Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Carnival Row is fucking atrocious, the plot is thin and predictable, the writing's weak, the CGI looks like it's from the late 90s and the costumes look like they were ordered from Ebay, the only good thing about it is the make-up.  

Hello Tomorrow is yet more poorly written garbage, the premise feels like a desperate play to be original so it gets noticed but it's very thin and poorly executed. I gave up after one of the characters said he 'could care less' when he obviously meant couldn't care less. :soap:  Just how fucking dumb are the writers?

Carnival Row seemed (like a lot of stuff nowadays) like it was written by a focus group based on a checklist of things that were current trends in other popular TV shows that would lead to high viewer figures instead of actual writers who know how to do things like plot and dialogue and have an affinity with the fantasy genre.

I think "Could care less." is an Americanism, it crops up a lot in American TV (and annoys me every time lol ).

• Like 1

I just stopped watching any Netflix/Amazon Original programming a while ago.

It's all, seemingly every bit of it, written by groups of people who use data to base their work on. Scenario is based on pop culture, the people are zeitgeist, values of characters are what the writers understand the watchers to be interested in watching based on what they've watched before and then a director will be picked who has directed other programs that are popular on that platform.

The reverse of the Watchers Algorithm is this, the Writers Algorithm. It's like that fucking Abomination Of The Rings they squirted out.

It's a big reach around loop. WhatWillTheyWatchWhatAreTheyWatching. Everyone wanking each other. 

Mediocre is the new normal. No one is scared or triggered or angered or upset or excited by anything.

• Like 5

Aye man, no creativity, no originality, no risk, just churning out carbon copies of stuff that's got high viewing figures in the past cos that's what it's all about. What they don't seem to get is that quality is something that brings in viewers and that's not something that can come from a formula (and something that's sorely lacking from the vast majority of shit they churn out because they're trying to do it from a formula).

E2A I'm only watching Netflix cos I've got time left on a free subcription lol but I have run out of anything even halfway decent now lol

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Watched The Last of Us. I thought it was excellent (and Bella Ramsey in particular was superb, she's going to be a star, if she isn't already). But I'd still say my favourite video game adaptation is Arcane: League of Legends (and I haven't even played the game), I thought that was absolutely stunning.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

@BoojumArcane was great. I’ve got zero interest in the game but watched the series on a friend’s recommendation and really enjoyed it

• Like 1

Found a gem on Netflix that I hadn't noticed. The BBC medical drama Bodies from 2004, I remember watching it when it was originally on and it being excellent so I'm happy to give it another watch (and on the theme of medical dramas if anyone hasn't watched it I highly recommend This Is Going To Hurt, available on the BBC iPlayer, which I thought was absolutely brilliant, blackly funny and gut-wrenchingly serious, just superb TV).

• Like 2

I think it's that increasingly rare thing: 'must-watch' telly, I thought it was that good :notworthy:

Though I wouldn't recommend watching either that or Bodies if you've got a hospital appointment coming up...

Edited by Boojum

On 09/03/2023 at 5:20 PM, Degsy said:

I doubt anybody will have heard of it

It's hard to pick up sarcasm on the internet. You joking right? lol 

I really did like the Sopranos, I'd watch it again tbf.

I've been watching The Fall on Netflix this week, it's the old serial killer thing again, it's not too terrible really. They do have some weird shots in it though, yesterday I was watching Gillian Andersons one eye for about 10seconds as that was pretty much all that was in the shot. I couldn't work out why though. I suppose they think it's arty :unsure:

• Like 1

Apparently the male actor is getting paid as much for one episode as Bella Ramsey is getting for the whole season. Her manager must be shit.

On 3/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, KC said:

It's hard to pick up sarcasm on the internet. You joking right? lol 

I really did like the Sopranos, I'd watch it again tbf.

Yes , it's one of those things that people always told me was great and I thought wasn't really that good but

it turns out I was probably more wrong than right. I'm really enjoying it so far , I'm on Series 3 Episode 8.

James Gandolfini is really excellent , I think he elevates it to another level

• Like 5

Currently watching season 2 of Barry after bingeing season 1. Love it, particularly the lampooning of acting classes cos I kinda grew up around theatre people cos my mum worked in the theatre (Henry Winkler is just a joy, as is Anthony Carrigan :D ).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...