Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

lol I think I spotted Phil Daniels in the final group scene, so I suspect he's gonna be a character in the forthcoming episodes lol

Funny you say that @Boojum I think it's got progressively more shite as it's gone on that last episode was utterly boring. Clearly they spent the majority of the episode's budget on that 2 minute dragon ride, and it wasn't enough to save the episode.

Utter snore fest if you ask me

Edited by NezA
  • Like 1

Just now, NezA said:

Funny you say that @Boojum I think it's got progressively more shite as it's gone on that last episode was utterly boring. Clearly they spent the majority of the episode's budget on that 2 minute dragon ride, and it wasn't enough to save the episode.

Utter snore fest if you ask me

Fair enough.

I've only been watching it after a few ciders and spliffs when I'm waiting for the Liverpool game, so my judgement is slightly skewwhiff lol

(I thought the big dragon scene was quite well done, in a chiche'd way but still, the music quieting when it dives behind the secenery then the orchestra kicks in when it appears over the top, I'm a sucker for that kinda thing :bag: )

• Like 1

@Boojum it's horses for courses ain't it, not everyone is going to have the same opinion about everything. I'm going to stick with it but I definitely preferred the start compared to where it is at the moment. Just one of those things ain't it.

Given a few of Netflix's horror/supernatural/sci fi shows a go in the last week, given that Halloween is approaching (and my netflix subscription runs out before then lol ). Watched Archive 81, which I thought did some things very well and definitely has a 'Lovecraftian' feel (a much overused term nowadays, mostly used erroneously by people who have never actually read Lovecraft but like using buzzwords :rolleyes: but in this case I think it's appropriate) but I think the ending was a bit of a cop out. Also watched Brand New Cherry Flavour, which was enjoyably silly but again let down by a damp squib of an ending (which kinda came across as just a set up for a season 2, something that gets on my tits). Gave The OA a go but kinda gave up on it after 4 episodes cos it's just a bit too slow going for my taste. Gave You a go but lost interest, same with The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Locke & Key. Currently watching Dark, up to the start of season 2 and enjoying it, I'd say of all of them it's the best of the lot so far (I'll have to watch to the end to say for sure, but it's just got more to it to keep my attention than the others, even if time-travel stuff doesn't usually interest me much).

Edited by Boojum

The Santa Clarita Diet. Family Guy (or American Dad, I forget which) savaged it, but they kinda savage anything regardless of whether it's actually any good or not. I'm quite enjoying it (more than I enjoy Family Guy or American Dad...). It's very silly and cheesy but also funny and strangely endearing, in a blood and gore spattered, flesh eating kinda way lol

• Like 2

Started watching The Witcher recently and it's much better than I thought it would be, although its very Game of Thrones esque, but Henry Cavill is spot on in his portrayal of Geralt.

Also just rewatched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace again, it's criminal that this show didn't get anymore seasons!

• Like 1

Finished binge-watching Breaking Bad, cos I'd never watched all of it :ohmygod: (I watched the first couple of seasons years ago, last time I had Netflix free for a month but the subscription ran out and I didn't renew it). And started watching Better Call Saul. To be honest I think I prefer Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad was kinda full-on Greek tragedy, whereas Better Call Saul is more tragicomedy and that's more to my taste (and I prefer Jimmy/Saul as a character to Walter, he's flawed and a coward and stuff but that kinda makes him human, Walter was just an ego monster and by the end of Breaking Bad I wanted him to die).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Boojum said:

Finished binge-watching Breaking Bad, cos I'd never watched all of it :ohmygod: (I watched the first couple of seasons years ago, last time I had Netflix free for a month but the subscription ran out and I didn't renew it). And started watching Better Call Saul. To be honest I think I prefer Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad was kinda full-on Greek tragedy, whereas Better Call Saul is more tragicomedy and that's more to my taste (and I prefer Jimmy/Saul as a character to Walter, he's flawed and a coward and stuff but that kinda makes him human, Walter was just an ego monster and by the end of Breaking Bad I wanted him to die).

Vince Gillligan said that he wanted to see how long he could make the audience side with Walt even though he is clearly a horrible person. He also said "im gonna miss Walt" and i kinda felt like that at the end. One of the best characters ever for me. Saul is a great too but its a different beast as you say. 

• Like 1

There aren't many stories where the protagonist degrades from hero (or at least regular guy), downwards. Breaking Bad is one of the only examples I can think of. There's zero redemption for the character, no lessons learned, no return or comeback or make-good. It's pretty good storytelling when you can keep that up.

Has anyone seen the WuTang series on Disney+?

Now, I'm not from Staten Island, didn't grow up like that; but I remember passing around copies of 36 Chambers before it was released and how different it was to anything else released. It's a good bit of history and if you've got Disney+, I think you should try it. 

• Like 1