Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

Gave Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities a go (and MAN has he got fucking fat :thisbig: I fear for his health ). Really disappointing given the pedigree (and guilty of one of my pet peeves, changing the plot of the source material :frown: ), one to avoid, I'd watch Masters of Horror from a few years back instead, same idea but done much better. Just started watching The Midnight Club, which so far seems much better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

The Bastard Son and the Devil Himself - Teenagers with magic powers is a well worn genre, but this is quite good.

Just started watching that.

Kinda annoys me that although there are a lot of TV shows on streaming platforms that claim to be horror, when you watch the first episode of a lot of them it turns out they are actually part of this peculiar genre that never existed when I was in my mid-late teens : "Young adult.". But I'm probably just getting old  lol Or it's zombies, man am I fucking bored with zombies :yawn:lol Teenage vampires/werewolves or fucking zombies. Just fuck off lol 

I digress, started watching it and I mentioned the above because although it's probably in the "Young adult." genre, and although it kinda appears at first glance to be Harry Potter meets Romeo and Juliet, it's actually much better than that, good dialogue and characters, a well imagined background/setting and enough to it to keep me watching :)

• Like 1

On 02/11/2022 at 6:31 PM, Boojum said:

Gave Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities a go (and MAN has he got fucking fat :thisbig: I fear for his health ). Really disappointing given the pedigree (and guilty of one of my pet peeves, changing the plot of the source material :frown: ), one to avoid, I'd watch Masters of Horror from a few years back instead, same idea but done much better. Just started watching The Midnight Club, which so far seems much better.

We've watched 4 at the moment. A bit gruesome but we have enjoyed them. I'll check out The Midnight Club on your recommendation. Got "Dead of Night" recorded to watch at the weekend. Michael Redgrave and the Dummy is the one I remember most. A 1945 classic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

We've watched 4 at the moment. A bit gruesome but we have enjoyed them. I'll check out The Midnight Club on your recommendation. Got "Dead of Night" recorded to watch at the weekend. Michael Redgrave and the Dummy is the one I remember most. A 1945 classic.

Dead of Night is a classic :)

I'd give The Midnight Club a miss, it started well but then went to shit :sadwalk: If you're after a decent horror series on Netflix then I'd recommend Archive 81, I thought that was pretty good :) The Haunting of Hill House was good too (I don't usually like it when they mess with the source material and the series had very little to do with Shirley Jackson's masterful novella, but I thought it was good anyway, didn't think much of the follow-up series The Haunting of Bly Manor, which is another loose 'adaptation', this time of Henry James' superb The Turn of the Screw). Both books have been adapted more faithfully (and far better) in the black and white movies The Haunting (The 1966 one directed by Robert Wise, avoid the 1999 version, it's an abomination) and The Innocents (the 1961 one directed by Jack Clayton) and I highly recomment both :)

Edited by Boojum

Tulsa King

Following his release from prison, mafia capo Dwight "The General" Manfredi is exiled to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he builds a new criminal empire with a group of unlikely characters.

First episode out, thought it was quite good. 

:oldtoker:

Has anyone watched Ozark ?

Watched the first episode cos overall the series has had decent reviews, but the 2 main characters come across as so unpleasant that I just don't care what happens to them. Is it worth sticking with despite that ? (I kept watching Breaking Bad even though Walter was a cunt).

• Like 4

Hi @Boojum, I thought is was ok,

There are some decent characters in it, but those two I didn't get on with either. I liked Ruth (Julia Garner) and some of the others though. 

Watchable but not great. 

:oldtoker:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boojum said:

Has anyone watched Ozark ?

Watched the first episode cos overall the series has had decent reviews, but the 2 main characters come across as so unpleasant that I just don't care what happens to them. Is it worth sticking with despite that ? (I kept watching Breaking Bad even though Walter was a cunt).

I gave up after the first series, wasn't keen on any of the main characters, especially the mother!

• Like 1

Cheers @Clumsy and @bill cooper may give it another couple of episodes, just running out/have run out of stuff to watch on Netflix and still got some time left on the subscription lol trying to find anything to watch before it runs out, get my money's worth skinflint that I am lol 3 month free subscription to Apple TV next up lol I seriously doubt there's even a month's worth of anything worth watching on that, let alone 3 lol

• Like 1