The Wire IMHO.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:06 PM, stu914 said:

"The Reckoning" BBC1...DocuDrama starring Steve Cougan

Watched the second part of four last night...what an evil nasty kiddy (and corpse) fiddling cunt Jimmy Savil was.

Cougan does a great job of portraying his slimy character and mannerisms ...sickenly awful but compulsive viewing.

Watched 3 of them last evening. Sometimes Coogan reminded me of Paul Calf. Top stuff. "Now then now then".

A manipulative and evil cunt. The Pope, Snatcher, Big Ears and Di, everyone for his means. I play golf with someone who knew Savile's Lacky in the 60's. Says he was an ugly twat who was under Savile's spell.

• Like 2